Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rigid fork for a Carbon 456 (26" wheel) frame- advice please
  • Leadfold
    Free Member

Thought I would drag my 456 frame out of the loft and make myself a nice simple rigid-forked ride. It used to have a Fox Float 140 fork on it (which I foolishly solid) axle to crown was c510mm. I can’t find a rigid fork with anything like that length of AtC. The nearest I can see is a 29er fork with an AtC of 490mm. But not sure if that would look daft with a 26″ wheel in it.

It needs to be a cheap option. What should I go for? What are these chinese Carbon forks like? Informed advice gratefully received.

wwaswas

don’t forget you’ll have been running 25% sag on that fork so that drops the a-c by at least 30mm. Once the forks being ridden the a-c would have dropped by 140mm at full travel but let’s assume maybe 50% a lot of the time so that gives 440mm as ‘mid travel’ and fix it there?

I prefer a slightly steeper head angle on a rigid bike anyway but I’d look at 440 or 470 rigid forks if I were you.

D0NK

iirc brant or someone else at OO suggested 29er forks for the c456, I have some 29er carbon forks which i think are about 30mm shorter than the 120 revs I was using on my 456 so should be reet. However I also have a 29er frame, just trying to figure out which one to run rigid ss for winter…

decisions, fwp decisions!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    avdave2

And you can still easily fit a 29″ wheel in a 440mm fork to give you another option.

brassneck

I have a Ti456 and I think 29er forks would be a better bet. Tried some Switchblades , about 410 A-c (I think) which felt sharp, nearly twitchy, on a Duster and the bike didn’t make it out of the garden, it was scary.

Leadfold
    Free Member

Thanks folks, useful info.

takisawa2

My second gen Inbred with a rigid 29er fork…

IMAG0226 by pten2106, on Flickr

Tried a couple of rigid forks, but the 470mm length felt & rode best, with the Swift steel or Exotic carbon being the best I tried. A 440mm on a 456 would drop the front a lot. Too much weight on the hands for me.

Don’t see many 490mm forks…I think Niner did some for the early SIR.9.
    Either way, that would be too long, head angle would be a bit slack.

The Exotic alloy fork rides lovely also, if you could get one that would be a good cheap option.
    If your near Lichfield I have one you could try.

avdave2

A 440mm on a 456 would drop the front a lot.

It would, but put a 29″ wheel in there and the front will come up by around 35mm. I’m running a 440mm fork and 29″ wheel on one 26″ bike and am very tempted to try it on my C456.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hmm, slightly concerning, my ti456 will be the winter commuter since my maxlight frame cracked…. Intending to remove the lyrics and fit salsa cromoto rigid forks that were on the maxlight….. What is the axle to crown of salsa forks? Hmm…440?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Ah found it, the 26er ones are 445 tall. Should survive then, they are designed for100mm corrected frames… That’ll be the 4 then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork for a Carbon 456 (26" wheel) frame- advice please’ is closed to new replies.