Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Rigid 29er – recommendations?
  • Ben_H

I currently have a Cotic Soul (120mm fork), but looking towards a 29er. The Soul is a great bike and I refurbished it last year, when I was torn on whether to replace it. I’ve had the frame for 4.5 years though and fancy a change.

Since having two small kids, I mainly ride at a local trail centre that’s 10 minutes from my house (Ashton Court, Bristol). I occasionally do some “real” mountain biking, but it’s a bit tamer and of shorter duration than pre-kids.

This brings me to a 29er. I’d probably go rigid to start with and was thinking of:

– Surly Karate Monkey (new “Ops” version);
    – Cotic Solaris;
    – Singular Swift.

Despite my loyalty to Cotic, I’m really tempted by the Monkey because it has all sorts of brazings and seems the ideal “do it all” frame. That said, I don’t want to miss the handling of my Soul too much…

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Finally, let me know if anyone’s interested in a barely used / unmarked Soul frame that 6 months ago had £250 of custom white paint, one-off pewter head badge and new decals. Custom Soul pic

khani
    Free Member

If you want steel, rigid forks and a lively feel, try a High Latitude or the latest El Mariachi, they’ve both got shorter stays and a slacker H/A than a lot of steel frames, the swinging dropouts on the El M are a joy to set up as ss or geared as well..
    I’ve got an older type El M and it’s great.. 🙂

occamsrazor
    Free Member

The Karate Monkey OPS is very nice, haven’t anything to compare to though, as are the new MDS dropouts it’s using which provide a lot of flexibility. My build is here (the last post) with some more photos here. I did get the rigid forks but haven’t tried them yet, only with front suspension so far.

Ben_H

occamsrazor –

I did see your post and like your build a lot.

My only reservation about the KM is that my Soul handles so well. I’ve never tried a 29er, so it’s a small risk that I’d miss it in going for a more conservative 29er set-up…

Anyone else gone from a 26er trail hardtail to this sort of bike?

occamsrazor
    Free Member

Fair enough, as I say this is my first “proper” MTB so I really don’t have anything to compare to. The Cotic and Singular stuff also looks very nice too, I was considering some of those also. There’s also Stanton making some nice steel frames.

Keef
    Free Member

Stooge…. 😉

BillOddie

I have the non-OPS karate monkey and to be honest unless you’re thinking of future proofing, you might as well save some £ and get the old version as I’m sure there will be cheap ones about.

The old KM track ends are fine for geared use and not really a faff to be honest.

Mine:

I bloody love it. It might get some different bars with more sweep at some point and I have just swapped the x-king on the front for a On-One Chunky Monkey, which works well in the slop.

Previously I was was riding a Ragley Blue Pig, which is vaguelly similar to the Soul or BFe. Since I have gotten the KM I have ridden it once…

Some adjustment needed to rigid and big wheels but not as much as you’d think.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Two more for the list:

Kona Unit. Cheap(ish) SS but set-up to run gears too with a dropout swapout (yes, I see what I did there 8) ).

Salsa El Mariachi. Not ridden one personally, but know a few owners who rave about it. I did read one review of someone who’d got one after riding a Unit and described the Unit as ‘dead’. Maybe a little harsh, but I guess that’s where the extra pennies go.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoy riding my Unit (so to speak) and on short blasts it compares favourably with the Solaris I sold recently.

Oh – and another. When Mike brings in the new Dialled Bikes PA I think that will be a fun hardtail, if the current PA is anything to go by.

Clink

How about new Stooge?

http://stoogecycles.co.uk/

swavis

Inbred 29er frame and a Surly ECR fork for 29er+ on the front. Love mine and it doesn’t cost the earth 😀

gazc
    Free Member

genesis fortitude second hand unless you can find a new one. most fun you can have with your clothes on 😀 😉

addy6402

Charge Cooker SS here, great fun for a quick blast…EBB though so less adaptable although there are geared versions.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Jones Diamond or Spaceframe, or how about a Krampus?

tazzymtb

The correct answer is a jones…or you could look at it another…get a jones…failing that a funny looking bike with a name that rhymes with bones would be a good bet. Or a stooge 😀

jameso

I don’t want to miss the handling of my

… I don’t miss the handling of anything when I’m riding this, still. Had it a while now. tbh after a week of bikepacking somewhere rocky a susser appeals.. but it copes incredibly well. It’s not a replacement for everything but I’m continually suprised by how close it can be to an XC racer, a rigid AM, a play-bike and a road tourer all in one, at the same time. Quite unique, not cheap but good value.

BillOddie

Also worth asking yourself if you want rigid (with the option of sus forks) or rigid specific…

I went the former route.

Don’t regret the KM at all but I’m not planning on fitting a sus fork any time soon.

acehtn
    Free Member

Another KM ragger 🙂

However check out the Highland Trial 550 thread and race, quite a few rigid 29er’s being used…..and some singlespeeds too, anything thats made it round the course should be a safe bet, or just get a KM 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

Very happy owner of a rigid Salsa El Mariachi 2014 version. Great fun to ride, very capable. The full suss hasn’t had a look in since I got it’s so fun to ride.

takisawa2

Niner SIR.9 here.
    Of all the 29ers I’ve tried, it rides the most like a Soul, & that’s why I bought one.
    It’s flexy, but so darned comfy.

Karate Monkey was a fair bit heavier, & to be honest, the 29er Inbred rides much the same, but a fair bit cheaper. 😐

Used to be limited choice but some nice options now.
    The Stooge would certainly warrant a closer look.
    Surly Krampus was a right laugh.
    The ECR (Krampus for bikepacking), looks good too.

I’d be looking very closely at the Canfield Nimble 9, especially the Chrome version, that’s lovely.

But have to say, my Niner takes some beating (for me).
    With the steel forks on it’s such a nice ride.

Clink

I’d be looking very closely at the Canfield Nimble 9, especially the Chrome version, that’s lovely.

New frames very heavy though. A gen 1 Nimble 9 would be good, if you can get one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve had a swift and an El-Mariachi.

Both good, swift was more ‘steel’, E-M is stiffer. Both EBB and alternator dropouts have their advantages. I’d prefer an EBB as I’ve trashed an alternator dropout (bolt ‘threaded’ itself, electrolytic corrosion?).

Fancy something carbon now……….

biff

Jones — perhaps not in your budget but I’ve had mine since 2007 so the value for money is racking up nicely. All the rest are Jones Geometry catch-ups very valid options. Just enjoy riding whatever you have/get/can.

letmetalktomark

I am a Cotic fan. Loved my Soul but didn’t get on with my Solaris 😥

The Inbred with Salsa fork is a good sub £250 deal.

That said my most ridden bike and favourite for some time is my Fortitude.

Bregante

I miss my KM more than any other bike I’ve had.

vorlich
    Free Member

Well, I see the Jones mafia has already been in. 😉 I got one earlier this year after riding a Soul for a few years.

I do love my Soul and will be building it back up later this year, but the Jones diamond frame is brilliant. I run mine half fat ATM, it may not be for everyone, but it’s very capable, comfortable and nimble. I’m not entirely sure how it does all these things.

It flatters my riding. Not to mention no more aching shoulders and zero lower back issues since I got it.

The Soul is a good bike. The Jones is a great bike. YMMV.

jameso

the Jones mafia has already been in

: ) Like buses, 3 come along at once ..
    I try to stop myself being a fan, usually fail. Credit where it’s due.

Nipper99
    Free Member

My newly built up Swift.

Swift 001 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

placid_casual
    Free Member

Another El Mariachi vote here. Mine is a 2013 singlespeed (in limited Golden Child orange). No braze-ons etc.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dVE5zU]
    Salsa El Mariachi Singlespeed[/url] by placid casual, on Flickr

Ben_H

Oooh…help!

The Swift is definitely added to the list; it seems to be £417 including fork at Wiggle. Plus, I could re-use my existing old-tech 1.1/8 headset and 27.2mm seatpost.

What tyre sizes are people using? 2.2, 2.4 or more?

jamj1974

gazc – Member
    genesis fortitude second hand unless you can find a new one. most fun you can have with your clothes on

Love mine for rides up to a couple of hours or so. More than that and I find it a bit punishing.

Kryton57

Loving the look of placid casuals El Mar. Luckily for me it’s not for sale….

Does anyone know how the new white ones compare to those older frames? Despite the fact I’m less keen on the colour…

Nipper99
    Free Member

2.35 Nobby Nic on the front and 2.2 Conti Race King on the back of my Swift – get a new Swift frame and i think they are 29plus ready.

placid_casual
    Free Member

Does anyone know how the new white ones compare to those older frames? Despite the fact I’m less keen on the colour…

Chainstays are shorter on the 2014 (white singlespeed) version meaning it’ll feel slightly more exciting. That feeling isn’t to everyone’s taste however. I prefer a wheel behind me rather than the unicycle effect of it being below.

As for getting one second hand, if anyone sells one that they have then they’re stupid.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Rigid 29er – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.