Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Right handed people. When opening a jar…do you…
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

…hold the jar or lid with your dominant right hand?
    Only asking, as I got called weird today for holding the jar with my right hand and twisting the lid with my left. I’ve never even thought about it before but everyone thought it was rather strange and I was the only one who did it this way. Left handed people feel to let me know how you do it?
    Sorry for the ridiculous thread but I need to prove I’m not the only weirdo on the planet.

chewkw
    Free Member

Left hold jar then right twist … you are weird.

Simon

I’m right handed. I hold the jar with my right hand and twist the cap with my left.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Left holds jar then right twists lid…you are weird.

jimmy

Left holds jar then right twists lid…you are weird.

Junkyard
    Free Member

hold with left twist with right and right handed

My left hand grip is stronger though from playing guitar i think but i think i have always done this

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Right handed, hold jar in right hand and lid in left. You are ok, it’s them.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Freak….

scuzz
    Free Member

Right handed, hold lid with left, twist entire jar with right

paladin

Right handed….Left holds lid, right twists jar 😛

rascal
    Free Member

You’re not weird.
    I’m right handed – hold with right, turn with left. The best way 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I get the butler to do it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I break jar.

I jarbreaker.

paladin

Snap!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I weaken it then give it to a passing girl to open.

But it is them thats weird

aP
    Free Member

I try both hands, then my thumbs hurt too much and I can’t hold the jar any more, so I hand it to Herself and she opens it easily.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The reality is its irrelevant. Both hands are doing equal twisting according to Newtons third law.

tang
    Free Member

I give them to my wife to open. She’s hard, my arms resemble chris froomes.

Markie
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter – as long as you’re not left handed, it’s all good.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Left handed. Hold jar with right – twist lid with left. Any of this jar twisting nonsense is just the act of a deviant.

brakes
    Free Member

I use my but-tocks.

amplebrew

I’m right handed and would also hold a jar with my right and twist with my left.

somafunk

Jar in right hand, hold lid with left – twist both.

samuri
    Free Member

Hold jar with right, lid with left.

Sometimes, if I’m impressing the ladies, I’ll do it the other way round.

teethgrinder

It’s ‘righty tighty, lefty loosey’ for a reason. Hold in right hand, twist with left. Same as jar lids.

paladin

teethgrinder – Member
    It’s ‘righty tighty, lefty loosey’ for a reason. Hold in right hand, twist with left. Same as jar lids

Righty tighty, lefty loosey has got nothin to do with which hand you’re using…… Either hand can twist in either direction.

CountZero

Right-handed, hold jar in left, turn lid to right with right hand. Anything else is just wrong. And weird. 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hold jar and twiddle lid with fingers of same hand. You’re all weird!

samuri
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with twisting. It’s how much grip each hand has. In theory your stronger hand should be grabbing the lid because it has more grip.

dazzlingboy

Another right jar, left lid here.

paladin

Until you can decide whether you should :

A. Screw the lid off the jar

Or

B. Screw the jar off the lid

.. You’re screwed

Jar in right, lid in left – however, both my arms/hands/wrists are equal in strength (or were till I broked myself)

richpips
    Free Member

Left hand on lid, right on jar, make noises then pass to youngest child after saying “no sorry can’t do it”

NB sometimes requires boiling water which somewhat takes away the magician thing.

NNB Child doesn’t require boiling water.

NNNB Child will need boiling water after for making tea.

stu170
    Free Member

Quite a while ago when very bored at work I thought about this. As im right handed and hold jar left hand lid right. But I hold a spade left at top right at bottom like a lefty and play pool/snooker lefty way.
    My experiment involved how you cross your arms. I folded mine with left hand under right bicep and right hand on top of left bicep with left arm showing…..I thought there may be a connection to which is your dominant hand. Turns oit there isnt…..
    But. Now fold your arms the other way round as in the other arm on top. Weird eh

mikedoubleu
    Free Member

You’re not weird. Right-handed for everything here. Hold jar in right, twist lid with left.

aracer
    Free Member

I hold the jar in my right hand. Mind you, at one point I used to drink pints left handed (not so more nowadays, I am now ambidextrous at drinking pints) and I still tend to pick up heavy pans etc. left handed.

Right handed. Jar in right hand, lid in left. That’s the 29er way of doing it.
    Jar in left and lid in right might have been more popular at one time, but it will soon become obsolete and unsupported by jam manufacturers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m going on dragons den with an idea for a novelty jar company that will produce them with a left handed thread. When they tell me there’s no market and no one cares, I’ll show them this thread and make my millions.

Cougar

It’s nothing to do with your handed-ness; jars are handed.

Think about which muscles you’re using with the jar in one hand, then the other. With the jar in your left hand you’re pushing with weaker muscles, in your right you’re pulling with much stronger ones(*).

As a left-hander, it’s natural for me to pick up stuff with my left hand and therefore open jars “incorrectly”; it was only a couple of years ago that I worked this out.

(* – quiet at the back)

paladin

Lid in the left, jar in the right – you’re pushing in with BOTH hands.

Jar in the left, lid in the right – you’re pushing out with BOTH hands.

And you exert almost the same force with both hands, maybe a fraction more with the hand which moves than the hand which stays stationary.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Right handed people. When opening a jar…do you…’ is closed to new replies.