Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rigid SS and 26" wheels
  • pgh1892
    Free Member

A few months ago I sold my rigid ss kona which had 26″ wheels. Big mistake it was a great bike.

Where rigid singlespeed is concerned 29″ seems to be the accepted standard. Im just about to replace the kona and I have a new on one 456 evo 2 frame nocking about. My question is in your opinion should I just go for a specific bike I.e the amazing kona unit. Wouldn’t mind an inbred but the ss specific are out of stock.

I know wheel size is subjective to personal preference and I can see times when they would be an advantage especially on a rigid but then will they take the fun factor out of jumpy/twisty stuff?

Another thing is whichever I choose must have a set of forks to swap over to on rare occasion and I do have forks for the 456 already.

I am riding a ss road bike solely at the moment so I want to get a bike sorted asap as I’ve recently sold my 2013 remedy, 2010 sc bullit and the kona, the only one I miss is the cheap rigid SS kona. Not saying its a better bike, its just from less I get more

I want one mountain bike which will 90% of the time be a rigid ss and then occasionally a ss hardtail.

Advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who’s had both a 26 and 29″ wheeled rigid

jamj1974

I like both my rigid 26″ Kona and my Genesis Fortitude 29’er.

Both are great and make me smile!

takisawa2

I’ve ran a couple of 26″ full rigids…
    And a couple of 29″ rigids.

Best 26″ set-up was an Inbred with a 29er rigid fork.
    Really enjoyed that bike.

But, have to say, 29″ rigid is better.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pgh1892
    Free Member

Cheers jam, I really want to go for the 456 with 29er surly forks and 2.4 tyres

pgh1892
    Free Member

This is my dilemma I suppose, ive had a 26″ rigid and loved it but never tried a 29er to compare.
    I suppose it’s going to be a case of each having pros and cons, everyone says 29ers work better though which is telling

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

I personally have.preffered 26″ rigid (ridden snowdon, antur, cyb, wolftrax, peaks). 29″ is certainly a tad more comfortable, but i’ve enjoyed the 26er more and been able to tackle the techy stuff with more ablomb! Also ridden ss. Imo etc.

R.e. Bike choice, it does make a helluva difference! If your riding the same stuff on both setups go for an inbred ish, however if your doing much harder things on the bouncy setup it’s worth the two bikes (this is what i’m currently running if i’m honest!) If you can afford some forks for the xc rigid for the days you fancy as well then it makes even more sense!

TiRed

I bought a 2012 Genesis ioid Alfine (half price!) to replace my stolen rigid Kona Unit 29er SS. Smaller wheels, gears that I have now removed, but can be swapped out in minutes and a similar ride to the Kona. I haven’t replaced the Rekon forks with rigid yet, but have considered it. The Genesis is my first non-rigid bike, and to be honest, for longer rides, I prefer the front suspension to the larger wheels. I have a carbon seatpost for rear suspension. A great bike, but may be hard to find now.

pgh1892
    Free Member

My option is the 456 evo 2 which I have a set of 120mm recon gold to pair with and some surly 29er forks….. Or buy a new rigid 29er and a good pair of forks.
    I sort of want to pick the 456 as I really like it and also may be more fun when I do want to use the forks. The one problem is the forks are 15mm axle and surly forks qr.
    I could buy rigid forks and wheels for the 456 and swap when required.
    Cant help but feel im missing a trick where 29ers are concerned.
    I tried a cyclocross bike and wasn’t as quick as quick as the kona on segments surprisingly. I didn’t really enjoy the cx for whatever reason.

everyone
    Free Member

Just finished building up an Inbred as a rigid SS but I’ve squeezed a pair of 650bs in there. I say squeezed, I can still run the wheel slammed against the end of the dropouts with the 2.0 beavers I’ve got.

cookeaa

Currently I own both a Rigid, SS, 26er kona and a 456, glad I don’t have to choose between owning one or the other TBH… They serve rather different purposes, but both do so extremely well…

Seeing as you’ve already gotten rid of the Kona and are still considering a rigid SS, I’d just give the 29er thing a whirl.
    Big Unit or Inbred 29er? see how you go, you could always trade it on if its not for you, and go shopping for an old Kona F&F…

boxelder

Really quick to swap Hope hubs between 9mm qr and 15mm.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Ridden both 26″ and 29er steel rigid ss bikes…
    Still have one of each, but the smaller wheel is up for sale soon. No, it’s not any worse or better than the 29er – it accelerates quicker and is a bit more nippy, but I’m not riding it as often as I should and I can’t be bothered to keep different size tubes(well, I know folks that stretched 26″ tubes to fit 29ers!)
    In my mitts, the big wheel doesn’t seem to loose as much speed over tricky/techy terrain and has a tad more grip.

I guess he biggest dillema is whether the 456 will be as nice to ride as Unit – the difference in geometry is massive!
    Fit Surly forks, try the ss kit and see if it’s as good as ye olde Kona!

Andy-R

Find a Singular Hummingbird – then you can run it rigid with a 29″ front wheel or with suspension with a 26″ front wheel.
    I have two of them – one rigid SS and one with Maverick SC32’s and 8 speed Alfine.
    They’re lovely bikes in both guises, I can’t rate them highly enough – it’s a shame that they’re not made any more.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Found my 29er el mar more comfortable but less fun in the twisty single track
    Than the orange 26 it replaced
    For longer days out I would stick with a 29 but maybe I’m getting soft

It’s been all change for this summer the Elar now has a different geared build and will bulls a super light 26 rigid ss
    For summer blasts

kazafaza
    Free Member

I’m sure that could be done with the 456 frame as well…

I’ve had a 69er in the past and ’twas okish, but I’d rather go for 67er or 79er as the difference in traction and grip between the wheels is not as big. And they don’t hurt eyes as much as 69ers 😉

Ben_H

I ride a Cotic Soul and went singlespeed last year after several previous attempts. I haven’t owned a 29er singlespeed, but think the 26er SS format still has a lot to offer.

It’s all a matter of personal tastes, but my perspective is that you can retain a lot of flexibility by SS’ing a geared frame. There are some occasions when I just can’t get away with singlespeeding (e.g. a very challenging trail centre) and I can’t be without suspension forks, even for local trail riding.

pgh1892
    Free Member

Thats a great point Ben.
    Locally a rigid is perfect even the off road bits of hilly stuff is rooty at worst.
    I think I’ll build the 456 as planned and get a rigid 29er aswel.
    Use the 29er local and the 456 when I ride anywhere I’ve got to drive to, is that enough justification to buy a new bike? I think it is.
    69ers do interest me but I reckon explaining it to everyone you come across would be a headache, in a similar way to fatbikes, which I think look great.

MadBillMcMad

pgh1892,

I have an 18″ (or is that 20″) SS Kona Unit 26er
    that I never ride & might sell.

Would you be interested ?

pgh1892
    Free Member

Hi Bill, if I do go for a new bike it will be the 29er version otherwise I’ll just have rigid and suspension forks for the 456, thanks for the offer though

core

If you do go 26″ use a rigid 29er fork, ime a 26″ fork just makes the front feel too low if you’re used to more than 100mm front suspension.

Cheezpleez

If you’re after a compromise, build up the 456 as a 69er. It’ll be good. But you’re not really, are you? Face it, you won’t be satisfied till you’ve tried a 29er.

I’ve been there and done that and now have a 29 rigid SS Inbred and 26 C456 SS with sus fork, which covers both bases. 🙂

Andy-R

pgh1892 – Member

69ers do interest me but I reckon explaining it to everyone you come across would be a headache, in a similar way to fatbikes, which I think look great.

I find most people don’t even notice, to be honest – but then a lot don’t even notice it’s a singlespeed either, which is fine with me.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rigid SS and 26" wheels’ is closed to new replies.