• This topic has 36 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by core.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Rigid fork (26er) suggestions?
  • amedias
    Free Member

Have just broken my trust Kona P2s so need some new forks, needs to be disk only and 440mm (maybe 420s) A2C

Looking at Salsa but seem a bit lighter than the P2 so possibly not a great idea…
    Any others worth looking at?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the Salsa at all! Great forks.
    At that price I wouldn’t look any further.

amedias
    Free Member

Sturdier than the P2 though?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What are you doing with them? They’re certainly a better ride than the P2, and I’ve never heard of any breaking.

amedias
    Free Member

Just general XC, some TC, some Natural.

The P2s have caved in at the lower leg around the disc mount

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Salsas will be fine…
    If you can find some…

oxym0r0n

Salsa+1 – great on my 29er

amedias
    Free Member

Ok, getting some support for the Salsas, any other suggestions?

I’ll post a pic up when I get home of what’s happened to the P2s but basically the brake has tried to drag the mounts through the leg and the tube has partially caved under the force

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What size disc are you using? I’ve no idea what the recommended max is for P2s- just curious.

amedias
    Free Member

Only 160mm, I run 160F 140R so definitely nothing to do with big rotors!

amedias
    Free Member

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Got some lovely Bonty switchblade forks which are great of road £50 inc post.

parkesie
    Free Member

Exotic carbon do the job for me.

jezketley
    Free Member

Exotic carbon for me as well. Had mine a few years and they have been fine.

yunki
    Free Member

Exotic carbon for me too, great off road fork, although I don’t do much jumping..
    I also use a Singular fork..
    I looked at the Salsa fork when I was buying recently ( there’s a shop in Scotland that acts as their UK distributor iirc ) I would have definitely bought them, but whilst I was speaking with the Salsa importers, a 445mm Singular fork came up in the classifieds

plus-one

Another vote for the carbon exotics.. Light and lovely 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

I know I’m being picky but I really don’t like the look of the exotic, shallow I’m sure but it’s to go on a Coric Simple so think I wants something with a unicrown like the P2/Salsa

Annoyingly my friend has just sold a Singular fork last week as that would have been ideal

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got On Ones, Bontys and Exotics in the house and all seem to be fine forks. Anyone will do.

nedrapier

I went for the Salsas for the same reason. That and that everyone said they ride really nicely, which they do.

Look good, ride good well.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have some Soma CrMo MTB disc forks in 453mm if your interested, I built the bike but never used them apart to ride around the block, £60 should do it 😉

amedias
    Free Member

Could you double check that length for me as I’ve only ever seen them listed at 445 and 465mm ?

If they 445 then yes please!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

As listed here
    Not 445 🙁

purser_mark
    Free Member

I have a White Brothers rock solid carbon fork on a Kona I was intending to break. The bike is with someone else at the moment, the fork is in good condition. I think it is 445 long, not sure on steerer length.

If you are interested I can go over and check the measurements?

amedias
    Free Member

@2unfit2ride

I completely missed the bit where you said Soma, and read that as Salsa hence confusion about height.

Tempted, what’s 13mm between friends…i’ll drop you a mail if I dont find anything shorter

duntstick
    Free Member
    amedias
    Free Member

Surly…

Weight: approx. 1.42 Kilogram (uncut)

wowsers, I’ve got a 100mm travel bouncy fork that weighs less than that!
    I know I said sturdy but I’m not planning on using it as a battering ram.

duntstick
    Free Member

I think you need sturdy 😉

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Exotic Carbons in 29er form on my bike to stop it feeling to low at the front. Great fork and an excellent price.

amedias
    Free Member

I think you need sturdy

They just can’t handle my awsumz 😀

rickmeister

Another set of Exotics here. Faultless and well made..

amedias
    Free Member

Don’t doubt it, but I just don’t like the look of them, and since the fork is one of the bits I can see while riding I might as well get one I like, even if it is now a problem of my own making 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

ooooooosh… When I was talking about Salsa earlier in the thread I meant Soma.. 😳

amedias
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you remember the shop do you Yunki?

yunki
    Free Member

Fine-bicycle in Edinburgh I think.. Their website isn’t live yet (due this month) but

They’re on FB https://www.facebook.com/finebicycle and ebay

looks like their showroom may be very close to opening, or even open now too 🙂

core

I’ve got some surplus 440mm a-c on one cromo rigid forks, they’ll be cheap if you’re interested!?

amedias
    Free Member

are they unicrown or normal the on-one many-welded-tubes style?

core
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork (26er) suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.