Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Right, I need a waterproof jacket, help me out will ya?!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m thinking of an Endura Convert II because it looks nice, seems well made and is good value…

BUT

Is it actually worth lashing out on something like (A Pace) E-Vent? Is E-Vent noticeably more breathable (I do sweat a bit) then cheaper fabrics, for instance? Does it rip easily? (Clumsy git, me)
    I’m probably not going to use it all that much but I’m doing some rides in the Lakes/Wales/Alps in the next few months so it might be worth its weight in gold if the weather turns bad.

I’m also looking at a Montane E-Vent, are they any good? Waterproof?

Anything else I should consider?

Ta muchly!
    🙂

mangoridebike

Howies made a nice blue one a while ago, they may have some left 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sod off!
    That’s only a windproof, as prooved last ‘summer’….
    🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

I’ve got a Gill ProSpeed, which is eVent. I’m really impressed with it, it’s the first cycling jacket I’ve had that I can actually cycle. i.e. doesn;t turn into a mobile sauna within minutes. Well put together too.

Looks like Wiggle have rebranded it

jfeb
    Free Member

eVent is worth is IMO. I also have the Gill Pro Speed that IHN mentioned. Noticeably better breathing than cheaper waterproof jackets I have had and my Gore-Tex XCR shell (skiing but I use it for general purpose)

Singletrack gave the Altura Attack Extreme jacket a “Recommendation” in the last issue and claimed it was the best bike jacket on the market. On sale here (still nearly £100 though): http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6090 Meant to be similar to eVent but slightly less soft but more robust. This is where my money would be going if I were in the market for a jacket now.

kona_uk
    Free Member

I have a montane superfly, superb jacket 🙂

Drac

Howies made a nice blue one a while ago, they may have some left [;)]

Almost the very word I was going to use.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IHN, yes I’d looked at those. Does it have pockets? (Front ones)

Jfeb, thanks for the link 🙂

What about a Race Face Aquanot, anybody?

jfeb
    Free Member

Does it have pockets? – No pockets, pit zips or features of any sort on the Gill/Wiggle eVent jacket. Could be considered a bonus (pockets will only reduce breatheability)

IHN

Nope, no pockets. I’ve never missed them though, I’ve got pockets on my shorts and a bag on my back.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Going back to my Howies jacket, I’ve used and abused that thing almost constantly since I bought it and apart from a bit of peeling on the rear logo, it’s still perfect. It just gets slung in the washing machine when it’s more brown than blue and that’s it. Superb.
    I’ve actually got a Howies 56kph too, which is waterproof, but far too nice to use/destroy on a bike…..Although they are on sale now…. Might get another one…. Hmmmmm
    🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I have:

Rab Drillium (eVent)
    Rab Fusion (eVent/softshell)
    Altura Reflex (React)
    Montane Suprefly (eVent)
    Endura Stealth (waterroof softshell)

All are ace (haven’t used the fusion yet) but the Montane is the niceset.

Had a Raceface but it was awful.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nope, no pockets. I’ve never missed them though, I’ve got pockets on my shorts and a bag on my back.

Yes, very true. What’s the sizing like?

cinnamon_girl

Morning Mr Poddy. Avoid Paclite, although brilliant in the rain it is not durable and have managed to tear mine several times after crashing.

XCR stuff seems more durable though. I’d go minimalist, forget pockets and gizmos.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What size are you after- few deals about on restricted sizes..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That Montane Superfly looks luvverly, but at £250 it bloody well should be!
    Too much for me, I’m afraid….
    🙁

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rock – I’ll probably be a large….. It’s rare I get those good deals.

Hi Elaine, you back riding yet?

IHN

It’s a slim cut, but not excessively. I’ve got a large (I think, can check), fits me perfectly.

IHN

If you fancy a ride in the FoD on Saturday you can try it on.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The Climbers Shop have a few Montane jackets at good prices- at least one large in one of the models..

Also check theoutdoorshop

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

IHN – I will get down your way sometime, I promise, but for the next 2 months I’m now pretty much booked up. I’ve only got 2 free weekends until middle of April now, FFS!
    Thanks for the offer though!
    🙂

mangoridebike

My RaceFace Aquanot is very good at being waterproof but its quite heavy and can get quite warm too, although it does have massive pitzips which help to keep you cool. The fabric is pretty heavy duty too.

I use it as a winter jacket but for any other season its just too much. However its a few years old so the newer versions could be different

molgrips
    Free Member

eVent is the business. It works differently from all the others insofar as it works just as well when it’s warm and damp, unlike Goretex etc. So ideal for the UK 🙂

I’m going to get a Montane Stormrider at the earliest opportunity.

cinnamon_girl

Pete – not riding yet, waiting for a cortizone injection or amputation!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Singletrack gave the Altura Attack Extreme jacket a “Recommendation” in the last issue

I happen to have the mag with me, and just read it. That’s one of the most glowing reviews I’ve ever seen.

I reckon I’ll see how it goes on the E-vent jacket I’m watching on Ebay that ends in a few days, and if not I’ll get one of those.

I like the orange colour, too!
    😉

xherbivorex
    Free Member

peter, i got an altura attack extreme last week from this place:

discount cycles direct

cheapest i could find at just under 90 quid. ordered one lunchtime, arrived the following morning. great.
    they only have small or large left now though…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, thanks for the link, Herbi
    🙂

kona_uk
    Free Member

Got my superfly from here 2 years ago;

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/search.aspx?query=superfly

whytetrash

Bit late but another vote for the Gill E-Vent Pro speed…its ace, out last night in foul very heavy sleety rain riding home slowly due to a split tyre wall…nice eh?… got in like a drowned rat but noticed my base layer was bone dry apart from a bit around my neck.

Also when it arrived (mid summer) I tried it on in my office and felt like it breathed like a cotton shirt, not clammy at all in a warm environment.

Pockets not really an issue off road as Camelback takes the strain, though Napoleon sp? pocket would be ace for iPod whilst running

Tough too…I crash a bit and it’s fine!

Del

i have the gill too. if i was buying again i’d look at the pace eVent or the montane stormrider ( which looks ace ), but only because i don’t like the style of the dhb replacement for the gill.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Do not buy from Outdoormania- bad to deal with, and they have a reputation for rubbish service.

smurf
    Free Member

Has anyone had the Altura Attack jacket for more than a few weeks? One guy on bikeradar submitted a review that said that the internal taping fell apart after a year, leading to a loss of waterproofing and issues with the pockets.

Anyone got any long term views?

Also, can any existing owners tell me how slim the jacket is cut. I like gore clothing as it fits me very well (I’m about 6 foot and have a 38 inch chest)

smurf

sodafarls
    Free Member

I have used an Altura Attack for a year or so now. I’m pretty happy with it, it’s waterproof, breathable enough etc. I did give it a bit of a nasty tear last summer but probably any jacket would have ripped in that situation. Got it repaired for £15. Sizing wise its a bit wide in the body for my taste (size large), but other than that it does the job well.

AlasdairMc

I’ve got a Rab Drillium, an Altura Nevis, an Endura Crosstrack and a Rab Baltoro Lite soft shell.

The Altura is pish, the zip has fallen apart and it managed 7 minutes of rain before letting in water the first time I used it (it came from an MBR subscription).

The Drillium is excellent, it’s eVent and the fabric hasn’t failed on me yet. You will get wet through water pouring down your neck if it’s not completely zipped up and up the sleeves, but it’s been great for me.

The Endura is a bit heavy for normal riding but it remained mostly waterproof in some of the heaviest rain I’d experienced in the Highlands.

The softshell has never got fully soaked yet, I use it as my winter riding jacket and it’s perfect for that.

kona_uk
    Free Member

Do not buy from Outdoormania- bad to deal with, and they have a reputation for rubbish service.

I have only bought the montane jacket from them, but they were helpful. 🙂

kona_uk
    Free Member

I have a lot of the montane gear and its very good. The Montane Stormrider jacket is next on my list… anyone already use one ?

Vortexracing

I got an Altura Attck (the one before the attack extreme) must admit it seems great. It’s not ahd a great deal of use yet but seems well made and packs up pretty small.

Merlin have a couple left at £70 i think.

Might be worth a phone call.

The only come in black BTW

Sanny
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Haglofs LIM Ultimate for almost two years. A great jacket but the Paclite is a little bit fragile. That said, it is designed as a super lightweight jacket so no complaints there! It has served me extrememly well, is a very simple cut with a terrific hood and Napoleon pocket for a phone or energy bar. It’s light weight means i can keep it in my bag at all times.

I just shelled out for a Haglofs Spitz. It’s a proper full on climbing jacket but I wanted something with a proper hood that I could use not just for biking.

The Rab Drillium looks like a good option as does the Rab Alpine Latok. Event, very light with a very well designed hood. In my experience, Rab make kit that works well.

I have a Pace Event and the arms are simply cut too short on what is otherwise an ok jacket.

Definitely try before you buy as I looked at the Montane Superfly but the arms of the medium were too short and the large fitted like a totty bag!

iainc

xherbivorex – you just led me to spend £80 -(…

cheers for the link – I had been looking at these and didn’t want to pay over £100.

orange jacket in Glasgow though…………

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Don’t worry iainc, i’m a Weegie and both the Montane and Rab waterproofs I own are orange..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Right, I need a waterproof jacket, help me out will ya?!’ is closed to new replies.