Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rigid fork advice
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What rigid forks would be suitable for a Cotic which works best at 120mm of travel? I guess something with a longish A2C measurement? Like a 29er fork?

I’d like it to be made from steel. Can you get any that accept a 20mm axle? Otherwise I can convert my hub.

Any recommendations?

druidh
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sweet deal, who makes those?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Click……

lucien

My advice would be don’t buy a rigid fork and stick with 120mm of bouncy-ness……

Northwind

I’ve got a set of Exotic 29ers which I’ve used in the Soul a few times, very nice- I didn’t want the 100mm-equivalent forks, since I like the Soul at 130mm and I wanted the familiar handling, so went with 29er ones. They’re carbon, but seem durable, at least I’ve not managed to break them.

Some people turn their nose up a wee bit at Exotic stuff since it’s cheap far eastern carbon off t’internet. So if you prefer, you can buy the exact same fork from CRC with Nukeproof branding for about twice the price.

Aidan
    Free Member

I’ve done the 29er rigid fork on 26″ bike thing as well. Like Northwind, it worked out pretty well with the handling.

I think Brant has some bolt-through rigid forks coming out as well. I don’t remember the axle standard or which brand they come under, but I’m sure you can find them if you look hard enough.

JRTG
    Free Member

The through axle forks Brant is working on are the new carbon x-lite ones. We won’t see these for a loooooooooong time sadly. Salsa ones will be here soonish.

takisawa2

My mates with 440mm’s on…
    I never rode it but I remember it being bloody light. Must have been 23lb or so.

Soul1 by pten2106, on Flickr

Soul2 by pten2106, on Flickr

Tricone
    Free Member

Black Sheep Faith fork if you want something totally different that will stand out in the crowd.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a steel Orange F8 fork. It’s 450mm a-c so will probably be shorter than a 120mm sus. fork with sag, but my Pipedream Sirius is desined for 90-130mm forks and the height of the F8 feels really good.

Another bonus is Orange will paint you up one for no extra charge using one of their frame custom colour options. It’s QR though, not bolt through.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont think I’d trust carbon forks, only really after some steel ones.

I can convert my current bulb hub to qr so ther 20mm isnt a massive difference.

What 29er steel forks would people recommend then? Surly are the only ones Ive seen but I’d be looking for some 2nd hand. Is there anything else to check out?

tails
    Free Member

Those salsa forks look like the rigid forks I have been hoping for! Are they available in 26″ guise?

epicyclo

davidtaylforth – Member
    I dont think I’d trust carbon forks, only really after some steel ones.

Never heard of a broken On-One carbon fork, but I’ve heard of a certain quality bike’s steel fork bending on a number of occasions.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, dont really mind a fork bending, thats what steels for. Just dont fancy it snapping.

I have a carbon fork on my road bike which im not fussed about

Wouldnt use one on my bmx though

ahwiles
    Free Member

your wrists will shatter long before you hit anything hard enough to break a pair of forks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

your wrists will shatter long before you hit anything hard enough to break a pair of forks.

Yours might but I’ve bent sets of forks in the past. Dont fancy a pair of carbon forks snapping upon landing a jump (badly)

As I said, recommendations for some steel rigids would be good

miketually
    Free Member

What rigid forks would be suitable for a Cotic which works best at 120mm of travel? I guess something with a longish A2C measurement? Like a 29er fork?

With a suspension fork, the head of the bike steepens and the fork compresses. When fully extended, the steering will be a bit slower and floppier. You want a rigid fork whose length matches the suspension fork’s length part-way through compression rather than the unsagged, or even sagged, length.

For example, the original Inbred was designed for 100mm to 120mm travel and came with 420mm forks. (I think they’re 440mm now.)

I’d stick with a 440mm rigid for for a Soul, rather than going for a 29er fork which will be 470mm-ish.

plumber
    Free Member

Ive landed badly on many occasions with my on one carbons – I used to worry about it but not anymore

Northwind

miketually – Member

“With a suspension fork, the head of the bike steepens and the fork compresses. When fully extended, the steering will be a bit slower and floppier. You want a rigid fork whose length matches the suspension fork’s length part-way through compression rather than the unsagged, or even sagged, length.”

Out of curiosity, why would you say iy should be shorter than the sagged setting? I’ve found matching the sagged fork to be ideal for my own bike.

The axle-to-crown of a 130mm Revelation is 508mm so sagged 30% is 469mm, which is almost bang on the axle-to-crown of the Exotic 29er forks, 465mm. Worked out nicely on mine.

miketually
    Free Member

I like fast steering 🙂

Aidan
    Free Member

Surly rigids are pretty super-rigid. They won’t break, but your wrists might.

I’m a bit biased, but I think Singular forks ride really well and Sam might have some that he could sell separately if you mail him.

yunki
    Free Member

Orange F8 for the perfect length in my opinion.. 450mm a-c.. fairly light (a smidge under 1100g)..

letmetalktomark

Salsa here.

Very happy with them. Flexible, light, steel. What more could you want 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Pondering a Salsa fork for my Solitude, to make it a little less fugly than with the On-One. (It’ll still be fugly though.)

scu98rkr
    Free Member

your wrists will shatter long before you hit anything hard enough to break a pair of forks

I managed to bend a set of cheap cro-mo forks off my dawes when I was 18.

I was jumping off a set of stairs maybe about 5/6 step not too great a drop.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sigh,

my resonse was to David; carbon bmx forks are almost exclusive to race-bikes. forks in this arena will be bent/broken by either falling short on a jump, or landing flat after a jump.

and in this event; landing badly at speed on a rigid bmx, hard enough to break carbon forks, i’d be surprised if you didn’t have bigger things to worry about…

i have a pair of orange R8’s – i can recommend those. they’ve got curved-forward legs, the on-one forks have straight-legs, which would you prefer?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

i have a pair of orange R8’s – i can recommend those. they’ve got curved-forward legs, the on-one forks have straight-legs, which would you prefer?

I’ve just had a look at those and they look about right. What difference does a curved fork make to a straight one? I dont think they look as nice as a straight fork

PJay
    Free Member

I have to say that I prefer the look of the straight bladed On-Ones and such like but wanted something that was 450mm a-c, and the F8s fitted the bill (Pipedream recommend this height for the Sirius). Incidently Pipedream do their own 450mm a-c Infinity rigid fork, so that might be an option (I went the F8 route as I could colour match reasonably well). The F8 is pretty light for a steel fork and I really like the ride.

Orange F8 in Kermit Green.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cheers Pjay, those pipedream forks look just about right. If nowt comes up in the classfieds I may give them a shot

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork advice’ is closed to new replies.