Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Rim ERDs when swapping rims – how much of a difference is too much?
  • AlasdairMc

I need to swap over a wheel built with a Stans Rival (like a Crest with eyelets) onto a Flow. The ERD of the Crest (and I’m presuming the Rival) is 605mm. The ERD of the Flow is 600mm, so I’ve therefore got spokes for a rim 5mm wider than what I am intending to swap.

Is 2.5mm each end likely to fit the same spokes or is it new spokes time as well as new rim?

I’ve no concerns around the durability of the existing spokes whatsoever, the reason for replacement is a crack in the sidewall and I’m just trying to be a cheapskate – there were no spoke breaks.

coatesy
    Free Member

First thing to check is whether your spokes are the correct length in your existing rim, if they’re flush, or protruding through the nipple, i’d recommend new spokes (even if they’ll thread on far enough to tighten without bottoming out, you won’t have a good amount of thread engagement), if they’re sat a few mm below, they’ll probably be ok.

Andy-R

I’d measure the ERD of the Rival first, since you’re only assuming it’s the same as a Crest – it may not be.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Rim ERDs when swapping rims – how much of a difference is too much?’ is closed to new replies.