Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Riding with cough
  • saxabar
    Free Member

I know, it’s come up a few times (boom-tish), but will I die (or develop pneumonia)?

Have a paid-for lesson and uplift at BPW on Friday, but have had a persistent tickly cough this week. Worse through the night, no phlemg and feeling slightly out of sorts (i.e. not inclined to fairly high level of daily exercise). Been for a pedal up the hill and fine, but clearly a bit different to a full day out. As I’m travelling from N.Wales I have accommodation booked too for Thursday night, so keen not to waste it. That said, I’d much prefer not to be out action for weeks/months!

mildbore

Go, of course, and deal with the consequences (if any). It’s booked and it’s an uplift day!

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s uplifted = i’d do it.

Akers

Go. Once you get the wheels turning and the adrenaline flowing you’ll wonder what you were worried about. Take on some extra energy and caffine just to be sure. 😀

brakes
    Free Member

just don’t exert yourself and breathe too hard and run the risk you get a chest infection. try to keep it in your sinuses.

saxabar
    Free Member

Liking the consensus here! Extra energy and caffeine noted. Have today and tomorrow to take it very easy too.

eskay

My son’s coach always says if anything you are coughing up/snotting out is not clear then do not ride.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In theory you shouldn’t be riding cardio too much going downhill.

All I would say though is that colds slow reactions, and make you feel weaker, so be careful!

saxabar
    Free Member

Not coughing anything up (yay) but reactions probably not on point. Reckon when wheels are turning and I’m having fun, all will be well. Guess I can always bail on the day if I do feel awful.

thomthumb
    Free Member

It’s uplifted = i’d do it.

In theory you shouldn’t be riding cardio too much going downhill.

have you two done a bike park? I tend to go above threshoold HR in about 10 seconds and stay there all the way to the bottom.

vitamin c + zinc to ward off a cold. I’ve had a similar cold and the fuzzy head would put me off.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Any respiratory infection south of the neck, don’t ride or do any cardio exercise, or do it and expect no sympathy. 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

have you two done a bike park? I tend to go above threshoold HR in about 10 seconds and stay there all the way to the bottom.

Indeed.

I’m not sure you can turn (what is probably a viral) tickle cough into a (bacterial) pneumonia just through exertion. If anything, I’d think airflow would help. You might feel like crap but the alternative is to miss it completely? No brainier for me.

fifeandy
    Free Member

have you two done a bike park?

No bike parks, but more than enough trail centres, MTB marathons, endurance races etc.
    Going down is WAAAAY easier on the cardio than going up (unless you are going down screaming STRAAVAAAA as loud as possible).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can turn (what is probably a viral) tickle cough into a (bacterial) pneumonia just through exertion. If anything, I’d think airflow would help. You might feel like crap but the alternative is to miss it completely? No brainier for me.

I’ve given myself pneumonia (too much time outside whilst already a little ill) and ended up in hospital.

Not sure a days bike riding with the right clothes would necessarily give you pneumonia, but TBH if it was going to make me feel even more crap, my chances of crashing would be higher (lack of oxygen and generally just not with it) and the cold is going to take even longer to shake off, I’d spend the day at home with a hot drink and a book!

Having said that, I find a good long ride sometimes acts as the ‘kill or cure’ to get over a stubborn cold that’s on it’s way out, presumably the further elevated body temp kicks it over the edge).

unless you are going down screaming STRAAVAAAA as loud as possible

Is there any other way?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Riding with cough’ is closed to new replies.