Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riding with dslr
  • bazep
    Free Member

Does anyone?
    I’m keen to pursue my two hobbies but bricking it I land on my pride and joy when I stack it.
    It you do how to you protect/carry it?

honourablegeorge

Been wondering about this myself – was thinking of buying one of those Panasonic not-quite-SLRs, they’re less bulky and easier to manage. Dunno if they’re any good, though.

Conqueror
    Free Member

was thinking of buying one of those Panasonic not-quite-SLRs, they’re less bulky and easier to manage. Dunno if they’re any good, though.

It will be fine… Panasonic G3 in capable hands…

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&thread=39153725

martymac

i have nikon d5000, i put it in my camelbak mule.
    its insured, i dont do it if it even might rain tho.

Freester

Mmm I take my Canon 400d and kit lens or old Canon 35mm and 50mm 1.8 lens and bw film in my mule. The good stuff stays at home when I am riding. That said my old point and shoot Ixus doesn’t do a bad job when I leave my slr behind.

richpips
    Free Member

Clip your DSLR case to your rucksack straps with mini carabiners.

Or get one of the Panasonic GFs. Good enough in anything other than poor light where they struggle.

meehaja
    Free Member

I do, but with the following precautions…

camera wrapped in T-shirt in normal back pack (more to stop it bouncing around rather than offer any particular protection, Cheap old Lens used (I use an old Nikon 24-70, lovely lens only cost £25…) and I tend to take it easy on the trails (no jumps, trails I know etc)

If I’m wanting “big view” type photos these tend to be all day epics where I ride quite relaxed anyway, if Its rider pictures then Its usually a case of finding a good spot then getting riding mates to come past and hit big jump/berm etc several times.

I have a padded lowe pro bag for the DSLR but I don’t want to get it muddy!

tlr

If I ride with my 40d and 24-105 then I use an Ortlieb Aqua Zoom with chest harness. It’s padded, waterproof and means you can access the camera quickly without messing about in your rucsac.

Ewan
    Free Member

I ride with my DSLR all the time, and have done for years (350D, 30D and now a 7D). Crashed on it umpteen times and they’re fine – no idea why people think they’re so fragile – mines insured anyway so sod it, may as well use it.

I used to use a Camelbak Hawg (and then a Havoc) + a lowepro holster (T20 I think) for the 350d / 30d / 7d with a Sigma 17-70 lens inside it. Which was fine, for a big day out it was normally:

Pump
    Tube
    Camera
    Coat
    Food
    3L of water
    Multi tool
    Assorted crap

Now i’ve brought a 2.8 lens (17-55mm 2.8) decided it was a bit of a squeeze in the Camelbak and the holster wasn’t big enough. I’ve now got a Dakine Apex (not as comfy as the Hawg but not bad) and a Kata 14DL holster (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Kata-Grip-12-DL-Holster-Black/p1525519?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Bags-_-Pouches-and-Cases-_-Kata-Grip-12-DL-Holster-Black_1525519). Plenty of room in the Apex, if I can be bothered I could shove a flash in as well – normally I tihnk i’m carrying enough weight as it is!

Anyway, normal routine is razz off before my mates, back pack off, holster already undone, camera out and good to shoot in about 25 seconds. Something of an art i’ll admit!

As I say, they’re well protected in the backpack anyway – the holsters just to keep the dust and crap away. And they’re pretty robust in my experience anyway.

http://www.flicker.com/photos/ewanpanter/ for some photos!

tollah
    Free Member

I ride with either a 400d ir 30d couple if lenses and remote flash stuff all chucked in my rucksac. I’ve had an off the back moment landed on my 400d and 10mm lens, camera fine but the lens has a small amount of damage, nothing major. That’s 1 off in around 5 years of carrying the stuff that’s resulted in any damage.

flow
    Free Member

I ride with my 5D MK2 and L lens round my neck.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Decent contents away from home cover and just stick it in your hydration pack. Put it in a waterproof stuffsack if rain is a possibility.

cookeaa

I always thought DSLRs on the trails were the preserve of “Fat Friends” you know the chap who’s mates can all ride while he’s happier to document their adventures and eat some pies…

Honestly Trundling around the trails with 8Lbs of Camera Equipment worth more than your bike is comical at best…

Just get a reasonable compact and save the fancy camera for poncing about trying to look “Pro” when you take the Kids to the Zoo Special occasions…

flow
    Free Member

^ dumbass

GaryLake
    Free Member

I always thought DSLRs on the trails were the preserve of “Fat Friends” you know the chap who’s mates can all ride while he’s happier to document their adventures and eat some pies…

I’m 75kgs and my line of work extends to photography and video, plus my friends are generally really appreciative of it, and I managed a few stages of the TransWales this year with it in my bag, and placed alright. Plus, a 550d and a lens really doesn’t weigh anything like 8lbs.

But thanks for asking!

I always thought not taking a camera out on the trail was the preserve for “billy no-mates” with some chip on his shoulder and a point to prove by being so AWESOME. You’re not Surf-Matt are you?

Oh… 😉

wors

cookeaa – Member

Honestly Trundling around the trails with 8Lbs of Camera Equipment worth more than your bike is comical at best…

Just get a reasonable compact and save the fancy camera for poncing about trying to look “Pro” when you take the Kids to the Zoo Special occasions…

🙄 🙄

stumpy01

If you want your camera to hand so you can quickly get to it without having to take your pack off, I recommend something like the Think Tank Digital Holster and chest harness.

I got one a couple of years ago & it’s great. The harness is discreet enough that you don’t really feel it under your pack & is adjustable enough that you can get the pack to sit just where you want it. I went for the Digital Holster 10, which is just big enough for a D80 with 18-135 lens, although it extends and will accept my 70-300 without any bother too. The body is a bit of a squeeze though, so if you have a bigger camera I’d go up a size. It comes with a shoulder strap, a soft flap to protect the back of your camera (display) from scratches, an internal divider to get everything snug & a waterproof cover.

Looks like this:

although this is different to my one. The harness has been updated and looks a bit more substantial.
    Premier-Ink do the whole range, I think.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I put my 350D in the small prism shaped kit bag on the chest strap of my rucksack with a small extra home made second chest strap to stop the bottom flapping. works well and and I soon forget about it being there.

good for quick access, I found in the rucksack a PITA and I ended up not taking many photos as I couldn’t get it out quick enough when I wanted too/gave up and couldn’t be arsed with getting it in/out.

stumpy01

29erKeith – Member
    good for quick access, I found in the rucksack a PITA and I ended up not taking many photos as I couldn’t get it out quick enough when I wanted too/gave up and couldn’t be arsed with getting it in/out

That’s why I went for the above, although that must be a large bag, as mine doesn’t look half as bulky as that!

I keep meaning to take some pics of it to stick on here.

JPcapel
    Free Member

I for a while took my dSLR out on rides, splitting the lens off the body to make it fit within a fairly compact camelbak. I then considered a chest bag but decided this would hinder my riding and didnt like the idea of crashing with that on my front.

I then got a Panasonic GF1 and took this out with a pancake lens fitted. Got better pictures/results, the HD filming was superior on the GF1 Vs my Canon 500D, you can leave the pancake lens on and it weighs bugger all.
    I have since acquired the new Panasonic GF3 model with a 14mm wide angle pancake lens. The results are awesome for such a small bit of kit.
    Video shot Sunday morning just gone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tafFcQRsmM

I would now feel odd taking the bulk of a dSLR out with me.
    I also have a decent Panasonic compact TZ8, which does filming, but the GF3 is so much better I prefer to take this as the best compromise for riding shots/filming. The GF range make most sense when used with a pancake lens as it then retains its compact sizing. The zoom lens make the camera seem chunky once fitted and no longer able to effortlessly slip into a camelbak.
    Hope this helps.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Not a chance!!!!!

bazep
    Free Member

nice one chaps
    quite an array of views ta
    I might venture out with some minimal kit on a straightforward trail and see how I feel about having it on my back. Fortunately it’s a decent level body so should stand any minor knocks and weather issues.

question for the chest wearers – do you not find it a bit of a pain going back and forth on climbs etc or even smacking your bars?

stumpy01

bazep – Member

question for the chest wearers – do you not find it a bit of a pain going back and forth on climbs etc or even smacking your bars?

I take it you mean the pack swinging back & forwards while climbing?
    I haven’t found it to be a problem with the Think Tank thingy. The harness can be tightened from above the bag & below, so you can tighten it right up, just how you need to (it’s not like the bottom of the bag is free to swing back & forth). I have never found it gets close enough to the bars to whack them, although it could do if you were going up some very steep stuff I suppose.
    You can adjust the vertical position of the bag, so can have it sat quite high on your chest or down nearer your belly. I was concerned that the bottom of the bag would hit my thighs while pedalling, but again, I haven’t ever noticed this.

bazep
    Free Member

hmm, i think the missus might start divorce proceedings if I get another camera bag.

footflaps

I ride with a D7000 in my Camelbak – no padding, just stuffed in the top – never had a problem even with a few off…

vrapan
    Free Member

I have a K-5 which is really well made and weather resistant and also has some great tiny prime lenses which together with the relatively small for a semi pro DSLR made for a portable and light package. I took it with me in the South Downs and I managed to take all of 100 pics over 3 days mainly because despite the size I had to stop, take my camelbak off rotate it to my chest open take the camera out take the pic put the camera back in rotate the camelab put it back on…

After this experience I will investigate something like a waist bag that could just fit my K-5 and a couple of primes so at least you don’t have to take off the camelbak just swing the waist bag around and you got your camera though not so sure how much better it would be in terms of obstructing your riding.

So with all that in mind I think unless your purpose is to ride ahead of a pack of riders to take some pics of them then a DSLR is not the best option for occasional photos while you ride past something you think is worth snapping. If I was not worried I’d get thrown out the window by the SO if I buy yet another camera I’d go out and get a GF1/2,G3, E-P(L)3 and a 14mm or 20mm pancake lens. That way it can go into a biggish jacket / shorts pocket and it is available to you straight away.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riding with dslr’ is closed to new replies.