Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rigid Recommendations
  • kilf
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Been away from the seen for a while thinking about a Rigid geared bike to ride on Cannock Chase and generally bash about on. Can be 29 or 26er but preferably steel (super preferably full bike purchase £1000 or under sourced by halfords B2W but all builds frames appreciated)

Thanks in advance

cosmickev
    Free Member

Hey kilf

I’m about to get a rigid SS to get to/from and over the Chase but getting an Inbred direct from On One. Just can’t decide whether or not to add £129 for carbon forks. Also can’t decide between 2.25 or 2.4 Racing Ralphs, to which I plan to apply Stan’s tubeless kit as the towpaths between home and the Chase are littered with blackthorns.

Help anyone?

mmb
    Free Member

inbred 456 with exotic carbon 29er’s you’ll be surprised how well it rides, £170 for the frame and £85 for the forks, see here
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO456/on-one-456-frame
    and here
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=43&p=197&
    this is mine

have since fitted a brooks team pro saddle and xt m770 cranks.

cosmickev
    Free Member

Thanks mmb

However, preferred the Inbred as I understood the short travel frame was better for XC, not that there aren’t loads of 456s on the Chase, and the other problem is that via cyclescheme I need a complete bike rather than frame or rolling chassis.

I take it your point is that exotic carbon forks are better than On One’s version? Steel vs carbon fork thread (about 29rs) said it was all about the quality of the carbon used, but bikeradar was quite raving about the On Ones.

Feeling none the wiser!

wwaswas

talk to on-one and see what they’ll do for you on A carbon whippet frame.

Although not sure they do C2W anymore, thinking about it…

cosmickev
    Free Member

On One defo do C2W but only as complete bikes.

clubber
    Free Member

The 456 is just fine for XC.

Exotic, On-one, etc – they’re all decent rigid forks and they are all rigid – don’t fall for the BS that any rigid forks are anything like suspension. I’ve had Pace, Exotic, P2, On-one and countless other rigid forks. They all fundamentally work the same and since IIRC the Exotic is the cheapest (unless you buy the identical but Nuke Proof or White Bros branded versions) that’s what I’m using.

cosmickev
    Free Member

Thanks Clubber.

The options for me to get in all in the C2W £1000 limit is to either go with the standard cro-mo fork, or go for the carbon ones for an additional £130. I’m guessing I’ll save weight but not otherwise notice the difference?

Someone’s bound to notice that On One have got coil Recon Silvers for £115 but I’ve never had suspension and I’m not convinced it’s necessary for Cannock Chase, towpath to and from, etc.

timc
    Free Member

Cotic Soul by Tim Condran, on Flickr

mmb
    Free Member

tim, i like that!

mmb
    Free Member

the exotic carbon forks are generally regarded as better than the on-ones as the build quality “appears” to be better, i’ve never had a problem with mine.
    the 456 is essentially the same as an inbred in geometry and is equally suited to xc, the difference is in the tube diameters not the lengths or angles it’s a tougher but heavier frame. i chose mine for reasons of strength (you never know when you’ll be glad of it).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a yellow theme going on

ro222
    Free Member

Rigid Cotic with RC31’s. I ran this setup to get back into riding again and it was ideal . A nice combo.
    (I am now selling my forks..
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/for-sale-pace-rc31-titanium-carbon-rigid-forks)

cosmickev
    Free Member

Cotics look lovely, would fancy a Simple but nowt available till Summer at least. If I couldn’t do C2W though I’d be at the bottom of the barrel of the bargain basement looking for bits to build up – still as a steel rigid SS, I reckon. Starting simple and low maintenance.

timc
    Free Member

mmb – Member
    tim, i like that!

Cheers, picture doesnt do it justice, looks better in ‘real life’ 🙂

Built it up October last year for a winter bike, but injury has meant I still havent riden it, frustrating!

The finish & apparent build quality of the exotic fork is very good IMO, absolute bargain @ £85

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rigid Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.