Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rights of Way Question – Footpath "extinguished"
  • edlong
    Free Member

There is, or was, a public footpath near me. It passes by a school / through its grounds – the school is enclosed by fences, the path runs outside the fence, and the other side of the path is a sports pitch (belonging to the school). Over the summer, two large steel gates appeared at each end and a notice has been put there from the school that they have had the right of way “extinguished” and will be locking the gates during school hours. They will open them outside of hours “subject to suitable behaviour” or some such (as far as I know there’s not been any significant vandalism or antisocial behaviour, but local kids do use the field and doubtless drink and smoke as kids sometimes do).

There was, as far as I know (and I live locally) no consultation about this with the community.

IF it’s been “extinguished” is that it? Ship sailed? Too late? Or is there anything I can do to object?

If it helps, I’ve since found out that not only did the school get the kids to write letters asking for this to happen, they forced them, i.e. there was at least one kid who said they didn’t agree but they forced them to write in support anyway.

FWIW, I’m not being a trouble maker for the sake of it – me and my family have frequently used that path, during school hours.

Possible further complication – one of my children attends the school. No, they didn’t communicate anything of their plans to parents either.

Cheers

beefheart
    Free Member

Was it on fire?

jekkyl

first contact should be with the ROW officer at the local council.

A right of way can only be extinguished via official means. They would have to had notices put up months ago giving the public time to protest.

edlong
    Free Member

Cheers. No notices went up until the “it’s been done, we’re locking the gates” ones appeared last week. I’ll try the ROW people as suggested.

Thanks

schnor
    Free Member

Sounds like a path that’s had an ‘alley-gating’ order on it (random link). There should have been notices at the start and end of the gated bit before the order was confirmed (and IIRC two weeks after confirmation date), no notices means the order is defective (but sometimes they’re hidden behind overgrowth).

Your RoW team will confirm if there is an order on the path (and ask them for copies of the photos of notices as they have to check them and take photos)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rights of Way Question – Footpath "extinguished"’ is closed to new replies.