Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Righto…who's ready for another newbie please help with tubeless thread??
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Okay here goes, please no heckling……

Ordered my mew wheels, hope hoops with stans 29er crest rims…

will this…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49111

and this….

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYCOXKING/continental_x_king_skin_folding_tyre

Do the job and be all i’ll need?

Thanks in advance

JB 😀

MarkN
    Free Member

That should do you. I assume the tape is correct for the rims. Check out the no tubes website for the “how to” video. Get a brush/cloth and some bubbles. Take the valve core out to get the bead seated first time round would be my advice.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

21mm tape for Crests- I should know as Ive been missold some for flow ex rims when it should have been 25mm

wolly
    Free Member

I’d be careful with ‘cheap’ conti tyres they’re an absolute bastard to seal, and the sidewalls are paper thin

epo-aholic
    Free Member

cheers for the heads up on tape width Mark/Matt
    Wolly – i had heard that, would these be better…..

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k2018/a84894/rocket-ron-performance-dc-29-x-210-foldable.html

??

cheers

wolly
    Free Member

I’ve never used them so can’t comment, a lot of its trial and error with non tubeless ready/non ust tyres. Chances are somebody’s tried it before so have a google

Clobber
    Free Member

I’d personally never use the “performance” schwalbe compound after some wet root/wet rock experiences…

Schwalbe now do tubeless ready, Maxxis always seem to mount and hold air on my stans rims, what about Maxxis Ikons?

andyl46
    Free Member

I ran ron’s on my crests tubelessly no problems, much easier to inflate than my race sport conti’s, but they’re not strictly tubeless ready, the rons were.

si69jc
    Free Member

Conti’s can be hard work. the sidewalls have a million little holes!! you will always get them to seal eventually but a little ( sometimes a lot) of patience is required..

nowmefeelinit
    Free Member

JB – been through this recently for my 26″ Flow Ex rims so just checked for Crests.

According to Stan’s website here the Crest rim can use a 21 or 25 mm tape. The tape in the kit you linked to is 25 mm – I got the same kit from a different website where it was advertised as 25 mm tape which is exactly what I got.

I’ve taped both of my wheels and there was a fair amount of tape left over so I think they’ll do 29er rims. Definitely follow the video tutorial on Stan’s website.

Still got tubes in mine as instructed by the video tutorial to make sure the tape has stuck to the rim properly so haven’t used the jizz yet. The only thing I’m not sure on is how much jizz to use – I think I read somewhere that the 59 ml in each bottle is for ‘normal’ tyres but larger volume tyres need more but I don’t know how much more. I’m setting up 26 x 2.2″ BC Rubber Queens (large volume) so I wonder if your 29er tyres might need a little more also? Anyone else know the answer to this (if you don’t mind me jumping on the back of your thread!)?

Stu

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Cheers Stu and everyone else, very informative…..just watched all the vids on the stans site, is it really that awesome??? 😯

steve_b77
    Free Member

21mm tape for crests, I’ve done 3 sets like that.

Schwalbe tyres go up fine, sometimes a little loose, bit will go up eventually.

Specialized tyres are tight but inflate & hold air straight away with a track pump.

si69jc
    Free Member

Hard to say on the amount of juice required.

On difficult to seal tyres you can put upto 3 capfuls in then take some out latter once they’re sealed!!

MarkN
    Free Member

just watched all the vids on the stans site, is it really that awesome???

I have come back to my bike the day after ride to check it over and found roof tacks in the tyre. Removed and self sealed fine. Top the tyre up a bit and job done.

The Stans site used to have a list of tyres that would work/not work well as I recall. I have used Maxxis, Panaracer, Nevegal on Bonty TLR rims and ghetto. The Panaracer was the worst as it leaked a lot through the tyre walls.

Word of warning. The latex solution does have a useful lifetime in the tyre but you should check it say every six months tops. It will dry out and get used as it does its job. Nothing worse than getting a puncture out on the trail and finding no sealant left in the tyre.

iainc

Maybe a daft question, but how do you check the sealant ?

si69jc
    Free Member

you can usually hear the sealant in the tyre if you give it a shake!!

iainc

Ah, right, I guess it was a bit of a daft question then !

curvature
    Free Member

Just fitted the exact same wheels this weekend to my Clockwork using the standard fit Continentals.

Went straight up using a track pump. I was amazed how good the tyre walls were, very few leaks at all. Better than the Maxis tyres on my other bike.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Righto…who's ready for another newbie please help with tubeless thread??’ is closed to new replies.