Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Riding with metalwork #elbow
  • mountainmatt
    Free Member

Hey :-). Broke my elbow 6 weeks ago and the docs used plate and screws to fix it.
    Just starting to think about riding again… Although I won’t be on the road or trails until next spring I guess I was wondering if others have returned to ride with plates and screws in situ and any experiences to tell ?
    Cheers.
    Mj

mcnultycop

Had mine wired on Monday (crash Sunday) so I’d like to see how this thread works out. I’m obviously still in a cast, but I want to be riding ASAP.

kayak23

Broke my arm many moons ago in a motorcycle crash. Had a plate fitted to my arm.
    I rode and kayaked and pretty much lived normally with it for a couple of years but eventually found it a little uncomfortable in that I could feel the screw heads etc. It just sort of felt vulnerable so I had it removed.

A few years ago I broke my tibial plateau in the rock garden at Gethin(Bikepark Wales) and had that plated too.

That was also fine to ride in, though I did get the odd twang and it also felt vulnerable as I could feel it through the skin easily.
    I also had that removed eventually too…

Although I had both mine removed, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it does become a problem you can always have it removed, but otherwise I’d go about your business as usual and riding is absolutely fine providing it is comfortable.
    🙂

Burchy1
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/da9BiN]DSCF4071[/url] by burchy80, on Flickr

Half way between wrist and elbow (I appreciate this is a much simpler break to recover from). Its in permanently unless it gets very painful, which 2 years on its not. As P-Jay has said it aches a little in really cold weather, but its been crashed on a few times now and is all good.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Got my collarbone bolted and plated after it healed badly first time round; I had it plated four years after the original break as the bone was cutting my flesh from the inside whenever I swam. It still causes problems around my upper back which means that I do have to constantly exercise it to keep the muscles working, but it’s definitely better.

Recovery was pretty quick – I think I was riding a bike gently in four weeks, back MTBing in 6-8.

However, do get a second opinion. The doc you dealt with gave you his opinion. While it’s an educated and experienced opinion, it’s still just that – an opinion. If you can, getting new eyes on it could be worthwhile.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Broke my elbow six weeks ago, pinned at the time and out of plaster for a week now. Consultant reckons that after eight to nine weeks an XRay can show if the bone is knitting, so no physio and no force through the elbow til then at the earliest. I’m resigned to being away from any kind of bike riding unitl the new year at least.

plus-one

Had my collarbone and radius plated few years back.. On turbo 2 days after op and out on road bike the day cast was off 🙂

roverpig

Does surgery slow recovery down that much then? If so, I guess I was lucky to avoid it.

I did my elbow in 6 weeks back: dislocated, fractured and sheered a few bits of bone off. The A&E team kept me in overnight and said I’d have surgery in the morning, but the surgical team reckoned I should get away with a cast.

I got on the turbo when I went from a solid to a hinged cast (1 week, although I had to fight the fracture clinic who wanted to wait 2 weeks). I had to break a bit of the cast off to get the wrist movement to grip the bars, but I’d probably have done that anyway (for typing etc). I had a couple of gentle rides (road and tame trail) while I was still in the hinged cast and was back to near normal once the cast was off. OK, I’m wearing elbow pads and only doing tame trails at very low speeds, but not riding at all sounds a bit drastic.

Robespierre
    Free Member

A lot depends on the nature of the break and the surgery used to fix it. I have a pin which holds the elbow to the ulna. If they had wired and srewed the break then this would have actively held the break together, meaning that the two halves either side of the fracture will not move or twist. The pin alone does not have this strengthening factor. What I have been told since surgery is that it takes at least eight weeks before an XRay can tell if the fracture is knitting, and that this is still only the cue for light physio to begin with. I imagine that you could begin to ride soon after this if you has a wired and screwed fracture, but the consequences of damaging the newly healing break would be awful.

roverpig

Ouch, time to count my blessings I guess. Good luck to those still suffering.

vrjjuk
    Free Member

Particularly nasty compound tib and fib from m/bike accident 8 years ago here. Bones knitted together well enough, but also incurred lots of muscle and tissue damage and took 3 ops to patch/graft together what remained.

In theory the bone fuses together as strong as before and the metalwork becomes irrelevant, but my consultant warned that the plating and build up of scar tissue can make treatment of any further damage much more complex.

No reason your riding/fitness/ability should be compromised long term, but certainly worth considering the consequences of a repeat injury- worth wearing elbow pad armour?

ciron
    Free Member

Hi

Have you been told you can get back since your last thread?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/crash-bang-wollop-fractured-olecranon

I recall being told that the biggest risk is of crashing and getting a fracture at the end of the plate, rather than where it had previously broken, which as others have said is ‘fixed’ by the plate.

leth
    Free Member

I compound fractured my ulna and radius, got them plated pretty much as soon as I got to the hospital (Just over an hour after doing it I was down in theater).

I am fortunate that I have still got full movement as the initial break damaged some nerves, and had to be plated in a different position to normal.

It the took me a good 3 months to trust the arm in a crash and get confidence back on my local jumps.

I then had to have one of the plates out the year after as it was causing pain. That was another month to get full strength back.

I did it about 14 years ago now and currently have no aches or pains from it.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I knocked the end off my ulna. The surgeon fixed it back with what I would describe as looking like a couple of tent pegs and some wire. The heads of the tent peg bits were under the skin but clearly visible and right on the end of my very tender elbow. I wore pads to protect them and give me a little more confidence. Take it easy though, better to wait a little longer than necessary than make your injury last even longer.

mountainmatt
    Free Member

Thanks for replies.
    My arm feels fine. No pain or swelling at all despite the surgeon saying it was a bad break. I have been out of plaster for a month and have been told gentle mobilization is ok. I guess the plate and screws are holding the break firmly enought… Personally id rather have had the cast for a few more weeks but I couldn’t argue…I’ve had no splint or cast since 2 weeks. The consultant stated after the op ‘ get it moving after two weeks’. I’m doing v gentle movement exercises. Tbh pretty scary that something will pop and back to square one. No weight bearing at all. Been back to the gym this week. Just keeping my bad arm out the way. Going back to the hospital Monday. Suppose that means 6 week X-rays and a check up. The worst of it at the mo is discomfort of the plate, not being able to pick the nipper up 😉 and the risk that because it feels ok I’ll forget and do something stupid.
    Thanks for info. Thanks p Jay very insightful.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Not elbow but fingers yes, got fixation screws and my fingers get stiff after a certain lengthy ride where the need to grip and hold on hard is required.

Can imagine it being more uncomfy with elbow metal mind.

hooli

😯

This mountain bike malarky is dangerous!

singlesteed
    Free Member

Part n parcel of it.

I wouldnt call it dangerous but fun and laugh it off. Then get up and master the moves next time.

ROUND 2!

mountainmatt
    Free Member

Update and advise if poss please. Doc said bone healing on X-ray and he said it’s already come together and that’s only 6 weeks…! No weight bearing for 3 months but was wondering at what point anyone actually pushed the physio (movemt exercises) as I’m thinking 6 wks is still early days.
    Cheers

marvpreston
    Free Member

Shattered my radial head at Stiniog at Christmas, and end up having a prosthetic replacement. Doctor said i might never get hand to my mouth again. I thought f&*k that, I know my own body. Was like a challenge to get better to prove him wrong!!!
    I bought a recumbant hand cycle at an auction and it was the best thing I ever did. Doctor was amazed at almost full recovery at 6 month review. The physio told me that the worst thing with joint injuries is the lack of mobility during the healing process. That’s why, where possible, they encourage you to work on mobility ( without any load bearing) as soon as possible. I only had my brace on for 1 week and started on the cycle. It helped me extend my range of motion, with minimal pain. Obviously I’m no professional but thought my personal experience may help!?!
    Hope it goes well!!

mountainmatt
    Free Member

Cheers Marv

mountainmatt
    Free Member

How’s everyone doing ?
    For me 9 weeks post op. Started swimming (well, wouldn’t really call it swimming;) ) this week and been on the turbo trainer twice. I can carry a cup of tea left handed and overall no pain, just a general achy feeling. Elbow is about 10′ off full flexion and I can just about pick my nose left handed.
    The next question is how soon until I can get the plate and screws out ?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Riding with metalwork #elbow’ is closed to new replies.