Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rigid singlespeed suggestions.
  • Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m looking for some simple bikes for use at work for getting around site. We currently have some Dawes Edge One’s and some Genesis SS’s which have seen better days.
    Ideally I’d like alloy frames (very corrosive atmosphere) hydraulic disc brakes (because I’ll end up doing the maintenance and I’m not messing around with cables) and singlespeed.
    What bikes are currently around?

wwaswas

not sure what your budget is but Vitus do some cheap SS bikes (think they have cable disks though) on the CRC site or there’s the Cannondale Trail SL 29 SS.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Cannodale doesn’t look bad and the price (£750) is about right.
    I’ve found a Genesis Fortitude but it’s a hundred quid more.
    We’ve tried cheap bikes in the past but they don’t stand up to the hammering they get.

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Probably looks better on their website:
    http://www.chargebikes.com/bicycle-collection/cooker-ss

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Cooker looks good but I doubt it would after six months living outside in the sea air and being used and abused by every Tom, Dick and Harry.
    The Cannondale is looking favourite at the moment.

MSP
    Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The Cooker looks good but I doubt it would after six months living outside in the sea air and being used and abuse by every Tom, Dick and Harry.

The cannondale is likely to get just as battered just as much, there will also be loads of other parts that corrode before the frame.

Why not just get a 2nd hand rockhopper/cannondale/trek etc for couple hundred quid and singlespeed that?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Why not just get a 2nd hand rockhopper/cannondale/trek etc for couple hundred quid and singlespeed that?

Not really an option as the company is paying for it.

wwaswas

you could ask on-one for a price on however many scandals you would want built up how you wanted?

brassneck

Must be something in the On One range – if the atmosphere could sufficiently weaken an Inbred, bagsy not cycling through it!

At our big plant in Antwerpen, we have racks of red Dutch style fixies, they seem indestructible and are a pleasant way to move between datacentres.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Not really an option as the company is paying for it.

That sounds good,

Carbon Niner 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

The cannondale is likely to get just as battered just as much, there will also be loads of other parts that corrode before the frame.

To be honest the alloy framed Dawes we have don’t look too bad, the saddle (torn on a regular basis) and brakes (cables and adjustment) give the most problem.
    The steel framed Genesis look a lot worse despite being 2 or 3 years newer.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have a Cannondale 29er SS – brilliant bike but I wouldn’t recommend one for a works/hack bike, the large oversize tubes are going to dent easily.

Do Pashley not do anything a bit more ‘industrial’ similar to their post office bikes?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Do Pashley not do anything a bit more ‘industrial’ similar to their post office bikes?

We’ve had Pashley’s in the past, heavy, unpleasant to ride and “someone” managed to bend the forks on one just dropping off a kerb 😳

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Simple and indestructible you say? How about http://www.kronan.com/sv/cykel/kronan-herrcykel-brun i saw these bikes based on a swedish military design at our Helsingborg site on the swedish coast and they seemed to stand up well to the rigours of being loan bikes.

RustyNissanPrairie

What’s the application/useage? Just wondering as I’m maintenance manager for a large site and I’ve thought about having bikes available for the fitters to get about on.

RustyNissanPrairie

What’s the application/useage? Just wondering as I’m maintenance manager for a large site and I’ve thought about having bikes available for the fitters to get about on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rigid singlespeed suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.