Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rigid fork choice – salsa or Surly
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

I’d like a rigid fork to fit to the front of my commuter / hack bike. Its currently running 100mm travel sus forks but I don’t need the maintenance hassle for no real benefits for commuting. I’ve narrowed it down to either the Surly Troll fork, or a Salsa cromoto. Unfortunately the cromoto does not seem to be available in 26 version anymore, but the 29’er grande version at 468mm long doesn’t seem that far off the Surly’s 453mm. The Salsa forks have 45mm rake (vs. 40mm on the Surly’s) though presumably to suit the bigger 29’er wheel – would this be an issue? I’m leaning towards the Salsa because of the stainless forward facing dropouts and lighter weight but wondering if the extra height and rake would make the front end too light.
    Wondering if anyone else has used the Salsa Grande’s on a 26’er? Also happy to hear recommendations for either of these forks.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

For the commute bike you say! I’d go with the surlys easier to get and can be had cheap with some digging around. I’ve used and have both except the surlys are the ogre ones on my ogre and they feel nicer to ride over the cromotos as they seem to be a twangy if that’s the right word. And stainless dropouts are on a fashion thing anyway they offer no real world added anything. Also had a pair of the surly instigators fitted to my Genesis and they were a lot less harsh than the salsa cromotos in 26″ on long plodding on/off road rides fitted with big apple tyres

otsdr
    Free Member

You can find 26” cromotos on some of the German websites (bike24 and bike-components). I like the looks of the Salsa better, I suppose they both work just fine. I’m on my second Cromoto – I’ve managed to severely deform one after a car cut me off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kamenev
    Free Member

I got my Cromoto forks from Bike24. Just had a quick check and they still have them.

I must admit i find it hard to get anything Salsa related in this country. I was after some Vaya forks which I could not find here in UK so headed over (not literally) to Bike24 as I seem to do for most bike related purchase and got them there.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Interesting response CK – I would have thought the cromotos would have been less harsh. I guess you’re right about the stainless dropouts.
    Will also have a look on the german sites for the 26 cromotos. I actually have a set of the 425mm versions but they are too short for this frame.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

They used to vibrate bit like when you hit something hard with a steel hammer on longer rides they used to make my wrists hurt (I’ve got skinny wrists lol) as they twanged back and forth but the surlys seem to dampen it out but not in a dead feel way.

kcal

Find some Pace RC31s s/h ?

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve checked out the Surly forks, and after comparing them have gone and ordered some disc only Karate Monkey forks at half the price of the Salsas. Cheers folks.

onlysteel
    Free Member

RC31’s available again from Pace. £200.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Pace rc31 are light but they do flex alot. i was much happier with the feel of steel (P2) its also easier to trust.

takisawa2

Singular Swift rigid is a nice fork. Basically a Niner steel fork with a posher disc mount & a quarter of the price.
    The Exotic alloy fork is a nice fork also, rides really well.

yunki
    Free Member

Another vote for Singular.. Good rake, light weight and compliant and at 445mm it’s bloomin lovely as a replacement for 100mm of travel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork choice – salsa or Surly’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts