Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding within sensible distance of Aldershot/Farnham
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

The other half is covering an event down that way this Sunday so I’ve a few hours to kill.

Is there anything that’s worth taking the bike along for a pedal? Anything from downhill tracks to an xc loop? If there is anything to ride what’s the best tool for the job, On One 456c or Spesh Enduro?

Also, if anyone’s local and fancies a pedal, a guide would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    James

gingajim
    Free Member

Loads of cross country riding around the area we call Caesars Camp/Long Valley, all pretty good singletrack (you just need to explore) Park in any carpark along Bourley Road and have a play. May I suggest a hardtail or short travel:)
    Enjoy

theotherjonv

Yes, tonnes. I’d go to the Basingstoke canal centre at mytchett, park in the overflow car park, go through the gate at the end and explore.

But read the Aldershot / Farnborough mod land thread on page 2 and the trail action group website too first. The relations with the mod are a bit delicate currently, if you do go for a ride and run into the army or landmarc agents, don’t behave like a dick.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Cheers for the info guys, what sort of riding should I be expecting – natural single track?

Last year I raced the 12:12 Torq event that is down that way, is that accessible the rest of the year?

Don’t worry, I’m not the type to behave like a dick – even less so when theres a chance the other party could well be armed!!

gingajim
    Free Member

The Minley 12:12 course is pretty obscured due to logging at the mo:(

jamesfts
    Free Member

Thats a shame – was probably the most enjoyable lap of all the endurance races I’ve done.

I’ve put both places into the satnav for tomorrow, think I’ll probably head to bits off Bourley Road 1st and see how I get on!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Takes some hunting to find stuff. Top of Caesars is easier to find stuff than long valley, though you could still miss everything first time. Just need to explore and look for signs of trail use. Long valley is top of the sensitive area by the way.

I tend to go with hard tail (c456 myself) around the MoD areas, though a full sus can be fun too, but it’s generally more xc singletrack and fireroad mix. There’s a little spot heading down Beacon Hill that’s got some DH in it though.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction guys, much appreciated.

Out of pure coincidence the event we were at was actually at the race course on Bourley Road! That made the decision a bit easier as it meant I could leave the car there and head off on the bike.

Really enjoyed the change of scenery and also just heading off following my nose. Had a mooch around Strava before hand and managed to find some fun bits of single track dotted about the place.

Few highlights were a loose natural descent (called ‘Flat Out’ I think) a nice section of single track running parallel to a fire road with a blind drop off a small brick structure which resulting in a bit of an OTB on 1st attempt (going too fast to stop but too slow to huck it, knowing it was there helped on 2nd attempt!) and finding a few rooty/loamy sections with a couple of jumps shortly after.

Be interested to hear what I missed/found, I stubbled upon Caesars Camp when I was pretty much ready to head home unfortunately…

http://www.strava.com/activities/151183422

All in all – great day out.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding within sensible distance of Aldershot/Farnham’ is closed to new replies.