Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Riding with stiches in elbow?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I had a bit of a crash at BPW on Saturday which resulted in about a dozen stiches in my left elbow. I’m prepared to wait until my arm is better before going out on the mountainbike again, but I’d like to get back on the roadbike ASAP, should I wait until the stiches are out or will I be ok to ride on Sunday* with the stiches still in (stiches will hopefully be taken out Tue/Wed next week)? Thanks

*I’ll go with a slightly slower group than normal so I’m not pushing myself too much.

jam-bo

I probably would.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I stayed off the bike for a week when I did mine last year (mine was only 4 stiches though). Was fine to ride, just no pumping, drops or jumping.

I do remember clipping my elbow on a tree though and letting out a horrific scream!

I managed to persuade my gf to pull the stiches out when it was healed, I did my bit to save the burden on the NHS/local GP.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Was fine to ride, just no pumping, drops or jumping.

I won’t be pumping, dropping or jumping on the road bike and I do my best to avoid pot-holes anyway! I’m going to see the Practice nurse tomorrow to get it checked and re-dressed so providing all is well I’ll give it a go on Sunday 😀

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just take a roll of duct tape with you…..

antigee

mtb no road yes

have some horrible scar tissue on my left elbow from an emergency op – and any poke/fall is painful vitamin e cream and gentle massage to reduce scar tissue suggested

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Put 10 stitches in mine when working as a guide*. Was riding on it the next day. Big elbow pad, and I was very much sweeper at the back of the group. Had to be very careful managing bumps for a couple of days, but by the end of the next week I was riding normally. The hardest bit was driving myself the hour to hospital.

*Note to self:- when the guests have been giving you gyp about being slow DH and you’re on a hardtail and they’re on 6″ travel FS don’t think “Oh I’ll drop them through this next rocky section”…!

ceepers

From a reasonably informed medical point of view, stitches have generally done their job after a week even though resorbable ones take up to 3 weeks to dissolve so by Sunday the wound should be fairly well closed.

Reckon it will be fine can’t see a road ride pulling it open again, just don’t fall off!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Riding with stiches in elbow?’ is closed to new replies.