Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ridley X-Fire
  • warton
    Free Member

I’m currently looking at one of these on eBay, after deciding my Boardman is just to heavy for racing. I tried a few of the lads bikes out at CX training last night and I was amazed at the weight difference between theirs and mine…

So, does anyone have any opinions? my main questions are, will it be that bad going from disc to Cantis? all the pros are till using cantis, and most of the fast guys at the races I do use them, so it can’t be that bad, can it?

I tried a 50cm x-fire last night, and it was a bit small for me, I’m 5’10 / 5’11, the one on ebay is 52, I’ve asked the guy how tall he is, but I’m thinkig with a 100mm stem this should be perfect, any thoughts?

cheers

timb34
    Free Member

all the pros are still using cantis

Judging by the photos from Cross Vegas, this is no longer true (although the mens and womens winners were both on cantis!)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Ridely are cross, if you can’t go fast on one of those then there’s no hope 😀

Canti’s are fine for racing, certain courses like CrossVegas are more suited to disks, whilst I wouldn’t expect to see any pro’s on disks at the world’s this season.

Ridely do have a unique view on geometry though, so good you got to sit on one, a 100m stem is no issue on a cross bike

warton
    Free Member

cheers all, the price is rising steadily, but the seller is my height, so if it stays reasonable I’ll be having a punt…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d be interested if you’re selling your Boardman and it’s a medium.

warton
    Free Member

I may be, and it is, although it probably wont be up for sale until April, the next cycle2work window at my work, as I’ll still need a commuter

sefton
    Free Member

HAVE A LOOK AT A STEVENS TEAM CARBON TOO – BEAUTIFUL!

I RACE CANTI’S SO DO MOST THE TOP GUYS BUT IF I WAS SPENDING BIG TOMORROW I’D BE LOOKING AT DISCS UNLESS YOU HAVE WHEELSETS ETC TO UTILISE.

THE NEW GIANT TCX SL LOOKS GREAT TOO.

RIDLEY / CANTI’S = KEEPING IT EURO 8)

mrmo
    Free Member

I think if you look at the US = discs, Europe Cantis. Was reading something that a few of the euro pros have tried discs and decided they were pointless.

Note racing and riding are not the same thing.

warton
    Free Member

Note racing and riding are not the same thing.

this would be a race bike only.

sefton
    Free Member

mud clearance in the UK is paramount – discs can only help here.

the lightweight frame will make a difference each lap – only small but it could equate to a position or two over the hour.

If you can find a pitman a 2nd bike will give you the most gain for you money!

canti’s are fine for racing but they can be a pain to keep setup correctly.

there are a host of different canti’s though – some better than others. avid ultimates are up there. the new trp revos seem to be cropping up more now – but I’m not sure what clearance is like? the trp cx range has loads of power but lacks clearance in UK conditions and kills your race.

not sure what geo the boardman is? it could be more relaxed than a out and out race frame?

Jamie
    Free Member

You still running stock wheels, OP? As they are where most the weight is on a Boardman. I thought the bikes, apart from the wheels, were quite light.

If you can find a pitman a 2nd bike will give you the most gain for you money!

…as it goes, I sold my Boardman to a chap who was going to use it for exactly that purpose.

LS
    Free Member

this would be a race bike only.

Just buy a pair of decent but cheap tubular wheels and keep the stock ones as spares. They’ll make much more of a difference than any bike upgrade. And if as said above the stock ones are anchors then that might be most of your perceived weight issue sorted in one go. I say perceived as once you’ve got half a field’s worth of mud on there then a pound or two between bikes makes no odds.

warton
    Free Member

You still running stock wheels, OP?

I’m not, but i only changed them to superstar 180 quid jobs.

I have been looking at cheap chinese tubs at 300 quid, and some carbon bars etc to drop weight tbh.

I need to have a think 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

tubs can be a pain

new bars,stem & post can drop a lot. remove cxtop levers too if you still have them on. (dont bother with carbon bars)

original discs weigh a lot – replace with KCNC ones.

new saddle

the above is cheap and can at least drop a 1lb

compare actual frame weights there might only be 1lb or 2 in it

LS
    Free Member

Tubs can be a pain? It’s for racing on. They’re the single biggest improvement you can make to any cyclocross bike. All other upgrades will make bob all difference in comparison.

sefton
    Free Member

agreed but they can still be a pain if you not experienced gluing them on etc.

make sure you have long toe studs – best £3 you’ll spend – sidi

chipps

Long toe studs, unless you’re doing the Three Peaks – you’ll hate them on Whernside if you do… 🙂

I’d say that the conditions in Europe favour discs over cantis. The pros don’t like them because they don’t need brakes (especially with a new, clean bike twice a lap in the mud…) and the biggest gripe seemed to be they don’t like the noise of a rubbing, gritty disc as it sounds like it’s slowing them down. It’s the same as Steve Peat using cross country brakes on his downhill bike – he only uses them occasionally, whereas you and I need them all the time.

The pros too don’t pay for canti brake pads, and anyone who’s worn out £40 worth of Swiss Stop pads in one muddy race (as well as the insides of their chainstays/seatstays) will quickly see the value in discs for wet, muddy racing.

And tubs? They’re the best thing ever for racing. Being nearly 13st and running 25psi is giggly amounts of grip-fun

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ridley X-Fire’ is closed to new replies.