Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rigid bike boxes: what's good and where from?
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I`m taking the carbon road bike on a plane to Portugal at the end of the month and need to transport it.

I have the offer of a bike bag but not sure that will offer enough protection.

What rigid bike boxes are good, how much do they weigh and what deals are available?

Also should I hire or buy?

Northwind

I went to Halfords and blagged a box. They recommended the Apollo boxes “Because the bikes are really heavy, and really badly packed, so the box has to be extra strong”. They weren’t wrong!

I’ve got a bike bag which goes round the outside, but tbh I wish I hadn’t bothered, bike box + lots of tape ftw.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Good tip, thanks NW.

FOG

If you want one for multiple journeys the Bike Box Alan ones are very secure. They are big and heavy though, but should resist baggage handlers gentle ways. A woman we ride with has one which we all borrow and it seems to take a wide range of bike sizes, MTB and road. Hers is however pink and is of course known as A——-‘s pink box. Before I am accused of crudity and non pcness , she started it!

rickmeister

Here you go…

Home

Its all you need. Whilst it looks expensive for the similar material you get from B&Q its very well thought out and miles better than a bag. Loads of trips and its still going strong.

turbo1397
    Free Member

I was in the same situation recently. . Bought an evoc 280 as itwas lighter than a rigid box. Packed bike according to instructions and some vids from YouTube. Not a mark on the bike when it arrived 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Loads cheap on ebay paid 67 quid for mine which was over 300 new

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rigid bike boxes: what's good and where from?’ is closed to new replies.