Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Right, as this is a new forum, will a plane take off if it is on a conveyor belt
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Not seen this for a while and never on this NEW forum…

Sorry by the way…

miketually
    Free Member

Yes, it will.

The End

IHN

Yes. I mean no. Yes. No.

Yes. Absolutely. Yes. Actually, No. Yes, No.

Yes, but the wheels will go round faster or summink.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No no no no no no no….

Not this. Not again. No. Please….

jonb
    Free Member

Depends on how you word the question.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

how powerful is the plane?

bigsi
    Free Member

Is it an African plane or a European one 😐

bruneep

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

This has been on the tv programme “Myth Busters” They fixed a massive piece of papaer to the back of a car, with a remote control plane on it. The car set off and got some speed up and the plane took off.

Thread closed!!!!!!!!!!! I bet its not!!!!!!!!! 😳 🙄 😯 🙂

Smee
    Free Member

Is it sharp?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

glenh
    Free Member

ChrisHeath
    ski
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

What about a helicoptor on a turntable?

Oggles
    Free Member

WELL?

Edit: beaten by WCA!

skidartist
    Free Member

If its on a conveyer belt then it must still be in the factory, so its not finished yet. It will fly, but not yet. Patience is whats required

scraprider
    Free Member

jet enngine or turbo prop ??????

devs
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’ve never heard this argument before! Which way is the conveyor going. Is the aircraft powered or not?
    Scenario 1. ac not powered but conveyor moving it quickly enough through the air to create lift then it will take off, then stall.

Scenario 2 ac moving under its own power at the same speed that the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. No air over wings, no lift, no take off.

I live next to 2 airfields and know lots of aerospace engineers so i obviously know what I’m on about. If you disagree with me you will feel my rock and power washer.

zokes
    Free Member

Either you’re a poor troll Devs, or…….

Ewan
    Free Member

Devs – you’ve got to assume the brakes are off and they are frictionless… actually, i’m not even going to go there.

mboy
    Free Member

zokes – Member

Either you’re a poor troll Devs, or…….

zokes, how did you work that one out, he’s the first person on this thread to speak any real sense (though in fairness, he could have worded what he said a bit better).

AIR SPEED over the planes wings is ALL THAT MATTERS, the wheels on a plane are totally unconnected to the planes ability to get airborne. Conveyor belt moving at 200mph in a normal atmospheric environment (ie. not a vacuum) will result in enough air speed over the wings of most planes to make them take off, though if the engines aren’t running, it will stall and hit the ground.

Regarding helicopter on a turntable. Well, even at 78rpm it’s not likely. I’d much rather be the pilot in the plane on the conveyor belt than the poor dizzy bastard in the helicopter! 😉

robdob
    Free Member

How about a pogo stick on a bouncy castle?

funkynick

devs… it’s a conveyor that matches the plane speed in the opposite direction, so your scenario 2. Unfortunately you are wrong in that you think it won’t take off though.. 😀

mboy… so certain again huh? 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Good grief

ChrisHeath

The world is flat! Flat I tell thee!

Conor
    Free Member

There are some thick **** in this world.

robdob
    Free Member

It’s just like driving your car and the steering wheel coming off. We all know this thread is going to be painful, but we’re in it and we’re just going to have to wait for the sickening crunch. 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Some people don’t seem to have noticed my first reply. So, I’ll repeat it:

THE END

devs
    Free Member

devs… it’s a conveyor that matches the plane speed in the opposite direction, so your scenario 2. Unfortunately you are wrong in that you think it won’t take off though.. [:D]

It won’t. The ac is standing still with regards to the air. It has no airspeed. There is no air [1] going over the wings to provide any lift so it cannot take off.

[1] Except for maybe some prop wash but this alone is not enough to make a plane take off otherwise they would be capable of vertical take off from a standing start.

miketually
    Free Member

It takes off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE END!!!

willard
    funkynick

miketually.. it’s because they ‘know’ better than everyone else of course… 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Or because they live near an airfield and so know lots of pilots?

devs
    Free Member

Having read up on this now. If the wheels were frictionless i.e. the ac stood still if the conveyer moved backwards then the ac could take off put that is not how the question is worded. Forward speed does not equal conveyor speed in that case. To all the nay sayers take a kite down the park and run with it till it takes off. Then go down the gym and run on a running machine with the kite. When it takes off come back here and post the results.

GrahamS

The wheels don’t really need to be frictionless – that’s just to avoid people saying “Ah.. but if the conveyor belt was going backwards at an infinite speed then the friction alone would be enough to hold back the plane”

In reality, with an actual plane and an actual conveyor belt as long as a runway it would easily take off.

go down the gym and run on a running machine with the kite

“go down the gym and run on a running machine with a kite that has jet engines attached to it”

Fixed that for you. 🙂

funkynick

If the forward speed equaled the conveyor speed, then if the aeroplane is stationary, then so is the conveyor. For the conveyor to have any speed at all, then the aircraft must have forward speed…

If the aircraft has forward speed, then it must be moving through the air…

Now follow that through.

As for the attempted kite analogy, well, unfortunately it’s incorrect.

D- (must try harder) 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Of course not. The wings would hit the uprights on the treadmill.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, so long as:

– the plane is capable of taking off on a normal run way
    – the converyor belt isn’t going so fast that the friction in the landing gear wheel bearings prevents the plane reaching its min speed for take off.

(- the plane doesn’t hit the treadmill uprights as per 5th elefant 😉 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Right, as this is a new forum, will a plane take off if it is on a conveyor belt’ is closed to new replies.