Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rigid steel fork.
  • dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I’m in the market for a rigid steel fork to grce the front end of my WTB Phoenix. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at or what might be right for the geometry?

amplebrew

Surly you’d be wanting a Type 2 for a WTB 8)

charliedontsurf

Salsa rigid forks are very nice, look good and ride very well.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Wasn’t aware of the Type 2 but that does seem like it would have to be the right one.

amplebrew

dbukdbuk – Member
    Wasn’t aware of the Type 2 but that does seem like it would have to be the right one.

I pretty sure that Steve will have welded the frame, so it seems right to have a Type 2.

Depends on budget and how long you can wait though.

zbonty

Whats the damage on a type 2 then? I’m guessing $200?

woodsman
    Free Member

I think you may be in for a shock then (no pun intended) a Potts fork is more like 600-800 dollars from memory…..

amplebrew

I think a Type 2 is around $400 to $500 dollars so around £240 to £300. You’d need to add 20% and a bit of a handling charge on top of that.

I’m not 100% on that though.

It’s obviously not going to be as cheap as an ‘off the peg’ fork, but a WTB Pheonix is such a special bike that Steve would have probably welded up.

Edit –

woodsman – Member
    I think you may be in for a shock then (no pun intended) a Potts fork is more like 600-800 dollars from memory…..

I might be miles away on my pricing then.

You could always send him an e-mail to SteveATstevepottsbicyclesDOTcom and see what he says. He’s a really great chap and very helpful.

Hairychested
    Free Member

The Salsa fork has served me nicely for the past 4 years. Comfy, light, looks good.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

$775 if you want a single colour. Bit on the pricey side eh?

amplebrew

So that’s going to be around £460, plus 20% vat and the handling charge; so approximately £600 (ish) all in.

I suppose it depends on the condition of the Phoenix and how much you love it 😉

zbonty

Good $$ margin there. Jeez

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Add $125 for two tone paint…….

amplebrew

Do you need two tone paint though, what colour is the frame?

If the bike was cherished and in great condition; then I’d bite the bullet myself.

It is a lot of cash for a rigid fork, but Sids and Rebas aren’t far off. The fact that Steve would have welded the frame would also be too strong a connection for me to resist 😀

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Yeah it would be nice to add a fork by the same person who built the frame. It’s a lot of dosh for a bit of steel though.

Bike is in very nice nick having been re sprayed (stove enamelled), in a very similar red to the original colour. Original decals and head tube badge supplied by WTB and lacquered over.

I was originally thinking a plain black fork but also think black crown with silver legs would look good.

Will have to see how flush I’m feeling. Some P2s or suchlike would be a lot cheaper……..

amplebrew

I’d got for plain black or I wonder if Steve be able to match the colour of your frame if you gave him the RAL code?

A Type 2 fork would be perfect, especially when you got hold of original decals and head badge from WTB when renovating the frame.

If I was going for off the peg rigid forks, I’d probably pick Salsa. P2’s can be pretty harsh.

shandcycles
    Free Member

I’m still trying to work out how you can own a Phoenix but have never heard of a Type II! Egads.

benjbish

I have a lovely set of Salsa forks looking for a new home….

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

For £80 new I’m tempted to give the Salsas a try and see how I get on with them. I’m sure the Type 2 is lovely but is it really worth getting on for 10 times the price (by the time you include tax and shipping).?

woodsman
    Free Member

Looks like cost price was a good guess by me, if I don’t say so myself! 😉

I wanted Steve to make a fork for my Soulcraft but he backed out, saying he didn’t make for suspension corrected frames. I’ve got a used Salsa Cromoto coming in the difficult to get 440mm a-c size. I’ll paint it to match my frame.

fattylee
    Free Member

What size are the salsa forks?? 29er

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

26 for sure but they may do 29 too. Go Google.

I might just give in to temptation and order a Potts fork. Either way I”ll post a pic once the fork of choice has been added.

amplebrew

dbukdbuk – Member
    26 for sure but they may do 29 too. Go Google.

I might just give in to temptation and order a Potts fork. Either way I”ll post a pic once the fork of choice has been added.

Look forward to seeing your Type 2 😉

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I went for the Salsa option. Might get a Type 2 at some point but the Salsa is a fraction of the price and will do me for now –

slackalice
    Free Member

Looks sweet 😀 they suit the frame really well. How’s the ride?

I’ll be more than likely after some Cro Moto’s in the near future 🙂

woodsman
    Free Member

Oddly after everything I said, I’ve now ordered a pair of type 11 forks for my Soulcraft. Will update when I get them in 10 weeks or so time.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rigid steel fork.’ is closed to new replies.