Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)
  • Right to be peeved? Kids nativity content
  • bencooper
    Free Member

Offspring’s nativity show today, was very cute – though not keen on all these modern pop songs. But all nice and inclusive telling of the story.

But at the end there was “a few words from our local minister” who told everyone that the story was really true, God was really watching over us all and Jesus is with us every day, and then “let us pray”.

Pretty uncomfortable for us atheists – I assume pretty uncomfortable for the Muslim and Hindu kids and parents too.

Have fired off a email to the school reminding them of their obligations under guidelines regarding worship. Over-reaction or reasonable?

jimdubleyou

I’m sure that when they have their Eid Mubarrak or Diwali celebrations they have an equivalent preacher?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Have fired off a email to the school reminding them of their obligations under guidelines regarding worship. Over-reaction or reasonable?

Complete over reaction.

Don’t attend the celebration of the 2nd most important Christian Festival if you don’t want to be exposed to Christianity.

Pretty uncomfortable for us atheists – I assume pretty uncomfortable for the Muslim and Hindu kids and parents too.

Why would it be uncomfortable for the Muslim and Hindu kids?

The Muslims actually worship the same God just by a different route. Jesus is also in the Koran, so a lot of common ground.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Oh this is a whole world of debate. Our 5yr old now believes in God because his school have indoctrinated/groomed him in to it.

He gets absolutely no balance at all, so its difficult when he comes home, and as parents we have to try and provide balance without upsetting a 5yr old.

the-muffin-man

You do realise it’s a play about Jesus Christ!

If your opinions on religion where that strong, why attend or let her take part at all.

Yes – major over-reaction. I think you owe the school an apology.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d have stud up and just asked him. ‘God? Show me one single tiny thread of proof…’

Just as well court cases aren’t decided on the same basis. ‘I have belief and faith that the defendant is guilty, despite not one tiny bit of evidence being presented by the defence’.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Overreaction.

It’s Christmas. It’s the story of the birth of Christ.

If you’re going to participate in Christmas in general then a minutes silent non-participation in a harmless wee prayer’s not too much to ask.

If your kids school’s anything like ours the kids will receive considerably more instruction in the ways of Islam, Judaism et. al. than they do in Christianity.

matt_outandabout

Total over reaction.

Did you really go to a widely celebrated Christian festival and not expect to hear something of it?

bencooper
    Free Member

No, they don’t – don’t usually have anyone, teachers handle it, which is fine. I’ve got no problem with Christianity being taught as “this is what some people believe” alongside other religions, it’s when the local minister is invited in to proselytize.

toppers3933
    Free Member

What the **** did you go for then? It’s a story about Jesus being born. What exactly were you expecting?

Nah hang on a minute, this is a subtle wind up isn’t it? Surely?

MussEd
    Free Member

My four year old is now convinced Jesus is ‘KING OF THE WORLD’ because the nativity at his nursery and proceeds to shout it whenever we pass anything vaguely relating to the Nativity.(outside a local church on our High Street for example)

However he also has a proper balanced understanding of the true meaning of Christmas by declaring ‘I want that’ at every advert on Ch5 in between epsiodes of Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom and Peppa Pig.

He’ll grow out of both I expect.

bencooper
    Free Member

Don’t attend the celebration of the 2nd most important Christian Festival if you don’t want to be exposed to Christianity.

All her friends were participating. It’s a wee school play, like doing The King And I or something.

Glasgow City Council’s Religious Observance Policy states that:

“It is important that all children, young people and staff can participate with integrity in the forms of Religious Observance devised by the school without compromise to their personal faith stances.”

and

“National guidance states that the appropriate place for organised Acts of Worship in the non-denominational sector is within the informal curriculum out with the formal activity of a school.”

and

“An approach seeking to convert an audience to one faith or another is not appropriate in the non-denominational sector”

AD

Is it a Church of Scotland School? If so, I’d just suck it up and explain your own views to your kid(s).
    FWIW my kids go to the local C of E School (in our village). Part of the deal is an element of religious ‘stuff’. In fairness the school is actually pretty good at covering all religions but there is a bloody great big cross on the front with ‘Christ dwells in every one of us’ on the front of the building 🙂 Most people seem to have no problem ignoring it!
    My son is adamant there is no god and happily proclaims this at school. My daughter thinks the exact opposite. I’m hoping she grows out of it…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Any Excuse:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpsXNlarAk8[/video]

hels
    Free Member

I am sure the kids won’t be irrevocably damaged. They probably think Sponge Bob is real too ?

warns74
    Free Member

In your spirit of truth and openness, have you also sat her down and told her Santas not real?

fasthaggis

That’s the trouble when people are too shy to speak up.
    It starts as children you know,there was a whole thread about it. 😉

richc
    Free Member

You are worried about God being mentioned in a Nativity play… seriously…

If it bothers you that much, I’m sure you could have asked for your child not to take part.

Personally I think you should be apologizing to the school for being unreasonable

gobuchul
    Free Member

All her friends were participating. It’s a wee school play, like doing The King And I or something.

No it’s really not.

I doubt you would show such disrespect for other religions and their festivals.

BTW I am not religious.

jimdubleyou

In your spirit of truth and openness, have you also sat her down and told her Santas not real?

WTF? Nobody told me 😯

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m torn on it. I’m an atheist but my wife isn’t and she’s bringing the kids up with a religious foundation, taking them to Church, Sunday School etc. I really can’t get that too excited about it – its a good mechanism to teach kids values, so I leave them to it. As far as indoctrinating them, I realise this is the case, but it’s harmless ultimately and no different to indoctrinating them to any other of their parents views and opinions – like supporting a particular foot ball club for example. And I won’t be trying to influence the kids when they get older and start asking questions – i’ll give them my reasons for me being an atheist and hopefully we’ll have a sensible debate on the subject and they can draw their own conclusions – though I can’t do that with my wife as she gets all arsey when the topic comes up.

I’d feel much better if we simply removed all references to any religion from our institutions and schools. If people want to follow a religion then they can do so in their own time….like biking or Squash or any other activity or pastime people indulge in. I don’t see why it has to come into school, other than maybe Religious Education classes.

bencooper
    Free Member

You are worried about God being mentioned in a Nativity play… seriously…

No. I am annoyed about a minister trying to convert my child in a non-denominational school, against guidelines.

If it bothers you that much, I’m sure you could have asked for your child not to take part.

The nativity show was great, was very happy for her to take part with all her friends. It was the group prayer session afterwards that was unacceptable.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s Christmas. It’s the story of the birth of Christ.

I’ve highlighted the important bit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Uncomfortable? In what way? I’ve added plenty of religious services, catholic, Muslim, cofe, cofs and I’m an atheists, well I would be if I gave it much thought, and wasn’t in the slightest bit ‘uncomfortable’. I didn’t expect any of them to bow to my preferences.

Complete and utter over reaction. I’m surprised that you’ve behaved like that to be honest as you’ve never come across as the precious type.

bencooper
    Free Member

No it’s really not.

It is if you’re atheist. What’s the difference?

ninfan
    Free Member

I would suggest that the fact you were attending nativity play may have been a useful indicator of the possibility of religious content?

You were of course, free to not go to it yourself or ask for your kids not to take part in it – I would imagine that you didn’t exercise these options because you wish to live as part of a tolerant and multi faith society in which we we are happy to politley respect and where appropriate join in other peoples celebration of their faith, whatever that may be, without needing to self flagellate over their incompatibility with our own beliefs?

bencooper
    Free Member

Uncomfortable? In what way?

I spent most of my early schooling being made to feel different and somehow bad because I wouldn’t close my eyes and bow my head when the visiting minister told me to – I’m not having that for my daughter too.

russianbob
    Free Member

HUGE over reaction. Just explain to your child that some people believe and some don’t and some people believe other things entirely. Each is entitled to their opinion. Did the minister baptise them against their will? All my kids have gone to a CoE school and as have believed as small kids, they’ve grown up, formed their own opinions and are now happy. Firing off an email? All that that will have done is flagged you as one of those parents.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh this is a whole world of debate. Our 5yr old now believes in God because his school have indoctrinated/groomed him in to it.

Maybe you should have picked a school where religion isn’t part of the curriculum.

I blame the parents.

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

Blimey. First it was (nearly) nudey calendars, but now this…

Sounds reasonable enough. I imagine it ruined the nice brand experience you had with the school.

jimdubleyou

I’m torn on it. I’m an atheist but my wife isn’t and she’s bringing the kids up with a religious foundation

OT – did you go to the Christening? And did you say the words if you did?

bencooper
    Free Member

I would suggest that the fact you were at a nativity play may have been a useful indicator of the possibility of religious content.

I would like it to be treated exactly the same as Hanukkah, Diwali, Ramadan etc. It wasn’t.

loddrik
    Free Member

My kids don’t believe in God, as a result of my beliefs.

Though the 6 year old has no probs believing in father Christmas and the tooth fairy . At least they only bring positivity.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I was educated by a C of E school, attended all the ‘important’ church services and took part in traditional ‘preachy’ Nativity plays.
    However. as an adult I have absolutely zero religious beliefs whatsoever.

Basically – don’t worry about it. Instead, use your energy raising a normal balanced kid and he’ll just make his own call on it.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Total over reaction.

Did you really go to a widely celebrated Christian festival and not expect to hear something of it?

+ lots

Get a grip, the nativity is a story about christ. This type of thing has being going on for years in schools, its traditional.

If I was the recipient of that e.mail I’d file in the ‘knobber’ folder…

toppers3933
    Free Member

But it is impossible for the story of the nativity to be non denominational. So it is religious whether you like it or not.
    Anyway, what’s wrong with the making their ones minds up about it? I was brought up surrounded by it. Went to Sunday school and church etc but I’m not even remotely religious. being told about it doesn’t mean they’re going to be standing in the town centre with a small PA system hurling their opinions at others. It just means they’re getting both sides of it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Really ! Its a Christian celebration. Nativity. Get it? If you don’t like the idea then take your kid to a school that ignores Christmas. Better still have a little considration for others. You didn’t have to go. I assume that won’ t be having next Friday off work.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Maybe you should have picked a school where religion isn’t part of the curriculum.

I blame the parents.

Its not a C of E, Catholic or Faith School. What other options do I have?

Oh and I have no issue with my son learning about religion, I do however think he should be allowed to make his own decisions, and school not tell him that God is true and the only one.

bencooper
    Free Member

I was educated by a C of E school, attended all the ‘important’ church services and took part in traditional ‘preachy’ Nativity plays.

This is a Scottish state school which is non-denominational – to quote myself:

Glasgow City Council’s Religious Observance Policy states that:

“It is important that all children, young people and staff can participate with integrity in the forms of Religious Observance devised by the school without compromise to their personal faith stances.”

and

“National guidance states that the appropriate place for organised Acts of Worship in the non-denominational sector is within the informal curriculum out with the formal activity of a school.”

and

“An approach seeking to convert an audience to one faith or another is not appropriate in the non-denominational sector”

johndoh
    Free Member

I do think it was a bit of an over-reaction. My two attend a school where they push belief a bit and regularly do things at the local church.

As an atheist myself I don’t believe any of it (naturally) but I think it is quite reasonable for schools to include and involve children in the Christian Belief. My two choose to believe at the moment but have also asked both me and my wife if we believe – and we give honest answers (my wife doesn’t know/wants to believe, I chose not to believe).

I would be perfectly happy if either of my children grew up and still believed, let them make their own mind up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 361 total)

The topic ‘Right to be peeved? Kids nativity content’ is closed to new replies.