Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Rifle Shooting / Marksmanship
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I always used to be a crack shot when I was younger, I’d like to get back into long range shooting, targets preferably.

any suggestions as to where to start?

Pieface

Google?

MrNutt
    Free Member

nope, I don’t use it, google is not the answer, its a large corporation that runs a search engine fronting a large advertising business and I also object to it’s take on privacy.

sharki
    Free Member

Most towns have a local shooting club, contact http://www.nsra.co.uk/, they may well be able to help…

crikey
    Free Member

nope, I don’t use it, google is not the answer, its a large corporation that runs a search engine fronting a large advertising business and I also object to it’s take on privacy.

Not even for ‘educational’ material?

terrahawk
    Free Member

join the army.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Use Yahoo then.

sharki
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

Yahoo are about as crooked, if you’re looking for a search engine you could try:

http://www.ixquick.com/uk/

or if you must query the googlebeast try here: http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html

both don’t profile you then sell the results to who ever wants it.

hmm, I’m not interested in Air rifle so the nsra’s local suggested club is out 🙁

oh well, I’ll pop in to the local gunshop and ask them.

edit: ah! Devizes! I used to shoot there! I’ll give them a call!

cheers 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Shooting gallieries? Plenty, round here.

Guns? We gots them too!

I woon’t mind getting into shooting, as I’ve done it once or twice before, and find it very therapeutic.

sharki
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the best bet…gunshops might be better than the local supermarket 😉

I used to do rifle range shooting but found it dull and lacking the adrenaline of that game shooting gave me.
    Guess it’s the same as putting me on a road bike………

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What calibre is used in target shooting? Is it .22? And what’s the muzzle velocity of target rifles like? Or the power measurement thingy, whatever it’s called? Is it not muzzle velocity, no?

I ask this, as I’ve only ever fired 6.5mm ‘hunting’ rifles, in Norway. **** me, the recoil could break yer shoulder, if you’re not ready for it! Mind, I spose something that’s meant to penetrate the chest wall and heart of an animal like a Moose would have to be bloody powerful.

MrSmith
    Free Member

“What calibre is used in target shooting? Is it .22? And what’s the muzzle velocity of target rifles like? Or the power measurement thingy, whatever it’s called? Is it not muzzle velocity, no?

my dad uses all sorts. 17rem, 222, 22-250, 243, 25-06, 22-ppc, 6mm-ppc, 308.
    bullet weights 24grain for the 17. 55-80 for the 22’s/.243.
    i think some ranges have a muzzle energy limit? but i know people shoot 7mm so it must be quite high?
    velocity had nothing to do with it. the .17 does 4100fps and the 22-250 nearly as fast but the energy is a lot lower than the bigger calibers.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Grassy knolls? Clock towers? Washington petrol stations? The world’s your oyster!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ta MrSmith- blimey, that’s a bit confuddling!

I once fired an old rifle that had belonged to a Norwegian Resistance fighter. Naively, I asked what the deep notches on the butt were…

Kind of weird, holding something that has been used as an instrument of Death. Really made me think about stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s not confusing .17 – 7mm are allowed.
    the only confusing bit is the mixture of imperial and metric measurement for bore diameter.

firestarter
    Free Member

second the army lol ive done marksman and sniper courses tho i think your a bit TOO nuts 🙂

Farrago
    Free Member

Smallbores (.22) for target shooting don’t really recoil. I’ve been told I’m not allowed to play with the Fullbore rifles (7.62 calibre I think?) though cos the guys don’t want to break me. (I’m only small).

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was “dishonorably discharged” from the army cadets!

to be honest it wasn’t really all down to me, I think a degree of responsibility for your own actions should really be taken, after all its not a particularly clever idea to stand at the business end of a range and attempt a very vocal “full metal jacket bravado” character assassination when the target of said abuse is prone at the working end of said range with a loaded firearm and 100% confident in the knowledge that the other two shots did not miss but actually passed through the same hole. (this was later proved to be the case).

(the rifles were the old 22’s, this was pre SA80)

So I took the heal off his boot, I knew what I was doing I saw the shot and I took it.
    it didn’t break his skin, just clipped the back of his heel. Perhaps it dented his pride.

I think he learnt an important lesson that day, don’t insult someone who is pointing a loaded gun at you,
    he’d got a little too comfortable in his tiny world of screaming obscenities at kids, he needed to adjust his attitude. 😆

I’d have liked to join the Army but alias my dear wife to be would not be particularly keen on it, I don’t think the soldiers life is for me.

redthunder
    Free Member
    big-chief-96
    Free Member

start with an air rifle and get your shot back and then go to some clubs. when your good enough you need to get yourself a bloody high caleber thing and use that.

(itl cost alot y the way)

Stoner
    Free Member

If you want to get back into large calibre rifle shooting Bisley is your best place to start (NRA) or search for full bore rifle clubs.
    http://www.nsc-bisley.co.uk/common/asp/courses/trs.asp?site=NSC

Its been over 10 years since I used to shoot competitively (have a couple of “national” caps for services competitions) and it was superb fun. Even managed to have a go at .34 pistol competition before the Dunblane kneejerk law took that away as a sporting discipline. I shot for many years in the company of lot of excellent people. And the Summer Imperial meeting at Bisley used to be one of the best weeks of the year. When Im older and more useless Ill probably take it up again while my peers spoil a good walk with golf sticks. It is an expensive pastime though – moreso than bikes I think…

Flaperon

MrMutt – with that attitude to firearms and human life you perhaps shouldn’t be trusted with a butter knife, let alone a rifle.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve been told I’m not allowed to play with the Fullbore rifles (7.62 calibre I think?) though cos the guys don’t want to break me. (I’m only small).

I can relate to that. The 6.5mm thing I was using kicked like a mule!

I like the focus aspect of shooting; managing to control your breathing, and getting yer sights all lined up, squeeze…BANG! Like, absolute calm, then the sudden enormous explosion. Really good for concentrating the mind.

Nutt, you are quite possibly criminally insane, and therefore should never be allowed near any weapon.

andywhit
    Free Member

>nope, I don’t use it, google is not the answer, its a large corporation that runs a search engine fronting a large advertising business and I also object to it’s take on privacy.

MrNutt (MrNutt)

Website
    http://www.mrnutt.com/
    Occupation
    Technical Project Manager
    Interests
    fleeting
    Visible Email
    alexDOTnuttATgmailDOTcom

RudeBoy
    Free Member

He’s got you there, Son of Michael Ryan….

Stoner
    Free Member

I can relate to that. The 6.5mm thing I was using kicked like a mule

thats just a bad position. A proper, stable, prone position will contain most recoil. The only time I had a problem with recoil was with a muzzle loaded grapeshot gun, standing shot.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m working on my hypocrisy, I hope to one day be Prime minister 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

Flaperon, I was an angst ridden fifteen year old, That was over twenty years ago. I also like to think I learn a little from every mistake I made, I say a little as I’d probably know as much as google if I’d learn more than that! 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, once I’d got used to it, it was fine, Stoner. S’just that first time, when you really don’t know how much power such a weapon has. I was firing from a seated position, and learned how to hold the rifle. I had a good teacher. After only a few shots, I was hitting the 10cm centre of a 100m target, which I was well pleased with, and the other people at the range seemed to think was not too shabby, for a beginner!

Fired a 12-gauge once. Accidentally pulled both triggers at the same time. Almost ended up on me arse!

Norwegian hunter bloke:

swamp_boy

If you’re in S Wilts there is a club based in Tidworth, I used to be a member till I moved out of the area. Some of those guys were also in Salisbury Vintage Rifle club but I don’t know much about them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I once shot a 44 magnum revolver thing. It was thorougly unpleasant. My Dad described it as being like sitting inside a steel water tank whilst someone hits the outside with a sledgehammer.

zaskar
    Free Member

Is this thread for real or are you some dumb loner about to shoot anyone in sight when you go to school next week?

Pick another sport like cycling not bloody shooting!

F-ing crazy lot here.

MrSmith
    Free Member

what’s wrong with target shooting? to a lot of people riding around the woods going round and round in circles is an odd way to spend a saturday.
    just because you don’t agree with it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

you sound like the ‘dumb loner’ who’s out of touch with reality.
    ‘F-ing crazy’ IMHO.

MrNutt
    Free Member

sure, its got nothing to do with concentration, focus, timing, assessment of conditions, accuracy, technique and talent.

I’m only in it for the psycho rampage element of the discipline.

Speaking as someone who was actually in Hungerford when Michael Ryan decided to flip his lid and go kill crazy, I can safely say that there’s not a bone in my body that would wish that experience upon anyone.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Zaskar; I intensly dislike guns, Had one pointed at me, and there are too many about, in the wrong hands.

As well as being instruments of Death, they are also tools, and pieces of sporting equipment, same as a bike, some skis, scuba diving gear, etc.

Why not try a bit of target shooting sometime, and find out what it’s all about?

And the OP has already admitted to shooting someone. And explained the context and circumstances.

As I actually know the OP, and have met him several times, I’d hardly consider him to be the next Rambo.

Rambling, he often is.

Me, on the other hand; knowing myself the way I do, I would not have any firearm that could be made active, in my home. I have a very short fuse, at times, and don’t trust myself enough. I’d reckon that’s quite a responsible attitude.

We’re all potential killers. It’s about keeping things within a safe, controlled environment, such as a shooting club.

ourmaninthenorth

Used to shoot at school (22 and 762), but didn’t have any siginifcant talent. It depends on eyesight, and that’s a department in which I am lacking, alas.

Tried clay shooting recently. Loved the rhythm of it. Must take it up so I can out posh the golfers at work….

mattsccm
    Free Member

Alright I know I am going off topic a bit but the anti brigade always puzzle me with their logic. How about banning hot hatch backs? More people have been killed by those than guns and I am only including the deliberate deaths. Will they be banned ? No!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d ban hot hatches too 🙂

In all seriousness tho, I’d be as happy shooting air rifles as anything else.

Stoner
    Free Member

airrifles are OK, but you never get the challenge of dealing with odd windy days on the 600m Century range.

Or even shooting over 800, 900 and 1,000 metres with iron sights and hitting an 18″ bullseye with a round just going subsonic.

Or the updrafts on “Magpie Alley” (last 5 targets out of the 110ish against the Siberia wood on the Century range at Bisley) which throw your shot upwards for no reason…

so much more to fullbore than just good position and breathing control.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Rifle Shooting / Marksmanship’ is closed to new replies.