Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rigid, hardtail or full susser and bad knees!
  • grumpster
    Free Member

Hi,

First post so be gentle! I have had a meniscal tear repaired in my knee and currently awaiting another repair.

I currently ride two rigids (geared and single speed) but need a new bike (wahey!).

Given my dodgy knees (and a bad back) I am looking for some suspension in my future bike.

With a budget of £1200 what should I go for? A full susser would presumably be easier on the knees and back but could I get a good one for that?

How much better for my knees would a geared hard tail be over my rigid singlespeed for example?

I currently ride the purbecks and new forest so nothing gnarly – distances up to 30-40 miles or so. I do a few evans and wiggle rides etc. No bike parks, jumps etc. I do like my bikes light – my singlespeed is about 19lbs.

I haven’t a clue what to get – What would you do?

Thanks.

dustytrails

If you’re getting back pain and have knee problems, I would suggest that you have a proper bike fit for both position and crank length whatever bike you go for – sounds like you’re lacking a full suss in your quiver!

jonnyrockymountain

Full suss would obviously be better!
    Please look in my profile I have a mint condition 650b giant anthem, that i’am open to offers and I can also make it a little cheaper by changing the spec a little ie full 2×10 shimano xt drivetrain and other bits, but it would still be a very good spec for the money!!!
    if of interest email me at jonathantraverse@hotmail.co.uk

fudge9202
    Free Member

Had a similar issue with my back so went from hardtail to a Salsa Spearfish and love it, recovered from back issue and longing for my hardtail back. Now the full suss is not as light as a hardtail, my Spearfish is 27lbs with a dropper post fitted but certainly doesn’t feel it. I chose the Salsa for its ability to cover long distances with little fuss and in comfort, it’s not a racey XC whippet but brilliant at what it does.
    Still hankering for a Stanton Sherpa!

Trimix
    Free Member

There are still good savings on 2015 bikes if you look.

Scott Sparks are light but capable bikes for example in that price range.

grumpster
    Free Member

Blimey – some quick replies!

I should probably add that my back and knee problems didn’t originate from bikes. The slipped disc came by lifting car engines and the bad knees was because I foolishly tried running. The bike fit is I think fine on both bikes.

Sounds like full suspension may be the way to go even with the £1200 or so budget.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

somafunk

If your not fussed about 27.5″/29’r wheels then i imagine you could pick up a good deal on a 26″ fs from the classifieds – Ibis Mojo etc…..

chestrockwell

Go Outdoors Bossnut or Cannondale Trigger from Paul’s? That’s the usual answer to this question.
    Oh, and full suss all the way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rigid, hardtail or full susser and bad knees!’ is closed to new replies.