Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Right STWers, what BB, Phil wood, Hope or King?
  • Vortexracing

Need to change the BB on my Ventana. i'm looking for something that will last longer than the Shimano ones.

So the question is

Phil woods, looks great, can be serviced, but slightly heavy (220grms) – £85

Hope stainless – £60, or even ceramic – £83 if it offers any more benefit

or Chris King – £100 ish, but need a tool

what have you guys used and what do you recommend?

Ta

Chuck

attractivefish
    Free Member

Phil Wood every time

ononeorange

Phil Wood every time

– does it really last longer then? Just interested on what grounds?

Shackleton

I have a steel Hope one. As far as I am aware it is serviceable (as in replace bearings) and has so far out lasted Shimano and Aerozine/SKF Superstar offerings by quite some time and is still spinning as good as new. I nearly choked at the price initially but I think now it is money well spent.

z1ppy

Personnaly I'm wondering about servicing (greasing in situ) rather than replacing the bearings… so the CK is an option, but no-one seems to be talking about the Pace RC80 BB which also has a servicing tool…

I'd prefer to service rather than just replace the bearing, as those PW/Hope are so damed expensive to start with compared to a STD shimano, and the replacement bearing will be no cheaper.

woody2000

I've got 2 of the RC80s and the tool (for about the same price as a CK BB!) – great bit of kit, really easy to regrease etc. Best bang for buck BB IMO

eviljoe
    Free Member

I know this has been covered before, but what size do I need for replacement bearings, and where do I find them?

Cheers 🙂

GW
    Free Member

My Shimano LX (I think, the cheap one anyway) seems to have outlasted most folk I know's SS & Hope BBs.
    I think the problem with HTII BBs short lifespan is most likely to be from folk over tightening the pre-load end cap on the cranks.

Vortexracing

Pace RC80 BB

forgot about the pace one, that seems a good alternative as well.

toons
    Free Member

I've got the CK & tool, fitted Feb 09, still running ok.

Quite satisfying seeing the old dirty grease coming out and then turning clear.

Vortexracing

I'm assuming the pace is just another version of the CK, ie uses the same principle.

How often do you guys re-grease the pace or CK?

br
    Free Member

Both Hope's for me, go ceramic if you've the cash – neither has need new bearings (SS 2 years, ceramic +1 year).

sam42
    Free Member

Been running the stainless hope for a while, no complaints, outlasted the two shimano units i had before that and half the price of a phil wood or chris king…. Saying that i quite fancy the phil wood one or even a pace, the thing with the regreasing scenario on the pace and the chris king is you have to whip the cranks off to do the honours don't you? is that not a faff? still, it'd be less effort than fitting yet another shimano one 😆

z1ppy

is that not a faff?

Faff, no… that's why I love HT II, so fricken easy to rip off easily and without any issue in minutes. It's not like you going to re-grease it every ride/week are you?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hope for me – the SS one is fine 🙂

toppers3933
    Free Member

i have a ck and fitted it no problems with a shimano tool. 1yr on and still going strong.

spock
    Free Member

Why not replace the bearings in the shimano one , £4.50 for two bearings of ebay, pack them with grease and put them in, you just need to modify the top hat( sand of lip that clips into back on bearing so you can fit standard 6805 bearings in (1mm wider). If your'e bothered about the 2mm of axle loss just take out a spacer. Spin very smooth & free, mine is still grit free and smooth after a month or so. The seal on the replacement bearings are alot better than the ones shimano put in(they just sit on top of the bearing, replacement one fits under & inside the cartridge if you know what i mean)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Right STWers, what BB, Phil wood, Hope or King?’ is closed to new replies.