Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Riding without Hydration Pack
  • pottersmtber
    Free Member

Hi,

As per title, don’t really like riding with my hydration pack, especially if I’m just going for a short 1-2hr ride.
    I just want something big enough to hold inner tube, multi-tool, tyre levers, patches/glue, chain link.

I rather like the idea of this: https://www.76projects.com/shop/thepiggy, but with the pouch as well to protect everything from mud/water it comes to about £40 which is more than I want to pay really.

I’m planning to fit a dropper post at some point in the future so don’t really want to go the saddle bag route, although there are solutions like the weecog/speedsleeve, but again I think they are rather pricey for what they are. Not too keen on the Backcountry Research velcro strap as everything will get covered in **** (unless I bought a small dry bag as well), also not sure how secure one velcro strap will be in the long-term.

Also, not really keen on the bumbag/bib-shorts with pockets solution as I’d rather keep the weight off my body.

What do you guys use? Seen anything similar to the above but cheaper?.

I only have one bottle cage mount on my bike so it’s fine for upto 2hrs but for longer rides I’ll have to look into some kind of strap-on bottle mounting system or suffer the hydration pack.

cheers,

Andy

allfankledup

Drybag thing

Got that sort of thing under seat — shifts from bike to bike as i change my mind. Never had any moisture/rain get in – has done a few thousand miles and seen some of the most classical scottish weather

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take any tools riding for an 1hr or 2

plyphon
    Free Member

As above.

My local loop is 1hr if I go the short way, 1.5 – 2hr if I go the long way. I take a small backpack with a small bottle of water, phone and house keys.

Actually there might be some zip ties at the bottom somewhere.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Drybag thing

Got that sort of thing under seat — shifts from bike to bike as i change my mind. Never had any moisture/rain get in – has done a few thousand miles and seen some of the most classical scottish weather

I’m not sure a saddle bag with a seat post strap will be dropper post friendly though.

rossburton
    Free Member

I definitely take tools on every ride. For “quick” rides (by which I mean a 5k loop of the woods with the dog) I don’t bother with a pack but last time I forgot to move the tool saddlebag to the right bike. Obviously I then got a flat on the furthest point and had to push all the way back. Just a fifteen minute walk but given the choice of a fifteen minute walk or a tiny saddlebag with a CO2 cylinder in, I know that I’d have preferred the saddlebag…

WeCog make a number of nice little or not so little bags if you want to run packless.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

I definitely take tools on every ride. For “quick” rides (by which I mean a 5k loop of the woods with the dog) I don’t bother with a pack but last time I forgot to move the tool saddlebag to the right bike. Obviously I then got a flat on the furthest point and had to push all the way back. Just a fifteen minute walk but given the choice of a fifteen minute walk or a tiny saddlebag with a CO2 cylinder in, I know that I’d have preferred the saddlebag…

WeCog make a number of nice little or not so little bags if you want to run packless.

Yeh I mentioned weecog in my original post but I feel they are a bit pricey for what they are.

whitestone
    Free Member

I use an Alpkit Fuel Pod either at the seat post end of the top tube or within the frame. The only thing that won’t fit is the pump but that can go in a shirt pocket. Not sure how it would work with a dropper.

For bigger trips I’ve a BearBabe downtube bag which does take a pump as well as an absolute mass of other kit.

Here’s my Solaris with both fitted – the Fuel Pod is used for stuff that I might need when riding like glasses, cash, etc.

This is my wife’s Soul with the same Fuel Pod mounted in the frame:

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I use these on different bikes with droppers. Work well, fully waterproof etc. Bit pricey these days; I seem to think I paid about £15 a few years ago.

Ortlieb

andy_hamgreen

short ride:
    1 x 500ml Sains h2o bottle – squashed flat – rear side pocket
    2 x BackCountry Velcros w/ BeerBabe tool pouch with usual gubbins & inner tube
    that’s it..
    mind you – relying parasitically on pals having pump….

philjunior
    Free Member

You know those funny cycling tops with weird pockets in the back?

richardkennerley

I bought a weecog slider for use with dropper post. It holds enough basic supplies, keeps everything dry (been on wet/muddy rides recently and hosed it off) and works with the dropper no problem.

Yeah, it could be considered expensive, but it might last 20 years!!

rs89
    Free Member

I’ve spent some time trying to find the perfect solution for this to, as I also don’t like riding with a pack if I can avoid it.

Current setup is a Bar Fly Hopper strap, holding a lightweight spare tube, two pedros tyre levers, a park tools set of sticky patches, emergency tyre boot and a tiny multi tool. All the bits are wrapped in a sandwich bag, inside the tube. Tyre levers slot down the sides. I’ve got some quicklinks taped to the cable housing of my rear shifter, up by the handlebars (#BecauseEnduro).

Don’t have a dropper post, but pretty sure the bar fly strap would be fine here as it is only held on the saddle rails.

I then have a Specialized CO2 combo pump thingy mounted under a bottle cage. Stores a CO2 cartridge in the pump body.

Spare tube gets covered in crap, but it’s never particularly bothered me.

wombat

I have a tool bottle thing almost permanently mounted in a cage on my Krampus with tools, CO2 inflator, levers & things in.

Was about £3 at Decathlon, doesn’t leak and doesn’t look too bad imo

Always ready for action 8)

whitestone
    Free Member

The OP states his bike only has one set of cage bosses so the tool bottle isn’t an option as he’d need another set for the water bottle cage.

prawny

Bumbag and a water bottle in a cage for me. I always ride alone so need tools tube and a pump on all rides.

Bum bag rather than pockets means I can just strap it on as I’m heading out of the garage.

DavidB
    Free Member

Ditto jersey pockets. I do 70 mile plus routes using jersey pockets a single bottle and a cafe.

molgrips
    Free Member

My shortest local loop is only an hour, but if I broke something half way round I’d still be walking home for an hour. Take tools. Water I could do without.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

I use an Alpkit Fuel Pod either at the seat post end of the top tube or within the frame. The only thing that won’t fit is the pump but that can go in a shirt pocket. Not sure how it would work with a dropper.

For bigger trips I’ve a BearBabe downtube bag which does take a pump as well as an absolute mass of other kit.

Here’s my Solaris with both fitted – the Fuel Pod is used for stuff that I might need when riding like glasses, cash, etc.

I actually thought about using a top-tube bag on the seat tube like your wife has it as I thought it would look better and I do think that looks quite good. I also like that BeerBabe downtube bag which I presume could also be used on the seat tube. Was it custom made as I can’t see it on their website?.

I use these on different bikes with droppers. Work well, fully waterproof etc. Bit pricey these days; I seem to think I paid about £15 a few years ago.

Ortlieb

I had seen these but some owners have said the plastic brackets break eventually.

1 x 500ml Sains h2o bottle – squashed flat – rear side pocket

This sounds interesting, do you have a link?

You know those funny cycling tops with weird pockets in the back?

Yes but having to remember everything for each ride there would be a chance I’d forget something.

daern
    Free Member

For anything on the road bike, or MTB for half-day or less, I only use my jersey pockets. The only exceptions are if I’m travelling with the family, where I’ll normally have a load of food too, or if I’m leading a ride, when I’ll carry first aid and other such things. Longer MTB rides, I’ll typically take the rucksack. I have a single bottlecage on the bike, which serves me for drink when not carrying the rucksack. Spare-tube is taped to the back of the saddle.

You really don’t need a lot of kit to be more or less self-sufficient on the trail. You don’t need those workshop tools, or that spare rear mech – just pack light and sensibly.

I’ve posted these images a few times, but here’s a breakdown of my normal back-pocket-kit:

(the multitool goes in its own neoprene sleeve, the rest goes in one that I bought for 3 quid on eBay and because it’s always packed up, I can’t forget anything.)

This leaves me with a spare pocket for phone, money and coat. What more do you need? 🙂

Kryton57

Jesus.

Bottle on the frame, everything else in jersey.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got the BB bag earlier this year. I emailed her asking if she’d consider making a custom one since I didn’t see anything on the site. She replied that she was already doing them but hadn’t updated the site. I got the smallest size, 300mm long, which was circa £35.

It’ll take:

Pump (Mini-mountain morph)
    Inner tube
    50ml bottle of sealant
    50ml bottle of chain oil
    multi tool (Hexus)
    2 x Pedro tyre levers
    3 x sets brake pads
    puncture repair kit
    tubeless repair kit
    repair stuff for non-bike kit
    zip ties

This is for multi-day ITTs like the HT550 BTW not a short day ride though I tend to leave it there.

I should add that it’s worth having a mudguard on the downtube to protect the water bottle from sh!t

orena45

I’ve just been trying out the MTBstrapon strap. Similar to the Back Country Research strap but available in custom colours…and actually available. Review just gone up on my blog.

I also use a stash base layer from Pearl Izumi (Blog review here) which works well.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

I got the BB bag earlier this year. I emailed her asking if she’d consider making a custom one since I didn’t see anything on the site. She replied that she was already doing them but hadn’t updated the site. I got the smallest size, 300mm long, which was circa £35.

It’ll take:

Pump (Mini-mountain morph)
    Inner tube
    50ml bottle of sealant
    50ml bottle of chain oil
    multi tool (Hexus)
    2 x Pedro tyre levers
    3 x sets brake pads
    puncture repair kit
    tubeless repair kit
    repair stuff for non-bike kit
    zip ties

This is for multi-day ITTs like the HT550 BTW not a short day ride though I tend to leave it there.

I should add that it’s worth having a mudguard on the downtube to protect the water bottle from sh!t

Thanks for this, I wreckon I could find something a bit smaller and cheaper that I could mount to the seat tube.
    What do you and your wife use for more water as I see you dont have 2nd bottle cages either? I see you have one of those fuel stem bags, does that holder your 2nd bottle?

pottersmtber
    Free Member

I’ve just been trying out the MTBstrapon strap. Similar to the Back Country Research strap but available in custom colours…and actually available. Review just gone up on my blog.

I also use a stash base layer from Pearl Izumi (Blog review here) which works well.

Thanks for the info, these look promising and a much more sensible price. The problem I have with these one strap systems is everything including multi-tool etc will get covered in mud and wet and therefore eventually get rusty. Although I had thought about wrapping everything in some kind of drybag first. The 2nd problem is i’m not sure how secure they will be in the long-term, as I had a one-strap saddle bag on my road bike which came loose and so I lost it, and thats just during road riding not off-road. It was one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-tube-bag-with-tube-and-tyre-levers/rp-prod39760

joshvegas
    Free Member

Back pocket and a stick pod to keep it all together?

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Back pocket and a stick pod to keep it all together?

I’m pretty sure at some point I’d end up forgetting it plus with a tube, multi-tool, tyre levers etc in their it would be quite heavy and flop around alot.

jekkyl

It’s common recurring theme.
    I was a no backpack Zealot. 2 bottle mounts, one with a bottle and the other with tools and a mini pump on the mounts under the bottle. Over the years and with many problems I’ve given up and now wear a camelbak on every ride. Several times the tool bottle has fallen off and I (we) had to retarce our route to find it. One time the bottle cage was old and fell apart and I had to ride virtually all of Cannock slurping from my mates camelbak tube. Another issue is if you want to take off some clothing you either have to wrap round your waist and look an uncool 13 yr old or wrap it round the bike. Also if you want to take extra clothing with you (rain jacket, dry gloves?) then you’ll have to wear it the whole ride or attach it to the bike. Also you’re also limited to 750ml of fluid, not really enough for 2hrs+ ride I find. Also, if you have several bikes you either have to buy a pump for each or transfer the pump over before each ride. You watch and the first time you forget to transfer it over will be the time you need it. Everything is simply much easier (for me) having a backpack.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Do you think perhaps you’re overthinking it abit?

Just stuff your stuff in whatever.

Attach it to whatever.

Try not to forget anything.

Works for me and i’m an idiot.

orena45

Thanks for the info, these look promising and a much more sensible price. The problem I have with these one strap systems is everything including multi-tool etc will get covered in mud and wet and therefore eventually get rusty.

He is currently trialling one with a pouch integrated into the strap… I’ll be testing it at a local enduro race next weekend and feeding back.

monkeyboyjc

I use a backcountry research super8 to carry a fatbike tube on the bike (in a zipseal bag so it doesn’t get covered in mud).

And I use a Lezyne dropper compatible tool roll for tools.

Zip ties stored in the crank axle and spare chain links taped to a cable.

Enables two bottles still on a medium size hardtail (one 750ml and one 500ml) which is enough for longer rides in the summer.

molgrips
    Free Member

slurping from my mates camelbak tube

Mid-air refuelling as we call it.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

He is currently trialling one with a pouch integrated into the strap… I’ll be testing it at a local enduro race next weekend and feeding back.

That sounds promising and I could perhaps add a 2nd strap going around it (like the Bar Fly Hopper) to add extra security.

whitestone
    Free Member

What do you and your wife use for more water as I see you dont have 2nd bottle cages either? I see you have one of those fuel stem bags, does that holder your 2nd bottle?

Actually there’s two stem cell bags. They are for trail food, flapjack, chocolate and the like. Only take one 750ml water bottle. An MSR Trailshot water filter goes in the Fuel Pod along with the glasses etc. then if the water source might be dodgy I just filter water straight from it otherwise I just fill the bottle directly.

This was the contents of the fuel pod for the Highland Trail this summer.

Clockwise from top:

Talcum powder
    Glasses
    Electrical leads
    MSR Trailstar
    Small tub of butt cream
    Midge hood
    cold sore cream
    toothbrush and paste
    lipsil
    Smidge midge repellent

My phone, FA kit, cash and debit card also fitted in.

jaylittle
    Free Member

This thread made me think about the amount of gear i carry when out biking…..

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Actually there’s two stem cell bags. They are for trail food, flapjack, chocolate and the like. Only take one 750ml water bottle. An MSR Trailshot water filter goes in the Fuel Pod along with the glasses etc. then if the water source might be dodgy I just filter water straight from it otherwise I just fill the bottle directly.

This was the contents of the fuel pod for the Highland Trail this summer.

Seems a heck of a long way to go with only one bottle but it must work for you. Those filters look good but not sure I could completely trust one.

Rickos
    Free Member

I got one of these for £16.99.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-vortex-480-saddle-bag/

All a tight squeeze, but it fits a 29er tube, multi tool, co2 canister and attachment. Tyre levers sit on top of the bag under the mount. Sits back on the rails, so doesn’t touch my Reverb at all. Works great on the hard tail, but does get buzzed at full travel on my suspension bike with the dropper down.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sometimes I take a small hydration pack, just depends on the availability of water sources on the route. There’s plenty of water in the Highlands, I only used the filter when I was in lower areas with livestock around. Didn’t bother with becks out on the hill.

FOG

I hate having loads of stuff in jersey pockets. It always feels as if you are going to hook the hem on the saddle when you move around on the bike.
    I use small, cheap Decathlon saddle bag for tube , levers and tool with pump in an inner tube ‘condom’ strapped to frame. For longer rides,a Fuel cell containing food and a waterproof. For very long winter rides I just give up and use a pack

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Whitestone midgehood 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Riding without Hydration Pack’ is closed to new replies.