• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DJTC.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Right tool for Hope threaded BB30
  • scud
    Free Member

Hi all,
    My frame takes a 68/73mm threaded BB, but I have the new Hope cranks with 30mm axle, I’ve purchased the right BB, so that it takes the larger axle, but the Hollowtech BB tool is obviously too small to fit the BB width.

Could anyone tell me the correct tool to fit the BB with?

tonyplym
    Free Member

If its a threaded external Shimano-style HT2 bottom bracket then one tool fits them all – something like this should do the job.

(Edit: from later posts it would seem that this isn’t the right tool . . . odd that Hope don’t make more of the fact that a “special” tool is needed on their website, and don’t make any reference that I can see as to what the right tool actually is)

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

No do not buy that above!!!!!

You need to get the tool from Hope. (if it a Hope BB)
    You sure you got the right BB, as I think Hope & one other do threaded BB for a 30mm axle,
    If you brought it altogether Hope BB Hope cranks etc, think the tool come wit the kit/box.

Or just go back to the shop you got the cranks from, I sure they be happy to fit it for.

scud
    Free Member

Sorry Tony that wouldn’t fit, the bottom bracket is threaded like the Shimano Hollowtech ones, but because Hope cranks have 30mm wide axle which is bigger than the Shimano axle, the cups look like Hollowtech ones but are wider so normal tool like the one you have linked too are too small.
    Its this BB

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-mtb-stainless-steel-30mm-bottom-bracket/rp-prod128184

tonyplym
    Free Member

Maybe this one perhaps ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope’s own tool, HTT188 is the one you need

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Coatesy, that’s then one, typically couldn’t find that anywhere on Hope site.

otsdr
    Free Member

“BSA 30 tool” is what you are looking for, can be found on quite a few websites.

Potdog
    Free Member

Yep, you need Hopes specific tool for their threaded BB30. It’s not very expensive.

Scapegoat

I think I got mine from 18 bikes.

Annoyingly, the tool is too wide to fit the BB to my Ibis Mojo, as the flat outer ring of the tool is too wide to fit in the space between the BB outer cup and the suspension linkage by a few millimeters.

DJTC
    Free Member

it does say it on their website.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Right tool for Hope threaded BB30’ is closed to new replies.