Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rim dents – how do carbon rims fair?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Just straightened three dents in my rear Hope Enduro rim. If I was running carbon rims, how would have they dealt with the forces that dented my alu rim?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Would be a little tougher depending on who made them as with everything but you’ll know when you dent one as it’ll normally go with the sound of a cracking stick lol

mattyfez

Like for like (if there is such a thing) they should hold up a lot better than the equivalent weight aluminium rim, but if you had some light carbon XC wheels, don’t be surprised if you crack them doing DH. Carbon is not indestructible.

For example when I bought mine they recommended AM layup due to my weight (95kg) even though I only really do XC type stuff. They were a bit but not massively lighter than my outgoing aluminium wheelset, but notably stiffer and significantly stronger in theory. I say in theory as I’ve not cracked them so it’s hard to say how tough they are!

goodgrief
    Free Member

The decent ones deal with impacts very well and certainly shrug off what would dent aluminium. The crux is, a big impact in a certain way can kill the rim.

I’ve managed to crack one LB 35mm rim but that’s literally been the only single issue in two years. I reckon I’d have gone through 5+ alu rims in the same period which is enough to spoil your confidence in your kit when you’re away for a race weekend or on an Alps trip.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Getting a bit fed up of how easy the rear rim dents. I’ll have to run tyre pressures higher than I’d like, so switching to carbon could be an option.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be nervous of carbon if I was a serial rim dinger.

Tracey

Probably just luck but Abigale flatted the rear tyre on stage three of the Grizedale Enduro last weekend and rode the last 100m of the stage with it flat. Cant find a mark on the Roval carbon rim.

goodgrief
    Free Member

That’s the thing, they don’t ding and they are very tough. Most are wider and lighter so you can run tougher tyres at lower pressure and still have decent rolling speeds for the climbs.

scaled
    Free Member

I cracked a LB 35mm AM rim in two places, on the first ride. Refused warranty too despite the fact the cracks propagated from the eyelets.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Currently nursing the wheel through gradual increased tyre pressure until the sealant finally plugs the last stubborn leak. To be fair, it’s one particular rock garden I seem to do all the damage on, so will learn a better line and live with 5psi or so more in the rear until I can afford or justify a carbon wheelset.

mattyfez

I guess there’s a lot of variables with denting /cracking a rim, pressure too low for weight, wheel simply not strong enough, bad line, riding in a mechanical unsympathetic manner..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rim dents – how do carbon rims fair?’ is closed to new replies.