Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riksgransen
  • tommyhine

Any ever been here before?

Just won a competition to go over there for 4 days, so excited. 🙂

Grump
    Free Member

There’s great skiing there Feb to June, not sure that’s what you’re looking to hear though! Narvik and the coast isn’t too far away by train so you’ll probably get better riding there.

GEDA
    Free Member

It’s long way from anywhere. Hope your flight is included.

bajsyckel

Summer or winter? What Grum p said is pretty true for the spring, but there’s some interesting riding in the summer from what I’ve seen. Some of the routes out to the various stugas near Abisko/ Riksgransen or through to Narvik look good (if short) and are published in the Swedish guidebooks, and have seen other ride reports in the area on forums. Four days isn’t long, from the UK you’ll spend almost as long getting there and back 😉 . Post up some reports when you go though ’cause I’d fancy a trip up sometime with the bike if it looked good.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

When you going?
    Which is sort of like the question someone else asked but more specific. To be honest I’d be surprised if there was much of a MTB scene there are all given that the skiing lasts well into what we’d class summer.

I did 10 days skiing there a few years ago at the end of May/beginning of June. We had fresh on at least 4 of those days. The lake was frozen solid and we had an excellent time ‘water’ skiing on it towed behind a skido.
    I can’t really imagine there’s many days left between the snow melting and the onset of winter again.
    Maybe there’s biking in August/September.

matildaw
    Free Member

I have been a few times (helps that I am Swedish). Which time of year are you going? The proper ski season doesn’t start ’til late as it is too cold and – mainly – too dark well into March or so. But yep, then the snow stays on the ground until mid-June!

I have never cycled around Riksgränsen but have done a lot of trekking, and because the snow melts so late it is very muddy (not to mention mosquito-y) up until July. So the proper summer trekking season is from late July to September. Or something like that.

tommyhine

I’m going ski touring/snowboarding on a thing called the Haglofs arctic weekend, everythings included apart from drinks and travel to heathrow.

So not really to worried about the MTB scene up there, I’m pretty chuffed to have won it.

It’s all fully guided back country boarding with ice climbing and igloo building and all sorts of other stuff. Looks great to me.

Even better because I couldn’t afford to get out on the board this season any way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riksgransen’ is closed to new replies.