Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Riding with a pro
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

topic is PRO rider not POO rider
    HTH

grum
    Free Member

Did an uplift day that Neil Donoghue was also on – not sure seeing him disappear in seconds really counts as riding with him though. Chatted to Fabian Barel and Remy Absalon while doing the Avalanche Enduro at Kielder a few years ago. Also did a skills day with Andy Barlow – dunno if that counts.

Quite a few pros a row or two in front of me in the Mega qualifier.

So, er…. no not really.

mugsys_m8

Dannybgoode…just realised who you are Danny B fixie brooks handlebar tape. I bought a,shimano rear wheel off you…..?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Well yesterday I passed Contador on a ride, he was going the other way 🙂

wingnuts

As a junior in the seventies I used to clip onto the back of two chain gangs that went through our area. One was led by Hugh Porter and one by Les West. Both were tolerant of people joining as long as there was no disruption of the pace and flow. I was never there long enough to do either. Various others other the year. The single factor I’d comment on is the smooth application of power. Nothing flash, calm extreme power.

teethgrinder

Was in a group of four at one of the old Kielder Moore Large Enduros in the early 90’s.. I somehow managed to get stuck behind Caroline Alexander for most of the ride.

tang
    Free Member

I pussied out of a training ride with UK youth last season. All nice guys but not a chance, I’ve been in the car and when they drop it its fast and very constant.
    My good mate that I ride with is a previous malverns winner at sport level and has clocked top times at mayhem and the like. So so smooth, just never loses speed through anything. Coupled with climbing power it’s quite awe inspiring. I sometimes wonder why he even bothers riding with me! Always a good learning experience.

tang
    Free Member

teethgrinder – Member
    Was in a group of four at one of the old Kielder Moore Large Enduros in the early 90’s.. I somehow managed to get stuck behind Caroline Alexander for most of the ride.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

😯

titusrider
    Free Member

Athertons training day at llangdegna – very informative and impressive, learnt a lot!

Also won a comp to ride with Rapha condor sharp – spent a lot of the ride chatting to Johnathan Tiernan Locke about mtbing and Uni’s and various bits and pieces, really nice guy and hope he makes the step up in Sky this season

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/video-six-readers-ride-with-rapha-condor-sharp-33095/
    That’s me in the windy milla top!

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Did a ride with Dean Downing around the Yorkshire Dales. Top bloke too!

catvet
    Free Member

Josh Bryceland and some of his mates, So fast, so smooth, commitment in corners ,outrageous skills.
    Inspiring and depressing as some one said earlier!
    But a real privilege to ride with such talent.

Kryton57

I bumped into Ian Stannard mid ride, he’d stopped for some reason. He said hi, asked if I was enjoying my ride then before I could get clipped in was 200m over the top of the hill in front of us. 😯

Nice chap.

Sancho
    Free Member

ridden with lots of cycling pro’s but it wasnt until I did a training day with Graham Jarvis that I had to stand back and just go “wow”

He is just unbelievable.

totally in awe of the man

teethgrinder

…I wasn’t stuck as she was slow BTW. I was 14/15…she was well fit.

😈

MoreCashThanDash

I beat Ben Swift a couple of years back.

(When I say “beat”, I mean the event stats had DNF against his name rather than mine!)

tonyg2003

Ridden with a few Pros and been in races with them. Sean Yates (at the end of his career and just after he retired)used to come to the local thursday handicaps. One night I jumped out of the bunch and got a gap, to see a rider coming across. I almost went back to the bunch. 15miles with Yates and me doing a two up from then on. Ouch!

footflaps

I’ve ridden chain gangs with a Rapha pro rider on EPO, Dan Staite. Couldn’t meet a less pleasant person. Made me smile when he was caught cheating and banned for 2 years….

Ladders
    Free Member

Roadies or MTB’ers?

I’ve ridden with

Cav – at Hog Hill
    Magnus Backstead – on the London to Paris ride. he did us a leadout for one of the sprints, which was pretty awesome!
    Stephen Roache – on the London to Paris again, sat next to him in the bunch but was to shy to chat to him!
    Lucy Garner – Was back home and riding the local club run and she came along. She was ‘just’ Junior Cyclo Cross champion at the time.

I was in Belgium last month to see a friend who mechanic’s for a Pro team. He asked some of the riders if I could go out for a ride with them so I ended up riding with Emilie Moberg (who rides for team Hitec Products), Audun FLØTTEN & Sondre SØRTVEIT ) who ride for Team Joker Meridia. Emilie was reccying the Mollenburg cobbled climb for the womans Tour of Flanders, so got to climb that with them (and I wasn’t last!).

Rode at Hillingdon last night and we had half of the Sigma Sport team there.

bigdawg
    Free Member

matt Illingworth (commonwealth gold medalist – so I guess he counts) – used to live locally and Id love to say I used to go out riding with him, but I used to start off with him and then him and Jason White (currently in Halfords TOB) used to bugger off and Id never see them again?!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve done a few Gran Fondos, there are quite a few ex Pros in these, some take the event quite seriously indeed. Me and my mates just try to kill each other..

Ladders
    Free Member

matt Illingworth (commonwealth gold medalist – so I guess he counts) – used to live locally and Id love to say I used to go out riding with him, but I used to start off with him and then him and Jason White (currently in Halfords TOB) used to bugger off and Id never see them again?!

He Matt Illingworth came out on the Beeston Chaingang I used to do back in the day when I was at Derby Uni

RoterStern
    Free Member

I often go on out on some road training rides with some ex German road pros. Two of them were Olympic gold medalists.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Rode with this very nice Lady in October, I was awarded an Olympic medal in “Belly sucking in”

Also a previous [in yellow] winner of the Vuelta, even at 73 kept to the front at average 18MPH for 80 Miles.

Year before that it was a Tour winner, not friend Helen but the geezer behind, btw he out sprinted me to the finish.

Rode with this man 2 years ago

aracer
    Free Member

Just remembered another one – I’ve ridden, run and kayaked with Emma Pooley. This was before she was a pro cyclist, and she was actually a better runner than cyclist at the time – I was pacing her up the climbs on the bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a pro’ is closed to new replies.