Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Right really sorry but please help me with my what 29er issue itsdriving me mad!
  • JRTG
    Free Member

Again I know this is done to Death but I am losing my mind trying to find somthing right. I have a good bit of cash to spend (up to £750 for the right frame) but just can’t find anything that fits the bill. I need a frame that can be both geared and SS, in large and must be light! I thought i’d found one but it fell through. I have looked at:

– second hand ti frames (only 1 selling and it just doesn’t do it for me)
    – salsa el mariachi – to heavy at 5.8 lbs
    – Niner SIR – a lot of dosh!(£799 cheapest)
    – Pace RC129 – not available yet

Have I missed something?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just wait for the new scandal and save yourself £400.

ton

singular…………why spend more.

JRTG
    Free Member

new scandall is an option but the wait is a unknown quantity.

Swift is also 5.8lbs

this bike will replace my Trek 69er which with carbon forks is super light and fast.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Tomac Flints on order. Should be here at the end of the month. Looking forward to getting it. Sounds like it would fit the bill

JRTG
    Free Member

hmm, that Yeti is interesting.

Saw the tomac before but again out of stock. I know it’s only a few weeks but i’m after a bike now! again that selma is nice but i think they only have a 16″

ton

mate, no disrespect but a swift is mebee a lb heavier that some of the frames you mentioned.
    most people shit a lb in a day……………a frame a lb heavier is not a hinderance

convert

I got a tatty 2nd hand sir9 cheapish from someone here and sprayed it up myself. Looks nice now and whilst it does ride well I’m not sure it is worth its new price premium.

JRTG
    Free Member

ton, thanks I know they are an ace bike (there is one in my front room now) and ride well however it’s 2.3lbs heavier than a ti frame, a tomac and the niner is just nicer.

JRTG
    Free Member

convert, my thoughts exactly!

ton

2.3lbs…………… 🙄 😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

this place might have more sizes in stock? (uness you know of a national shortage?)

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/catalog/details?shop_param=

JRTG
    Free Member

HungryM – i checked them out this morning for the Selma, they show full stock for all sizes of frames going back to 2008 ones. makes me think the website is out of date!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Soul cycles dillinger.

Andy

Shameless plug; I have an XL (20.5″ seat tube) Lynskey ridgeline SL bought in the private sale for £900 that am about to return to CRC if anyone wants it for what it cost me? Too large for me sadly 🙁

Not yet registered with Lynskey for warranty, so as good as new. PM in profile.

Clink

Soul cycles dillinger

Nice idea – but OP’s not going to get hold of one quickly..

JRTG
    Free Member

rorschach that looks interesting thank you, ill check them out.

Ton, I know, I am a self confessed bike weight fool….. always have been!

JRTG
    Free Member

Andy, shame that is the one frame i would love more than others, since i Just bought your swift i know it would be to big for me too 🙁

Andy

Large Swift is perfect for me too. This is just half an inch too long in seat and top tube 🙁 Shame as its beautiful!

Picto
    Free Member

+1 convert. Bought a used sir9 off the forum (many thanks clink). Really like the ride, but the new price is prohibitive.

Taz bought a Selma from Activesport in the last few months so they may have them in stock. Was a lengthy wait for delivery though.

JRTG
    Free Member

Picto, thanks for the info, i’ll ring them tomorrow.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Selma is ss specific innit?

JRTG
    Free Member

rorschach, kind of, it has replaceable drop outs and if it doesn’t come with a geared one, it’s the same as the normal salsa ones. no cable mounts however so that would put me off.

PePPeR

I’ve gone with the Chumba HX2 option, Simon at progressive cycles has done me a deal with a Hope tapered headset included in the deal.

It’s different, which I like, I don’t want to be riding the same as everyone else.

I just hope I haven’t made an expensive mistake.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I looked at the selma when they first came out…had first shout on the demo/test one.Few things put me off though-bit too heavy for the money,tight tyre clearance out back and pretty long chainstays.Quite fancy a selma Ti though!I think theres going to be an all alloy replacement (with tapered headtube and alternator dropouts) as the original one has been dropped now….my next bike depends on which one comes out first!!

JRTG
    Free Member

Rorschach, yep I agree about the old selma and the Ti one is proper nice. I’d love to see the new ali one. They also do the mamista ali one with a bb30, I think there is somthing you can buy that turns a bb30 into a eccentric bb? hmm off to hunt the internet…

JRTG
    Free Member

Bingo (although again no frames in stock gah, it’s like a nightmare..):

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m reading between the lines a bit with the selma replacement being the new marmasia with alternators but I mentioned it on the salsa blog and it was’nt denied!!!
    Theres still a bit of life left in my ss scandal yet!!

tazzymtb

activesport are crap!

the selma is an ace bike though. I wouldn’t bother with the gear adaptor though as it’s fast as fast thing with one gear and super comfy. My scandal 29ers were no where near as good for long hard rides and they are a lovely frame, but the selma just has bit of extra “zing”

tyre clearance is a wee bit tight with big nobbly rubber but 2.25 ralphs fit lovely.

long chainstays, on paper maybe but it corners just as well in the tight stuff as the proto scandal which has a very short bottom.

the new morewood is meant to be ace!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Morewood Kwela 29 would be my choice.

Clink

I need a frame that can be both geared and SS

JRTG
    Free Member

Tazzy, thanks the info! I love bikes that have somthing special about them. My 69er is one of them, was cr*p with the Maverick forks, but as soon as I ditched them and stuck on a niner carbon, it turned into a dream to ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

BTW if anyone can answer exactly this question for a drop-bar 29er please let me know!

tazzymtb

singular gryphon surely?

that Sam chappy makes luuurvely bikes

olie
    Free Member

If you’re thinking of selling on the Trek 69er would you let me know, assuming its a medium of course.

email in profile

JRTG
    Free Member

olie, nope tis a large 19.5″, will take a lot to prize it out my hands, hopefully a nice new fancy 29er will and then i’ll regret it for ever!

Cynic-al, I do have a comple drop bar set up for sale if you want it? Cable Brakes, levers, salsa woodchippers, salsa bar tape, dia tech friction shifters (all numbers of gears.

PePPeR

Clink the Chumba HX2 can run geared or singlespeed, it has a rear mech hanger and an eccentric bottom bracket.

http://progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/chumba_hx2/#nogo

Clink

Clink the Chumba HX2 can run geared or singlespeed, it has a rear mech hanger and an eccentric bottom bracket

I know , I was referring to the Morewood.

Any pics of your Chumba built?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Right really sorry but please help me with my what 29er issue itsdriving me mad!’ is closed to new replies.