Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Right or Privilege to live in the UK?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

it teaches you life skills, gives you confidence in yourself and creates a sense or worth

Apparently, despite almost every single person under the age of 18 currently rioting and looting, there are a small minority of parents who have somehow managed to raise young people who have life skills and confidence in themselves with a sense of worth. I know it’s only a few but it’s possible!

</sarcasm>

Sorry but all this call for National service, it’s a few hundred youths per city, there is an element of needing to get a grip. Believe it or not, most young people still turn out alright these days.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CHB – Member

Living in this country is a privilege.

Actually its a right 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

really? why? what would a spell in the Army teach me exactly?

Apart from the old dicipline thing. You’ll learn that the world isn’t all about you, and everything you do in life has consequences – good or bad.
    But also you could become
    A HGV driver, plumber, electrician, gas fitter, mechanic looking after everything from lawn mowers to jump jets, constuction engineer, commercial diver, nurse, chef, welder, photographer, press worker…just about anything with top quality training. And for those with no hope they’ll even learn you up good in IT.

It’s also very good for self confidence

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Well perhaps I’m getting a little bit bored of Captain Mannering et al thinking national service is a good thing.

CHB – and there’s not massive inequality here?

MSP

Well if discipline is doing what your told to by the posh kid who went to sandhurst, I can see why some would think that’s important with the current Government.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d say that the army might also be a good way to homogenise and crush independent thought…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

On the flip side of the ‘respect’ argument, you get countless suicides, self-harm (we had two blokes in our regiment shoot each other in the knee to get out of national service, plenty of broken limbs ‘I fell down the stairs’), the alcohol abuse, kids sent to the brig for the crime of being lovesick etc. etc.

Spend the money on getting kids educated and in jobs. No need to institutionalise them.

oldgit
    Free Member

Not that I’m for it though, I think it’s career you really need to be in by choice.

You don’t get told what to do by Toffs that’s a myth, you’ll hardly meet any. You get told what to do by lower ranks.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Oldgit – you can learn most of those trades at college you don’t need to dress up in some bullshit uniform and pledge allegiance to the the head of the UK branch of the Germanic family known as Saxe Coburg Gotha.

philconsequence
    Free Member

not trying to be awkward of nuffink but i think its possible to learn respect, discipline and “that the world isn’t all about you, and everything you do in life has consequences – good or bad.” without joining the army. in fact… i learnt all that without ever having held a weapon or been in a fight 🙂

if kids need the army to teach them those things mentioned above then maybe the parents didnt do their job properly?

EDIT – i lied.. i have held weapons, but only cos i’ve confiscated them from patients, never held one with the intent of training to use, or planning to use in defence or anger.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I actually quite fancy the idea of killing someone… how old is too old to get into the army?

j_me
    Free Member

To be born here, A Privilege ? Maybe. A huge piece of good fortune we should be thankful for? Definately.

oldgit
    Free Member

On the flip side of the ‘respect’ argument, you get countless suicides, self-harm (we had two blokes in our regiment shoot each other in the knee to get out of national service, plenty of broken limbs ‘I fell down the stairs’), the alcohol abuse, kids sent to the brig for the crime of being lovesick etc. etc

This can’t be denied. I do however find it very strange these people ever enter. You’ll actually get people ready to join, then don’t when they find out they’ll need a haircut and will have to remove their facial peircings. Others will literally crack up spending a night out in the woods without their gadgets and hair products.

The independent thought thing is also a myth, or is now. Yes you follow orders, but sometimes it takes the thoughts and actions of one man to save the lives of many. It’s one of the very first things you’re taught to use.

Edit; You will often feel totally **** and possibly the the most useless person on the planet when starting your basic training. Even being prepared for it doesn’t help much. But it has always been said that this is part of the training, being tested (it can feel like abuse)when you could just leave. Self control is easy for some. others will flyu off the handle if just yelled at, best this is found out before you get a weapon.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m talking about national service. You have no choice. Join or go to jail.

dave360

Rather than military service, what is the view of an overseas aid corps? 6 months in africa building water purification and sewage plants might give the disaffected yute a new perspective on living in the UK. Ironically, this sort of work is only carried right now out by private schoolkids who’s parents can afford 5k for a gap year…

j_me
    Free Member

Many countries that have national service offer a civil service alternative to the military

CHB

TJ being born in northern europe or even lage areas of the USA immediately puts you in the world top rankings of opportunity. Once you are British you have rights, however we are VERY priviliged to have those rights.
    Ratswithwings: of course there is inequality here. Having the right parents or even a good school can and will make a massives difference to your life chances, but those chances are there for everyone to a fair degree and it is perfectly possible to go prom council estate to high school teacher for any kid who applies themselves. Trouble is kids need direction and if they dont get it from the parents then there are limits to what a school can do.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

To be fair, most of the kids in Tottenham probably have more consumer goods than most of us now, so I’m not sure we can still class them as underprivileged now 😀

Bagstard
    Free Member

philconsequence, it may be possible to learn respect etc, but in our present climate of gang culture it is increasingly unlikely. I left school twenty years ago, during my time there no teacher was ever beaten up, but by all accounts now it is a common occurrence. Let them try to get away with that in the army! I’m not saying national service is the way forward, but there is no respect or sense of accountablility.

MSP

I left school twenty years ago, during my time there no teacher was ever beaten up, but by all accounts now it is a common occurrence

Only if you read the Daily mail

GaryLake
    Free Member

but in our present climate of gang culture

Which is actually limited to very small pockets of society.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bagstard – do you realise most crime is much lower now than it was then?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Maybe I am daily wailing a bit, but I see changes with my own eyes. My gym has recently slashed it’s prices in half, it was already cheap. The younger guys coming in now (most of them anyway)just don’t have any manners, constantly flout most of the rules and are a general pain in the neck. The idea of training hard and eating well to get a good physique doesn’t interest most of them, it is steroids from day one.

MSP

The younger guys coming in now (most of them anyway)just don’t have any manners, constantly flout most of the rules and are a general pain in the neck.

Haha, thats called getting older, FFS thats been happening since time in memoriam.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I must have been old from a young age then, i’m always polite. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

i gets what you means bagstad 🙂 and kudos for admitting an element of daily wailing 😆

I think being the completely non-fighty person i am and was raised to be, i’m reluctant to entertain the thought that forcing kids into a military type system will be a positive. I can see how it would work for some kids, but considering that a lot of parents are very quick to blame schools, teachers, government and so on for the failings of their children, knowing that their kids are meant to be learning how to be a well rounded, respectful and constructive citizen from the army is just another way of allowing parents to shun their responsibilities.

Bagstard
    Free Member

There have always been rough kids, always will be, but they seem to be fearless these days. Not afraid of teachers, not afraid of the law. Unfortunately I don’t know what the solution is.

nerd
    Free Member

National service was only in force for 13 years. It’s an aberration in the history of Britain and only a very small perecentage of the current population went through it.
    I’m also fed up of these Captain Mainwairing types and people holding up the armed forces to be some exemplary system full of outstanding people. They’re just ordinary people doing a job like anyone else.

lazybike
    Free Member

Agree with you Bagstard, there have always been rough kids and gangs, Teddy boys, mods and rockers, skinheads etc…there are no solutions, its just the way things are….

Bagstard
    Free Member

True, but I do think it is getting worse. Pretty sure the Krays would not have lasted long in todays London.

MSP

There have always been rough kids, always will be, but they seem to be fearless these days. Not afraid of teachers, not afraid of the law. Unfortunately I don’t know what the solution is.

mods and rockers fought running battles on the beeches in the 60’s, coffee shop gangs fought in the streets in the 50’s(bike chains were a favourite weapon). Youth gangs terrorised the streets of Manchester at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Your harking back to a false utopia that has never existed in anything but fiction and the minds of politicians trying to deceive you.

When you got together with your mates as a teenager, you probably didn’t realise how noisy you were, that a group of teenagers can be worrying to others. Unfortunately it is your lack of realisation that things are in reality much the same as they always were that is now widening the divide between adults and youths.

lazybike
    Free Member

Organised crime is a bit different to a gang of teenagers giving it large..

joao3v16
    Free Member

Wouldn’t National Service teach them self respect, discipline, respect for others…etc.?

Yes.

All those good things that their PARENTS are supposed to be teaching them.

Many of the problems with the current genereation are the fault of the previous.

On the other hand, some people are just idiots.

Most of the rioters are too stupid not to pi$$ on their own doorstep.

Morons.

Problem: “Disenfranchised Youth”

Response: Burn stuff & nick things

Result: “Disenfranchised Youth” (still), but now the whole country knows your a d1ck.

Congratulations. Really well done.

MSP

Actually I think the problem of the disenfranchised youth will be addressed more after this week that it was being before.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Apparently they burnt down cash converter in Salford last night, bit of an own goal… 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

not readt the thread but my personal view is there is some merit in removing folk from their environment an dpeer sin order to show them the big picture
    I would often take teenagers to the lakes [ only 50 miles away[ who had never seen countryside or been for a walk, abseiled etc. They was a great change in many as a result of this and activities.
    Having worked with young people many poor people suffer from poverty of aspiration and can see nothing beyond their own little estate. To widen their horizons would do some good IMHO
    I dont think the army is the way to do this.
    Social projects? repair dry stone walls, looking after old folk,litter picking, repairing schools? no real idea what tbh.
    In principle I dont think it is that bad an idea but I would not be comfortable compelling folk to do this tbh.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hang on, aren’t ex servicemen diporportionately reprisented in prisons and the homeless?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

aren’t ex servicemen diporportionately reprisented in prisons and the homeless

If that’s true… what better way to resolve the statistical anomaly than National Service?

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Right or Privilege to live in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.