Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rim advice – so to speak!
  • itchy
    Free Member

Getting some new ProII’s built up but not sure which rims to use. 15 stone, enjoy riding trail centres on my full susser. Any recommendations?

Thought about one of the 21mm Mavic rims, but whats the difference between the EN, XM and EX? Also, I know the last two digits stand for the internal width of the rim, but whats the 3, 5 and 7 signify?

lunge

The number is the quality of the rim, the higer the number, the better the rim.

The letters relate the the rims intended useage, i think XM are the burliest, EX in the middle and EN the lightest. I may be wring here though!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

The number is the quality of the rim, the higer the number, the better the rim.

what bollox!

it relate sto the internal diameter of the rim! letter do relate to usuage – quite correct. What about deemax in your "burliest" category?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mate – I’m 16.5 stone (I know bat fastard etc, but I carry it well…) and easily get away with Mavic 819s even 717s if I’m careful and use 2.35 tyres. I also run Spesh Roval Traverse factory built wheels, which are actually lighter than 717s and so far they work fine.

I heard the same as lunge re the first number, something to do with being welded (3) pinned and welded (5) and then something else for (7), maybe fairy dust.

The ‘8’ refers to a rim being UST.

itchy
    Free Member

Chill out Ralph mate. The laast two numbers relate to the rim width as mentioned in first post. I think I’ve all but decided on EX721’s.

lunge

racing_ralph, there are 3 numbers, the last 2 are the width, the first 1 is the range. A 721 is the same width as a 321 but the former is a better rim.

Oh and the question was about rims, not wheel sets, hence the Deemax does not fall into that rule.

geetee1972
    Free Member

721s are beefy enough for full on DH use and so they are a heavy rim, I think in the region of 580g each. Compare that to an 819, which is 450g per rim.

If you’re not using them for DH you might be just as happy with a less burly rim like the 819 or 717. Saving weight on your wheels, particularly rims, does make a big difference – 230g of rotating weight will be very noticeable.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

fair play – pwned on tinternet the shame 😳

johnners
    Free Member

Oh come on ralph, graceful and slightly ironic acceptance that you’re wrong just isn’t the STW way. You’ll get banned.

itchy
    Free Member

Quick change of mind, gone ffor the 719’s instead. Thanks for your help folks!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

geetee – 819s are 450g granted but they require additional bits for the spokes which take them over the 500g mark – this i am sure of!!

johnners
    Free Member

719s are a good choice for an all rounder. I’m 15 stone-ish kitted up and use them on a couple of bikes without problems.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I use 823 heavier than others but won’t go out of true with an idiot hitting them into things stupidly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rim advice – so to speak!’ is closed to new replies.