Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rim dented, now blowing air through the seam. Dead?
  • nickdavies

Dinged a rim today, pulled it out this evening and popped the tyre back on to see if it would now seat (dent prevented the tyre seating).

Tyre seats OK but the ding is about 1 inch from the seam of the wheel, and now the seam is letting out air at the bead. Haven’t put any sealant in yet as i’ve not got a lot left and don’t want to waste it if the rim’s no use. Is sealant likely to seal the seam or am I just asking for trouble?

eep

Sealant will more than likely work but if the weld has failed and started letting air through I’d replace the rim. sealant wont improve the strength of the rim.

mjsmke

Use an inner tube?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthepies
    Free Member

Can you bend the rim back into shape with molegrips* or similar ?

* the tool not the VW owning forum member.

nickdavies

Can you bend the rim back into shape with molegrips* or similar ?

Done, dent out, that bit is sorted and holding fine. It’s the welded seam that is leaking air, and whether or not it would be stupid to carry on riding it tubeless or otherwise knowing the seam has failed…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sealant will more than likely work but if the weld has failed and started letting air through I’d replace the rim. sealant wont improve the strength of the rim.

The weld doesn’t add anything to the rim strength, hence a lot of rims are only pinned as there’s not any force pulling the rim apart, the spokes are actually puling it together. Stick some electrical tape around the rim to seal it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rim dented, now blowing air through the seam. Dead?’ is closed to new replies.