Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Riding without a pack.
  • endurokid
    Free Member

So,

I’ve done a few rides without a pack and I’m loving the freedom it brings, I’m still managing to carry the essential tools in case of a minor breakdown but no liquids, so far I’ve managed without fluids whilst riding but I’m wondering if this is a bad thing and if I should be taking on fluids, any advice would be great, cheers.

Wally

+1

Edric64
    Free Member

Fluids are essential if riding any length of time I usually try and drink a bottle an hour

kayak23

I don’t really carry what’s useful for riding. I try to carry what’s useful for an unplanned stop.
    This is especially true in this weather.
    Depends where you are I suppose but it’s good to have some basics, should you really need them.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’m debating buying a bum bag (don’t shoot me) with a single bottle holder, I love the feeling of being pack less but I suppose having at least one bottle would be better.

My biggest ride pack less was about 18 miles and about 1,800 feet of climbing and I didn’t miss a drink, the ride took about two and a half hours.

I just find I’m carrying fewer tools and can’t see the point carrying a pack.

garage-dweller

I don’t really carry what’s useful for riding. I try to carry what’s useful for an unplanned stop.

This (including relevant tools) is really important at this time of year.

breadcrumb

Come summer you’ll be needing some hydration.

Can you fit a bottle cage?

If I’m just sticking in a fast lap around Whinlatter I generally just take a bottle at most.

endurokid
    Free Member

No mounts on my FS but I can fit one to the HT so I think this is a route I will go down.

Think a bum bag with bottle would be the way forward on the FS.

lukedwr
    Free Member

Bum bag (inov-8 waterproof running one), bottle. Find it noticeably better

ricky1
    Free Member

I tried it when I did penmachno enduro back in November,wedged some tyre levers up inside the seat post,I don’t have a reverb so I wrapped my multi tool in an inner tube around my saddle rails ad used an elastic band to connect the pump to the frame,didn’t have a drink though and found out I didn’t really crave fluids on the way round,my camel back does really piss me off it never sits right on my back,and TBH on a 3 hour ride I probably only take a few swigs and always end up pouring all of it away after,I’m going on now arnt I…….

scotroutes

There’s been a few posts on this recently. I tend to ride with tools and pump fixed to the bike and using a water bottle. If need be, I’ll use a bumbag for a spare layer, phone, snack, wallet. Feels much better than a full-on rucksack, regardless of how light you like to keep it. I’d been using an old Karrimor bumbag but the postie delivered a very Enduro-looking lime green Ortlieb one today.

ricky1
    Free Member

So am I right in suggesting there is a gap in the market for a bumbag with bladder,surprised no one has though if it yet,.

scotroutes

Camelbak do one already.

fasthaggis

The thing that puts me off bumbags is how the weight acts on your belly six pack. I used to use them on motorbikes ,but at least there,it would rest on the seat when a bit heavy.
    I think a bumbag with shoulder straps would work,like a Wingnut bag with no back.For me ,packing smart to suit where ( and how long )you are riding makes more of a difference. I don’t mind a backpack,just don’t overload them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these – LifeVenture Hip Pack 2 (for 2 litres) –

which was £15. The bag bit is maybe 10″ long, to give the picture some perspective. I can fit a tube, pump, mini tool, tyre levers, tubeless repair kit, phone, bandage and dressing, and my keys in it, with room if I wanted for a small snack. I wore it today and, since my shorts already have a belt, did not even know I had it on. I’m a convert.

Bottle in cage for a drink, plenty of streams for refilling if required.

WaywardRider
    Free Member

Roadies seem to manage ok without a bag on their back…

kiwijohn

Road bikes have 2 bottle cages. & how many do you see with huge, ugly seat bags?

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Think a bum bag with bottle would be the way forward on the FS.

For enduro’ing you mean 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

WaywardRider – Member
    Roadies seem to manage ok without a bag on their back…

The tubes are tiny for a road bike and you pass loads of shops….

If I’m heading into the mountains in winter then I will be equipped for the conditions. That doesn’t fit into a pocket.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Exactly what scotroutes says. Tubes, pump multitool and bottle on the bike. In summer I stuff a wee snack, wallet and an extra layer into my jersey pockets. I’ve just bought a BUMBAG to use in winter as I can’t reach the jersey pockets under a jacket.

wiganer
    Free Member

Recent studies suggest that taking on fluids whilst exercising provides no benefit at all. If you’re properly hydrated before you start that should be sufficient until you finish. I saw a documentary with some studies of marathon runners who took on no liquid during a race and didn’t suffer either physically or in their performance. Me? I’ll carry a drink thanks.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Had an interesting 6 hour ride this week. My standard every ride backpack with allsorts in it really helped.

First, the ride was only meant to be a 2/3 hour ride to Langset and back, but I decided to tackle Cut Gate once I’d reached langset. The 2l bladder and bananas I took just in case where god send an hour away from home.

On Cutgate, I was very glad I had an extra buff and cheap coat in the bag, although even with a buff on my neck/face and one on my head, plus a breathable winter coat and a cheap plastic shell, I abandoned Cut Gate half way up. Horizontal sleet, ice cold wind that was freezing the water on the peak of my helmet and it looking like there was zero visibility up on the top, made me think better of going up there.

I cut over to the strines road instead. On a 25% decent, my rear pads failed (one pad came away from the backing plate). Luckily I had some pads in my bag, so I changed them and carried on.

For me, I’d rather carry too much and be prepared on any ride I expect to be more than an hour or so.

(I’ve now added a couple of energy gels too, as getting home was hard!)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you are only going out for an 1hr or so you don’t need any tools or liquid

jonba
    Free Member

You can manage with a bottle and a medium sized saddle bag like and arkel. Personally I just find it easier to throw stuff in a pack.

One thing I do do is carefully go through everything I’m taking. Some people carry extraordinary amounts of stuff on short rides. If you cut back it makes a difference. Heaviest thing is water so I got out of the habit of filling my bladder to the brim. Instead take as much as you need. In winter on a 3-4hour ride I don’t need more than 1.5L of water so I don’t take 3.

HAving a minimalist racing pack helps make the decisions easier as not much fits in it.

For more wild rides I still have a bigger pack as what has been said above is true. You need proper kit in the hills in winter. Local stuff I can just pop into a pub to keep warm and phone the wife if I need to.

russyh
    Free Member

Be interested to hear people’s experiences of hydration packs that sit around your waist. I find a standard hydration pack has been adding to some back woes, been riding pack less recently and falling back in love with my riding. Worried that by summer time I will have to take a hydration pack again. I have been looking at wing nuts etc. but would love to hear others thoughts or recomendations of brands that keep the weight wound your waist.

onehundredthidiot

If your planning to be out for an hour, what happens if Your bike suffers a catastrophic failure at furthest point?.

njee20
    Free Member

Recent studies suggest that taking on fluids whilst exercising provides no benefit at all. If you’re properly hydrated before you start that should be sufficient until you finish. I saw a documentary with some studies of marathon runners who took on no liquid during a race and didn’t suffer either physically or in their performance. Me? I’ll carry a drink thanks.

Really? I Don’t buy that. Short stuff, absolutely, perhaps even elite marathon runners in cooler climates, 2 hours exercise. Good luck doing a 4 hour ride in summer though.

If your planning to be out for an hour, what happens if Your bike suffers a catastrophic failure at furthest point?.

I doubt many people do more than 10mph, so you potentially have a 5 mile walk.

onehundredthidiot

Average 20 mins per mile add 10 mins for terrain. Can get pretty cold and uncomfortable in that time.
    Sometimes I ride with a full leaders pack, sometimes a lot less because I know what others are carrying. And if I’m doing a short blast from home just tube pump and multitool.

Euro
    Free Member

I went for a kit free ride a few weeks back. I brought a 5mm hex to alter my saddle height and that was it. It was going great until one of the bolts that holds the saddle sheered. Would have been nice to have a bag to put my seat and seat post in – pockets weren’t ideal. And standing up pedaling for a few miles on swampy ground doesn’t half make you thirsty so a drink would have been nice too.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are only going out for an 1hr or so you don’t need any tools or liquid

Unless you get thirsty or have mechanical issue.

I doubt many people do more than 10mph, so you potentially have a 5 mile walk.

That sounds like a good way to ruin your day.

I’d rather take a few bits and guarantee a nice ride.

njee20
    Free Member

I agree, but it was a straight answer to the question.

hora
    Free Member

Heres a recent topic that may help. Deuter is the answer- http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/biking-bum-bags

Jeffus
    Free Member

I never really notice my pack always just put it on have done for 9 years +, had bottles before that which used to fall out just when I was thirsty 🙂

mtbtom
    Free Member

Out of interest, how high do people wear their packs?

I’ve always cinched mine down fairly tight and high-up, but have started experimenting with it lower down my back lately, which seems to help a bit.

scotroutes

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still enjoying riding without my pack.

Bottle on the bike, and a rollable one that fits in a minimal roadie jersey that I wear under a normal jersey with tools & tube on the bike (if I remember one).

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Fluids are essential if riding any length of time I usually try and drink a bottle an hour

Rubbish. There is agrowing body of research that shows that people are drinking too much during sport.

SirHC

On local xc rides, I’ve ditched the camel back. Bottle cage and then Multitool/CO2/tube/phone/keys in jersey pockets. Specialized’s EMT tools are quite tempting.

There is a lot to be said of routine maintenance, when I’m out on the bikes, the last thing I want to be doing is fixing them.

BillMC

Two bottle cages on my ht and fs and roadbike, one for liquid one for spare plus tools. I also sometimes use a small saddle bag instead of the tools bottle. I can’t remember when I last used a backpack. I also like that sense of freedom but if you weigh your bike down too much you notice a slight change of balance if getting a bit of air.

hora
    Free Member

If I rode with a 3lt bladder I filled it and drank the lot. Most of a rode though I’d be carrying circa 2lb balast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Riding without a pack.’ is closed to new replies.