Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Right – who is up for a challenge? New vehicle needed – help me!
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Right – prerequisites/context

do a 32 mile round trip on open roads (to Chesterfield every day) – 25 minutes each way.
    Travel with usual 2 in car (me plus daughter) – sometimes 3. Never really any more.
    Use car for MTB (and also as a bike stuff store) and shopping for food, collecting wood, heating oil etc.
    Do probably 14-16k miles per year
    Not bothered about looks – them days are over – lol
    Have £3-4K to spend
    Want a flat “load bay” with no boot lip and no seats in the way when folded down.
    Useful when camping
    Not shite in snow

Can’t see past another berlingo.

Can you suggest anything else (apart from berlingo relatives)?

scotroutes

Multipla

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no boot space as such when seats are up

gee
    Free Member

Audi A4 diesel?

scotroutes

You don’t need to have all the back seats in all the time. With three of you in the front it is like a van on the back – and you can also set the back seats further forward.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so the back seats come out with ease?

jambon
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a 2nd hand Zafira 1.9 TDI. Huge and drives like a proper car rather than a van. Previous ‘car’ was an 18yr old Citroen C15 so not much to compare the Zafira too I’m afraid.

The back 2 seats are thin and ‘disappear’ when not in use leaving a BIG boot area and seating for 5 in comfort.

Edric64
    Free Member

Something like a megane senic the seats come out leaving a flat load bay .At least they did on older models that I drove

windjammer
    Free Member

i have a fiat doblo much bigger than a berlingo,i do 110 miles each day to work and back i get 40mpg doing 75mph on the motorways,get the 120bhp it goes quick with a full load,rear seats split so can get 3 bikes with wheels on

hora
    Free Member

Mondeo

scotchegg
    Free Member

Just picked up a nissan xtrail for £3.5k. 38mpg from my last full tank, in my view an estate on steroids.

Huge load space and will be great in next years snow.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A pre 06 1.9 130bhp tdi PD Passat estate, with less than say, 100K on which you can get for less than 5K? If you can find one that is.
    Mines got 232K on, you can have it for 1K if I can find another.

Bomb
    Proof.

scotroutes

Aye – you just fold them down and flick a lever. They come out individually so are easily manipulated and you can take out as many/few as needed. 4 folk and 4 bikes and gear is easily possible. That leaves a big flat load area (bigger as you don’t have a seat in there). Of course, it also relies on you having somewhere to store the seat(s) you’ve taken out 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

in the huge boot 😉

br
    Free Member

Freelander.

Northwind

Good thing about the uglipla is the 3 front seats… I’ve got a big estate which has the back seats down all the time, and it’s irritating to have to open up a 3rd seat- not because it’s hard or anything but because I’ve got a tarp in the back, stuff in the footwells, etc to make the most use of it when it’s van-ised. Ugly gets around that.

esselgruntfuttock – Member

A pre 06 1.9 130bhp tdi PD Passat estate, with less than say, 100K on which you can get for less than 5K? If you can find one that is.

Or you could get a mondeo for half as much, with less miles and a bigger boot.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

been there before with a mondeo – DMF!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Main issue is flogging my Panda 100hp – surprised with no interest!

Northwind

rob jackson – Member

been there before with a mondeo – DMF!

OK then- get a mondeo for half as much, with less miles and a bigger boot, and if the DMF needs done which it probably won’t, get it whipped out and fire in a new clutch while you’re at it and it’s STILL cheaper than the Passat 😉 (which also has a DMF-eating habit, but is more expensive to fix)

I still reckon the multipla fits. I wouldn’t let one within a mile of my house personally but they’re really good.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cost £1k last time!

Northwind

In that case I have a bridge in brooklyn I can sell you 😯 Main dealer?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

independant

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Really want a car that i can wheel my bike into, hence the berlingo love.

hora
    Free Member

1.6 Berlingo then.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hora STFU. You know the 1.6hdi is ****

handyandy
    Free Member

i love my berlingo

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Looking at:

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3

br
    Free Member

Those Berlingo’s must be rather ‘boomy’ inside, having little/no sound-proofing?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not arsed tbh

speedstar

This GF actually turned round yesterday and said we needed to buy a van!!! Has this ever happened before in the world of MTB?! I almost asked her to marry me there and then. Of course I can’t afford either right now but hey-ho. So my suggestion is get a small van you can “renovate.”

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not a goer at the minute

hora
    Free Member

Petrol 1.6.

Showed mrshora my mates T5 5seater yesterday ‘why soo big’?

‘d love your Panda but its too small 🙁

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Renault Scenic 1.5 dci.
    60mpg, big boot anyway – remove rear seats in 2 minutes, becomes a van (it does have a boot lip tho’).
    Plus lots of clever storage compartments in the floor (under the mats, a-la Millenium Falcon), under seats, etc.

hora
    Free Member

(I’m on this thread as I’m also looking for a bike van/mpv/family thing)

The Scenic- are you sure? No offence meant but aren’t they troublesome?

martymac

subaru forester, decent ones start at a lot less than 4k, use any money you save for fuel as they are a little thirsty.

trail_rat
    Free Member

no car is even close to perfect – thats how manufactureres sell new cars.

anything at 3-4k is going to need money spent on it to keep it on the road UNLESS its slow – NA/not tuned to death.

NA Diesel engine will be your best bet for bomb proof imo and as few electrics as possible. – wont do mega MPG – 40MPG to be expected.

Not so fussy on service as a turbo , no DMF (as N/A engined vehicles generally are pre DMF)

slow as shit though. but can take a load and petrol engines dont get on , hate the constant gear changing to get up hills. The N/A in my van performed the same with an 900KG engine and gear box in the back as it did with nothing – only difference was the illumination of the top of the trees due to the rear end being slammed – would have been a grim experiance with a small petrol engine.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

NOT A NORMAL CAR HEIGHT – want to wheel bikes in

hora
    Free Member

Forester 8)

30-35mpg. Same as a 1.6 petrol Focus.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i like foresters – was looking at 2.5 N/A

the rot on a couple i looked at put me off.

rear arches are paperthin tin and love to rot for fun.

can be had really cheap if i could be arsed to weld in new arches —- i dont need another project.

hora
    Free Member

They rot??????????????

New to me. Maybe the ones you have seen aren’t looked after?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Right – who is up for a challenge? New vehicle needed – help me!’ is closed to new replies.