Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Right, you love a good rant…
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Some complete Hat-stand on Pinkbike sold me a full-sus, carbon frame.

Stated as in mint condition, only in need of a shock to finish (headset, seatclamp, bb etc all needed too).

Took 3 1/2 weeks to arrive.

In the box was this note:

I have included another bearing kit for you as a good will gesture. These are just short of £90 at TRADE price. I didn’t manage to fully tighten the frame up, so please go over this before assembling.

Make thanks

Luke.

So….. on inspection, he’s had a good go at replacing the bearings – making a few mistakes.. like trying to push out one bearing, getting stuck and thinking… ‘oh, **** it, he wont notice’. So that’s a half in, half out gritty bearing.

He also didn’t put on any of the caps that sit under the bolts.

Also missing is the bottom bracket cable guide for the front mech, and the three Scott specific cable guide, which screw into the bottle cage bolts for the rear mech and rear brake.

So a pretty unusable frame, and a total idiot.

How can you send someone something that is blatantly not right, and try to smooth it over with a pathetic note.

Been in touch with the chap and his reponse was:

‘i did include a note with the frame stating the bearing situation. i also included a bearing kit with the bike, which was already £90 expense at my loss. the bearings are correct for the bike and are all present, as arebrane new shock and pivot bolts. i included any parts which i did not put in the frame, as i new these were needed but them not being presen in the frame as the linkage would only need to come off anyways.

I’ve given him two options:

1. Refund me the full amount
    2. Pay for a repair

Seems like the proper thing to do, would be either one of these.

I’ll see what he says, if he declines the options I’ll name and shame him here, Pinkbike, Bikeradar…. probably anywhere I can find.

He seems a well known poster on Pinkbike, so should be offended by that.

What a t1t.

scaredypants

oh dear 🙁

how did you pay ?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s surprising the amount of sellers on various sites (not to mention posters here) that have no idea that ‘mint’ means ‘as minted’, as in ‘as new and when it left the factory’.

Usually, pointing them in the direction of a good dictionary helps.

godzilla
    Free Member

Bravo echo lima lima, echo november delta. Sadly the world is full of people who have a very different view of what is mint/good/perfect/unused condition. This is where pay-pal/ebay have there uses.

deanfbm
    Free Member

What you’re requesting is absolutely correct.

I had a recent bad dealing on pink bike.

Bought a frame, it arrives in ok time, badly packaged. Open it up, the shock isn’t what they said it was. I was not happy with the overall condition either.

I tell the seller this, they go back and edit their pink bike ad, claim im mistaken, insist I can’t return the frame and offer me £50. I pull up the ebay ad, sure enough, I was correct about the description, copied and pasted from pink bike. I link them the ebay ad and they dismiss it.

Next morning i find a crack. They give excuses like it must have happened in the post, i’ll get an engineers report, what a joke. They give me a runaround a bit for a refund, I eventually get it.

I post the frame back to them, then they’ve got the cheek to moan at me for the frame breaking through the packaging they sent it in, that they insisted i used to return it in, for evidence against royal mail.

I doubt i’ll see the return postage, they promised it me if i help with the royal mail claim. i’m just glad to get the refund for what i originally paid.

I try to scope people before I buy, make sure they have an ebay account with good feedback, get them to message me on ebay so i know it’s them, ask for references. I did all this, still got finger warmed a little.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

What annoys me more is that the chap obviously thought I either wouldn’t notice, or wouldn’t care.

The cost for fitting a full bearing kit on the frame is circa £100 + £90 for the kit. Great that he’s included a kit, but I’m still left £100 out of pocket – IF – all the parts are there – which dealer I’ve visited has suggested aren’t.

Giving me a £90 bearing kit doesnt equal a working frame if that involves a good 5 hours time fitting it.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’ll just be clever and say I’ve never bought anything second hand in my life that I haven’t seen with my own eyes.

It’s a philosophy that has worked well for me so far.

andrewh
    Free Member

Return address on the box?

To mis-quote muddydwarf sometime last week ‘own him with the medieval battleaxe.’ Bombers are sooo last year.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

I did get lots of photos, just happened to be before the ass-hat had attempted a bearing change. Apparently he works in a garage or a bike shop too… so i feel sorry for whoever he does work for professionally!

walleater

The cost for fitting a full bearing kit on the frame is circa £100 + £90 for the kit.

Jesus, how many bearings are there….70? I’d find a shop that can change frame bearings in under five hours!

geoffj

Luke + he works in a garage or a bike shop too…

It didn’t come from St Andrews did it?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Right then, following on from the saga – the chap is dodging my two options for him, so I’ve given him an ultimatum:

Well, the frame is at my local Scott dealer – I have no other option, other than to use a Scott dealer as the missing parts are Scott specific.

Again, I’ll re-iterate:

1. Return the frame for full refund.
    2. You pay for a shop to sort out the bodged job.

You have tried to scam me, and it really isn’t going to work. You can’t sell something that you have got halfway through servicing/repairing and decide to pass it off to someone else to fix, at their cost.

If you look a bit further up our emails I asked the question: ‘are all other bolts are included’… you confirmed that they were – as in fact, brakes and gear cables can’t be run.

I’m losing patience, so you can have another chance then I will name and shame on STW, PinkBike, Bikeradar, and any other bike forum.

That sound fair? He works in a bike shop as a mechanic, so wouldn’t be great if people knew he was a complete t0ss3r.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohhhh! Tough talk! Go for it!

wwaswas

I think you;re being fair and if he’s a mechanic he has no excuse for not doing the job properly in the first place.

R.lepecha

He wont know what STW is, He uses pinkbike too much…

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive just had a similar experience on pinkbike… bought a DH bike in good faith from a guy, it was advertised as forks had just been TF tuned, all bearings had just been replaced and they where going to through in a spare set of frame bearings, plus the bike had just been fully serviced…

all bearings on the bike, BB, headset, frame bearings and wheels, where completely rusted dead, all bolts on the frame had never been taken of the bike in years

brakes needed bleeding

the fork had a compression damper rod broken, and had never been serviced in a long time..

air leaked out of the boost chamber on the rear shock…

and he never sent me the spare bearings

just as well i enjoy doing my own bike mechanics, and can do my own servicing with suspension etc, or i would have sent it back to him….. i still feel i got a good deal money wise, with the haggle i did at the beginning and i paid via paypal(not gift) maybe not so good a deal with the time Ive spent on it though…. I was very disappointed that the dude wasn’t strait up with me about it… i think he got lucky selling the bike to me, Cu’s i reckon most others would have thrown it back at him…..

a couple of hundred bucks and a good bit of time and the beast has been restored to it’s full glory, it has to be said ive enjoyed doing it

uplink
    Free Member

He works in a bike shop as a mechanic

Given some of the stuff I’ve seen bike shops do, that would have started the red light flashing and the sirens going off

MentalMickey
    Free Member

He works in a bike shop as a mechanic

Halfords. 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

Hahaha!, that sounds all to favmiliar to me! in a bad way! I used to buy and resell frames on ebay, did it for 5 years and learned how to service frames and got my extensive tooling collection by doing so.

That said when the recession hit, people started selling utter shite and refused to refund at all, ebay has you covered if you use paypal but it doesn’t really take care of the stress of dealing with it.

If you can’t send the frame back send it to me and I will sort it, if I can and if I can’t fix it cheaply then I doubt anyone can, that said over 1’000 frames serviced and thousands of tools.

Post it in and I’ll see what can be done, is it a carbon ransom?

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Kaesae, YGM.

You’re a star dude 🙂 Been meaning to buy a couple of kits off you recently.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Right, you love a good rant…’ is closed to new replies.