Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Rigid forks for MTB
  • Prophet2
    Free Member

I was thinking of adding rigid forks to my SS. Currently I have 100mm Reba’s on the SS. So I’m just looking for some insight/advice….is it worth it? I think it would be fun, hard work but would provide a different ride from my usual bike rides.

A quick google search later and the Pro Carbon forks seem nice, OnOne also do a rigid carbon fork. Both a bit more expensive than I would actually consider spending but perhaps in Jan the prices might drop a wee bit.

So what do the beardy rigid SSers of STW use as rigid forks?

Cheers.

johnnystorm

Swift with err, swift forks here (29er obviously) and like “on-one, but not on-one” steel forks on my SS chameleon. Both ride fine and I have to say that I don’t feel unduly disabled by not having suspension.*

*disclaimer, I live in Suffolk.

Kato

Kona P2’s on my singlespeed

Cheezpleez

Exotic / Carbon Cycles. Great performance, great value

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pipedream do a rigid fork, its about £50 and is the right length.

steveoath
    Free Member

Got the exotic carbons on one of the bikes and just about to fit these to the other one.

ton

pipedream rigids on a 456 here. tis good fun.

Northwind

At least some of the Pro ones are the same as the Exotic ones (and also the Nukeproof ones, and the White Bros ones). Just that some have more expensive stickers than others.

I’ve got a set of Exotics, they’re really pretty nice. Not the lightest but they don’t look daft and backwards like the On Ones, and they’ve proved tough. They do flex a fair bit especially under braking, but that’s actually fine, it helps with comfort and doesn’t cause any problems.

I really like rigid mtbing, wouldn’t have it as my only bike but it makes for a huge difference when you ride it. Admittedly I cheat and use a 2.5 tyre for a bit of bounce, but it goes most places I’d put a hardtail. Obviously singlespeed is for mongs though 😉

yunki
    Free Member

exotics are great bit of kit..

takisawa2

Exotics. Much better finished than the On-Ones. They ride better also.

But I prefer a nice steel fork though. The Singular Swift one is nice, rides lovely, as does the Niner steel one, but both of these are 29er forks.

Dont be tempted by On-Ones steel fork though. Cheap, oh yes, but its harsher than the harshest harsh thing. Ever. Ever.
    In fact, remember that wobbly bridge in Londondon…well they stiffened that up by lashing On-One steel forks to it. And they only needed one set, & a zip tie.

Prophet2
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s for 26inch wheels

zippykona

The on one steels are also heavier than any known suspension forks.

breadcrumb

I’m currently using the on-one steel forks, had them kicking about from a beater build. They don’t seem that bad but I am considering some exoctics to save a bit of weight and see if the on-ones are really as terrible as folk say.

Enjoying rigid riding, not as bad as you think once you adjust. And once less thing that needs cleaned or fettled on the bike!

mattjg
    Free Member

Have been riding the steel forks that came with my Singular Swift for a couple of months now, there have been moments in rides when a bit of suss would have been nice, but not a whole ride when I got home and regretted the decision. Even in the frost (hardpack) ride of last week rigid was fine.

I like that there is instant feedback (no rebound delay), no brake dive, no maintenance, no sag when I stand up to put some power down, and the weight saving that makes the front more direct and maneuverable

Perhaps I’ll put some suss on for the “summer”, but I’m happy so far.

Big wheels and big soft tyres help. You learn to be a bit lighter on the bars and choose your line with a little more care – and you can do that because the steering is more direct.

SS and rigid is a great combo.

Where it doesn’t work so well would be on trails with braking bumps, or several steps or hits in a row where the next arrives before the previous is dealt with.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m old enough to have started on rigids, went back last year to carbon white bros rock solids, they’re very light and very strong, they do flex very slightly but only when you’re really pushing the bike, most of the time it’s a great ride, you find smoother and less rooty lines so you actually work harder and read the trail more, wack a wider tyre up front with lots of grip and not too much air and you’ll be how surprised how smooth the ride is, I’m running a carbon flat bar too, which takes out some buzz.

vorlich
    Free Member

Pace Carbon, check the classifieds.

verses

Another vote for Exotic Carbons.

I’ve been using them for 2 years now on my SS, they’ve taken a fair few knocks and spills and are still going strong.

* Similar Suffolk-based disclaimer…

plumber
    Free Member

I have been using the on one carbon (original 26 style) since they became available.

They’ve been great. Might try some Exotics at some point as they are supposesd to ride better and mine are 6 years old 😕

mattjg
    Free Member

@rewski what bar? I’m looking for a wide (750mm or more) carbon bar with a tad of flex in it, the ones I have are super rigid

darbeze
    Free Member

Running Kona Project 2 on the Felt. Wanted the Pro carbon ones originally but by the time I had got around to ordering them, they had been discontinued. My LBS managed to locate a NOS pair of P2s and I have to say, I love the ride…

No more clunky, heavy front end. Just nice, direct and simple…

Not sure if I will bother with suspension again…

ndthornton
    Free Member

Surely there cant be too many requirements for a rigid fork – Iv thought of a few…..

Connect to wheel
    Connect to bike
    connect to brake
    support rider weight + a bit
    minimise weight

MrGreedy

+1 for the Exotics, with the same disclaimer as johnnystorm and verses (hi guys!).

I do get a little bit of judder and fore-aft flex under heavy braking (85kg rider, 180mm XT brakes), but nothing worth worrying about.

rewski
    Free Member

@mattjg – a pro XCR, short 580 and very rigid, old school XC stylee. You looked at Easton Carbon Havoc, they go up to 750 I think, too wide for me, I’ve got the Havens and they’re a bit too wide for me.

Yak

Exotics.
    Had them for at least 4 years now. There’s a little flex and give, but that’s good.

The first few rides will be a shock, but then you’ll adapt, pick better lines, unweight more, etc. I’ve got a 2.2 tyre on the front at 25psi-soft enough to smooth out the clatter.

No dive is a great thing as is really hauling on the bars and having something solid to work against.

Have fun!

sefton
    Free Member

I’m looking to get the pro carbon forks for a xc race build.

woodsman
    Free Member

Salsa are reputed to make some nice STEEL rigids. Can’t be doing with the carbon myself, had them and the difference to steel is ‘shudder’, haven’t noticed that with my retro P2’s so I’m sticking with steel.

fenred
    Free Member

^^ Wot he said….I’ve just switched from Carbon exotics to Salsa Cromoto’s…Flex free and lurvely feel about them….Spiffing 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

I had some carbons on my 26, I’d best describe their feel as ‘twangy’.

The steels on my 29 are perhaps a bit more subtle.

But it’s not a like-for-like comparison, there are many other variables between the 2 bikes.

Riding rigid is a different feel to a sus fork. Someone thinking rigid will be like a stiff short travel sus fork will be disappointed.

globalti
    Free Member

Yep… I got fed up with the weight and the constant oil leak from my Rebas and sold them. Fitted some eXotics in carbon and don’t regret it at all; you only miss suspension on big hits like steps and kerbs and on a proper mountain day out like the High Street circuit the lighter weight of the bike makes a huge difference to what I’ve got left in the tank by the end, compared with other riders on FS bikes. The carbon forks are considerably more comfortable than the rigid steel forks we used when mountain bikes were first invented.

mattjg
    Free Member

My Rebas have at least four settings.

My Swift has one – positive air. It goes in the tyre. Then go ride.

IanW
    Free Member

I bought some exotics for my 26″ Scandal SS and enjoyed them. Nice and direct which I think works well with single speed due to increased out of the saddle pulling on the bars type riding.

I dont use them now(there on my sons bike)as I bought some Fox forks with a lock out that properley locks out and gives that same direct feeling.

Ian

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Anybody tried running a 96er, as the AtC height for rigid suspension corrected forks seem to allow for it?

somafunk

I’m after a set of carbon rigids to run on the front of my hummer for the winter and remove the Talas but i run a 15mm axle/hub, am i right in thinking only the X-Lite Carbon Fork as below is the only one available with a 15mm dropout?, if not what other’s are available?.

Cheers,

VanHalen

i might get some of those exotics.

but if i dont like it would people by a second hand carbon fork?

to be honest i`m not totally sold on a new one!

somafunk

The SwedishChef : I had a 445mm pace fork on the front of my soulcraft wi a 29 wheel/tyre (2.55 wtb wierwolf), it slackenedd the steering angle by 2 degrees from a singletrack twitchy 71dg to a sit back and hold on 69dg, it rolled over pretty much anything in it’s path and with such a large volume tyre on the front it provided silly amounts of grip.
    Only pic i have of it,

Prophet2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, it’s encouraging to read when people start using rigid forks they don’t regret it. My SS isn’t my main mountain bike, so I won’t be riding it all the time.

Going rigid is to enable me to have a different sort of biking experience that I currently have, hopefully it will improve my riding by having to pick better lines and think more about what I need to do as a rider rather than letting the suspension do all the work.

So when I muster up the cash looks like the Exoctics are the way to go.

Vortexracing

I rate the Salsa Cromoto’s.

I have some on my 26″ Unit

Charlie, of the bikemonger fame, also rates them very highly. Not as light as some Exotic, but not heavy and a really nice ride.

I’m trying to source them in 29er guise for my 29er Unit, but not having much luck. 🙁

sefton
    Free Member

steel forks on an ali frame sounds wrong?

rewski
    Free Member

If I had the spare cash I’d get these, carbon steerer Syncros FLs now owned by Scott, I’ll let you guess what FL stands for 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Rigid forks for MTB’ is closed to new replies.