Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Riding without a pack
  • nickc

some of them have windstopper properties, most of the ones I’ve seen in “emergency” FAK don’t, and are too small to close up against the wind, and when they get wetted out will immediately conduct that to the person unfortunate enough to be wrapped in one, and if they have wet clothes on, might make their situation worse still.

Like a lot of cheap gear, they have the distinct possibility of making a bad situation worse 1. because people think they are better prepared then they really are, giving them a false sense of security and 2. if used incorrectly they might harm the person they are supposed to be helping.

I’ve no argument with people going out prepared, but the stove that a previous poster suggested would be a better thing to have.

scotroutes

Sorry, what exactly are you going to do with a stove – and are you suggesting that folk should carry a stove on all rides?

allan23
    Free Member

Stopped wearing packs a while back, had lots of muscle issues after being on statins and after not wearing a pack for a while I now feel a bit claustrophobic with one – even the Wingnut ones were a nightmare so that’ll be up for sale when I can be bothered.

Anyway, I use saddle packs for most rides, I don’t use a dropper as I’m not really into the kind of riding. I was thinking of flogging the full sus as there’re are no bottle cages but two of these and some velcro cable ties let me have bottles either side of the top tube.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Minimalist-Tactical-Carrier-Walking/dp/B00VTIBNUS/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1483099243&sr=8-15&keywords=onetigris

The top tube packs are also pretty good for things like phone and gels. Keys are always in a zipped pocket though or for road rides from home, just the house key on a shoelace and worn round the neck works.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

no, that’s not what I’m suggesting.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Since I’ve been riding the CX bike I find I can go without the backpack.
    A couple of tubes a mini pump a phone and emergency cash all carried in my back pockets, on rides up to about 40 miles.

mick_r

space blankets? They have exactly zero insulating properties.

I’m fully aware of that. In that example it kept the rain off the guy (late December, no waterproof) while he led there for a couple of hours. Also a good morale boost where they think things are getting better even if we know it is only really a placebo. As you probably also know it serves to mark the casualty so the rescue people can spot him easily (helicopter did a fly-by to spot him but couldn’t land until later due to bad visibility with low winter sun), and people that insist on riding past (trail centres – grr) can at least notice and give them a wide berth.

To be honest we now carry a double size plastic bivvy bag – learnt lots of useful things you can do with them during outdoor first aid course.

pictonroad

I hate backpacks with a passion. Riding without one would be marvellous. I’ve bought a 2017 Spesh Camber, a big investment and I’m over the moon with the SWAT system. I know they’re a bit of a joke and I get ribbed about my ‘baguette carrier’ but it’s a game changer for me.

It’s such a well thought out, designed and executed solution. As the bike is now I can get a 29er tube, multitool, pump, jacket, CO2 cartridges, patches, chain links etc all inside the bike frame. When I invest in their proprietary tools for the steerer tube and shock link then it will free up more space. The frame takes one 750ml bottle and with the SWAT saddle mounts you can have up more bottles or a tool roll on the saddle.

I’ve only just got it but got high hopes of ditching the pack next summer.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

On my Mega I’ve used an Ortlieb saddle pouch for over a year now. All the essentials are in there, it’s waterproof, stable and dropper-post safe. Tube, levers, tool with chain tool, spare brake pads, mech hanger and a whistle. Phone and key goes in a zipped pocket on my cloths.

I use an Alpkit Fuel Cell on my Longditude. Not waterproof but adaptable

superleggero
    Free Member

You can fit the following items inside an MTB handlebar: spare gear cable, chain master links, spare section of chain, tyre patches, tyre boot, some cable ties and some electricians and/or gaffer tape. Best with lock on grips for easy access and attach everything to two long cable ties (one at each end) which can be pulled out with loops of string at the ends when you need access to any of the stuff

I also tape.a spare mech hanger under the saddle. You will of course still need a (compact) multitool, spare tube, pump (or Co2) and tyre levers carried by other means, as a minimum for common mechanical issues.

ibnchris

I use a jersey with zip up pockets (a Repack Berino) and have an ortlieb saddle bag. That serves me for anything from a couple of hours blast around the woods to a full day out. The saddle bag can fit a toasty warm layer (I get cold easily and have been caught out in a nasty way so a little paranoid) and a sarnie. The jersey takes my tools, tube and gels/snacks. Bottle on the bike. Winner.

mahalo

That RaceFace rim strip is like rocking horse shit! Any alternatives about?

jamesg55
    Free Member

easy –

jamesg55
    Free Member

easy –
    bottle cage with swat multitool attached
    mavic fanny pack for extra water, tube and gels/snack
    pump attached next to bottle cage

kuman
    Free Member

I use alpkit medium fuel pod. It takes spare tube, tools and some snacks. I have mini pump on each bike attached with bracket to down tube and then just swap fuel pod between bikes. I hate backpacks on bike with passion.

jruk
    Free Member

Genuine question: I’m guessing people spend time and money making their bikes lighter so why go and strap a load of stuff to it? If I stick a couple of kg on my back I don’t really notice it (but I’m 100kg ish) so why the hate of backpacks? Is it a heat / sweat thing?

I’m interested to try a Talon type pack for shorter rides (2-3 hours), are there others I should look at?

shermer75
    Free Member

One problem I have never managed to solve is the water bottle falling off the bike when the trail gets fast and bumpy. Has anyone found a way to stop this happening?

orangespyderman

Genuine question: I’m guessing people spend time and money making their bikes lighter so why go and strap a load of stuff to it? If I stick a couple of kg on my back I don’t really notice it (but I’m 100kg ish) so why the hate of backpacks? Is it a heat / sweat thing?

I don’t hate it myself. But I do feel more comfortable moving around on the bike with nothing on my back. It is also a heat thing in the summer, but that’s when I tend to need more liquids so I (quite literally 🙂 ) just suck it up when I have to. In theory at least, the weight on the bike rather than the back keeps the centre of gravity lower which is probably a GoodThing(TM) but I can’t really say that my riding’s at a point where I’m looking for marginal gains like that :S As for lightening the bike then strapping stuff to it, I would consider that it’s weight that I would be carrying in some form anyway, not weight I could eliminate altogether, so I might as well try and get it somewhere other than on my back if possible.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If I’m going local I just take a phone, a key, bank card, and a bottle of water, no need to take anything else.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Why don’t you just use your pockets on your jersey.
    I’ve never used a bag, whatever the ride.

FOG

V. cheap Decathlon saddle pack, 3-4 quid so one on each bike with tube levers and a cheap multi tool (strap round seat rails so don’t affect dropper) Phone in a pouch round the neck, tucked into jersey. Money/card in a neoprene purse in jersey zip pocket. Keys in zip shorts pocket, pump on bike. Longer rides , use a frame bag for waterproof etc and of course , water in bottle on the frame

benp1

I switch, depending on bike and the ride, between bumbag and bikepacking bags for local ish rides. Bottles in cages, usually just 1. Two bumbags in use, OMM waist pouch 3l and Montane Batpack, latter is larger and used more often than the former – can get an insulated gilet and a hip flask in there as well

Day out rides happen rarely, but it’s a camelbak mule if I do go on one

stayhigh

I’ve been quite pleased with the Quecha 10 waist pack I’ve been using for my last couple of rides.

It’s pretty stable while on with a water bottle, Montane featherlite, multitool, tube, levers, co2 pump, phone and some cake tokens.

I did think it maybe too big given the 10L capacity but it cinches up nicely with the straps and gives you the option of more space for bigger rides/days out.

I also have a Velochampion Fuel Packon each bike for keys, snacks/gels which is very handy and a bargain at £4 in the sale 😉

ulysse
    Free Member

A pump holder under the bottle cage, an easily snapped tie wrap holding a kmc magic link on to one of the brake hoses, and a crank Brothers Cb 17 wrapped tightly in a cloth then a layer of shrink to protect the tube that’s wrapped around it, then shrink wrap to protect the tube and contents from the elements. It’s about 2.5″ x 1.5″ total and taped to the top tube

mickmcd
    Free Member

One problem I have never managed to solve is the water bottle falling off the bike when the trail gets fast and bumpy. Has anyone found a way to stop this happening?

rubber band …..one of those big mofo ones

oh and the pack thing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/PAv8i2]P5140061-1024×682[/url] by mike.mcdermid, on Flickr]pack thing[/url]

shermer75
    Free Member

oh and the pack thing

What is that?

shermer75
    Free Member
    ninfan
    Free Member

Thoroughly recommended for the price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hunpta-Outdoor-Bicycle-Mountain-Equipment/dp/B01MDNMYCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483360859&sr=8-1&keywords=Bicycle+bag+hunpta

Tube, CO2 and multi tool lives in one side, money, phone and keys go into the other side perfectly

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Riding without a pack’ is closed to new replies.