Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Rigid mountain bikes
  • wergsy

Looking at rigid mtb for local woods, canals, bridle paths etc. Any advice from rigid mtb owners? Looking at Genesis tarn 10….

funkmasterp

The Charge Cooker range looks decent, especially now they’re in the sales. Not ridden one, but Singular Swift always seems well liked. Kona unit is a nice ride as are Salsa El Mar and Surly Karate Monkey. Owned a singlespeed El Mar and a unit before.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

A regular cycling friend has bought the Tarn 20. It is great fun.

Northwind

I built all mine from parts but, I’m not sure I’d buy a purpose built rigid, they’re niche and have a double whammy of no economies of scale, and scene tax, and there’s a lot of really heavy steel frames, basic drivetrains etc- it’s like people go “Oh it’s a rigid, so it should be basic”. Mine were all bloody awesome, and coincidentally rigid. Not really sure how the Tarn 10 costs £900 tbh.

I think if I wanted to buy a whole rigid, I’d get one of the many hardtails with a cheap rubbish fork, and an Exotic carbon fork, and introduce them. Though plus tyres complicate matters, that’s new since I last did a rigid.

(or fatbike but that’s a pretty different deal and not good at riding in canals)

keithb

Jeez that tarn 10 is not only £900, but weighs 14kg! That’s up at 31lbs! My full sus came out of the factory in 2006 at c25lbs! 12.4kg g think was the quoted weight.

Has it got an engine?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Voodoo Marassa or Ramin 1/3+ ftw!

coldlambcurry
    Free Member

Niner one9, RDO Niner forks. There’s still one9 alloy frames appear on here occasionally, that’s how I got mine.

Clink

Stooge is great for fun in the woods.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Just got myself a Charge Cooker Midi 1 in the sale. £500 ish, it’s light enough, 1×10, 27.5″+ and is a blast. Originally bought for much the same use as you mention but on the weekend I took it out over the Black Mountains and was very impressed by it. Capable little bike.

Dickyboy

The Charge Cooker 1 certainly look great – what sort of weight are they?

SiB
    Free Member

My rigid MTB is definitely the bike I ride the most and get most smiles from…..OO Scandal, ZTR Olympic rims, slx groupset, 1 x 10. Its just simple and doesn’t weigh much, great fun to ride (its more XC than MTB if splitting hairs)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think if I wanted to buy a whole rigid, I’d get one of the many hardtails with a cheap rubbish fork, and an Exotic carbon fork, and introduce them.

I did this and it transformed a crap hardtail into a superb rigid bike – one of my favourite bikes ever. I also did the wider bars/shorter stem thing too. Night and day difference in handling and enjoyment.

Kona Unit

After owning one of these for a few years I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s not that great to ride. I love the way it looks and I love the simplicity of a single speed so would probably not part with it, but it’s too heavy and not as nimble nor manoeuvrable as I’d like. I’ve had great fun with it, but probably despite rather than because of it. Good for winter training tho’ 😉

Cheezpleez

I’ve had a few rigid bikes and the Stooge is head and shoulders above anything else I’ve ridden from a trail/techy riding point of view. I also have a Swift, which is great for more trad XC or long rides.

The Ramin 3+ looks v interesting and cracking value.

Andy-R

Best rigid bike I’ve ever owned/ridden is my Singular Hummingbird.

craig24
    Free Member

Always fancied a Cannondale Trail SS.

Is it still possible to buy decent light rigid forks for 26inch wheels?

pictonroad

Cannondale Trail SS with a 2.4 Chunky Monkey on the front and a big ol flexy carbon bar.

Absolutely lovely.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like riding mine, because it’s a good place to sit and pedal and cover ground. The firmness and lack of suspension boinging around is fantastic.

Until it gets rocky. Then you have to slow down, a lot. And don’t take it to trail centres either (at least not Cwmcarn) – those trails are designed to flow and be pinned, and even the small rocks make it rough as hell and damn hard work.

On local trails I mince down them which is ok, in its own way – but I wouldn’t want to lose the ability to pin descents either. I’m happy to own one alongside FSers (and I would love a short travel FS to complement it as well as the big one) but then again, I live in a rocky area.

avdave2

Would the Stache 5 be within budget for you? Pretty versatile when it comes to wheels and tyres.

SiB
    Free Member

I’ve had my 26 inch exotic carbon forks on my scandal for at least a coupe of years now with no problems, this to me makes them decent. And they are v light.

benp1

@somewhatslightlydazed – want some steel Salsa 26 inch forks?

my rigid bike is my most used MTB, hardtail gets used a lot less. But it’s entirely tame where I am so rigid is fine

Salsa El Mariachi with Fargo forks

scholarsgate
    Free Member

I ride a El Mariachi SS with niner carbon forks. In fact I don’t ride anything but rigid. I was looking for a rigid geared bike for a mate and thought this looked good value.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ramin-1-2016-mountain-bike-EV244137

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think if I wanted to buy a whole rigid, I’d get one of the many hardtails with a cheap rubbish fork, and an Exotic carbon fork, and introduce them.

This route +1.

And single speed it whilst you’re at it. The two complement each other brilliantly, the rigid bike lets you smash up hills without worrying about bobbing suspension, and singlespeed encourages you to do that. and with a few careful choices it’s possible to build cheap bikes that can easily go 12+ months with nothing more than brake pads, or sometimes even without wearing those if you compromise and go for tiny rotors (small rotors get hot quickly, so stay bedded in even in the middle ow winter when others pads are being worn away because the surface never gets a chance to harden).

Secondhand, stuff like Singular Swifts, Salsa El Mariachi, or at the cheaper end Trek Marlin SS, Cannondale Trail SS. Stooge if they fit you and you can find one.

Or buy new and custom build it, with a £900 budget, and no need for a groupset or suspension fork you’re well into the bling end of rigid bikes! But as noted above, you can take any bike, add a £100 carbon fork, strip the gears off it, add a tensioner and make it singlespeed. Once I’ve got a new job my plan is to get a carbon 29er and singlespeed it, there’s something really fun about riding a bike that weighs sod all!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Once you have your rigid MTB be sure to make absolutely everyone aware that you ride a rigid, take every opportunity to inform everyone that you will be going out on your rigid and then title the Strava ride ‘rigid mtb ride, seriously rattled on the descents’ or similar.

Northwind

wilko1999 – Member

Once you have your rigid MTB be sure to make absolutely everyone aware that you ride a rigid, take every opportunity to inform everyone that you will be going out on your rigid and then title the Strava ride ‘rigid mtb ride, seriously rattled on the descents’ or similar.

Just remember, no matter how rigid-awesome you are, you’ll never be Jesse Wigman rigid-awesome

wilko1999
    Free Member

Jeez, is that Fort Bill DH?

kerley
    Free Member

Exotic have been decent enough for me over the years and are lightish at 800 grams and available in a range of lengths to suit the geometry of frame.
    And the Pace RC31 is still available at two lengths for 26″ wheels.

So, yes it is.

kerley
    Free Member

And also get a fat wheeled one so you can add that in too.

(typed while owning a rigid single speed)

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, my 2p

Stooge or Trek Stache 5 (I own both). Have been riding the Stache all summer (waiting for a larger size Stooge) and think it a brilliant bike, with loads of well thought out tech

Be sure to go high and wide on the bars (Stooge Moto bars are great) for getting the weight off your arms

I looked at the Tarn when a mate wanted a rigid ride, but thought the geo odd, in possibly a new format sales sort of way – being ‘low and long’ which I thought would equate to more weight forward, not a good thing for a rigid… but I may be wrong on that

Northwind

wilko1999 – Member

Jeez, is that Fort Bill DH?

Aye- that’s the 6-hour endurance downhill race. I beat him by one place, on my downhill bike 😆

wilko1999
    Free Member

It’s not what you got…!

benp1

My El Mar was SS up until about 3 months ago. I’ve put an Alfine 8 wheel on the back and can now switch between the two relatively easily

SS is good, particularly for the winter, but I wanted to think about doing some mile munching

xcstu
    Free Member

Ritchey 😉

Saccades
    Free Member

rigid mtb for local woods, canals, bridle paths etc

With £900 I’d be going onto Retrobike and buying a nice Kona/Marin

1990 Lavadome for £165 leaving you money to buy another 4.

Clink

With £900 I’d be going onto Retrobike and buying a nice Kona/Marin

1990 Lavadome for £165 leaving you money to buy another 4.

Except a modern rigid like a Stooge will ride sooooo much better!

Saccades
    Free Member

rigid mtb for local woods, canals, bridle paths etc

Probably in the woods but only if there are some tech sections to play on.

molgrips
    Free Member

1990 Lavadome for £165

Those bikes are worlds away from a modern steel 29er. And not in a good way.

wergsy

Some great ideas about rigid rigs, but then I go trawling Google and see a Mondraker vantage rr+. FFS.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gotta say I love my Krampus..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Rigid mountain bikes’ is closed to new replies.