Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riding with a hangover – yay or nay?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

A bit of overindulgence last night has left me feeling a bit worst for wear today.
    I had planned a few hours out on the bike, but can’t bring myself to do it yet. Last time I had a hangover this bad I wasn’t really able to focus properly and spent a lot of my ride falling off or messing up.

Do you ride with a hangover or just nurse it in bed?

chvck
    Free Member

Depends how hung over I am and what I’m riding. I’ll ride XC if I’m not really badly hungover, won’t go near any DH if I’m hanging though!

grumm
    Free Member

Last time I rode with a hangover I felt absolutely awful and didn’t really enjoy it.

chrisdb
    Free Member

MTFU. Do a long XC route and sweat it out on the uphills.

Just remember that you are even more dehydrated than normal so you need to drink loads.

the-muffin-man

I’ve found it the best way to get rid of one!

You’ll feel like absolute shite for an hour or so, but after that you’ll be fine.

_tom_
    Free Member

I never bother doing any proper riding hung over, it’s just not enjoyable. Road riding is about the most I can handle, anything technical with a fuzzy head just means something bad will happen.

alexpalacefan

+1 for the drinking plenty of water, you will be de-hydrated.

I often ride hungover, if I didn’t I’d rarely get out on the bike at all!

APF

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

having got into MTBing as a uni student I started all my rides with a hangover. I remember once riding and feeling odd and eventually realising it was because I didnt have a hangover 😛

Used to ride in north wales (went to liverpool uni) so rides always began with a long climb, so it was a painful start but usually by the time I’d got to the top the hangover had gone.

Mackem

If it’s a beer hangover a bike ride will help, if its due to spirits or wine dont bother.

swavis

I’d still go out but shorten the ride so you feel better when you get back home, but don’t feel guilty for wasting a day not riding 8)

lucien

Don’t do it – head may be better, god knows what’s going on internally though……

mudmonster
    Free Member

Only tried it once with a really big one. Had to abandon the ride after about the 3rd puke.

j_me
    Free Member

Ride but don’t moan about how shit you feel unless everyone else is hangover too.

GW
    Free Member

always! if I don’t get shitfaced the night before a big ride I will always die towards the end.
    I find I wheelie effortlessly when proper hungover, you know, when you’re so bad you can’t stand without swaying. not sure why.

spacemonkey

Depends how bad you’re feeling. Most of my hangover-laden rides have been pretty decent in the end, including a cracking session at Afan after a heavy night in Neath. Heavy legs and generally feeling sh1t aren’t good though.

donsimon
    Free Member

Never really suffered from hangovers, I would imagine a quick ride out followed by a couple of pints and a quick ride home should be fine. What’s the worst that could happen?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

One of the best bike rides I ever had was one where I was spewing my ring as my mate arrived at the door to pick me up. GT black.

RealMan
    Free Member

Rode a 60 something mile road sportive whilst hanging like a ****. Wasn’t able to eat anything before hand, and didn’t manage to eat anything until I was past the finish line, I was worried I would throw up on my bike. Didn’t feel great, but didn’t kill me.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I would imagine all of the people saying getting out and ride its the best thing for it dont really suffer from what I would call a proper hangover.

If the hangover is just a bad headache and feeling a bit dehydrated then I can see the argument that doing a bit of exercise will raise the heart rate yourll drink more (and probably pee more] generally speeding up your system and helping remove the remaining alcohol.

However want I would normally call a bad hangover seems to be a result of the alcohol interfering with my albity to manage my blood sugar level. I’ll feel nauseah and generally weak. Doing any exercise here will tend to make me feel much worse and extend the life of the hangover plus my body will be too busy trying to recover from the hangover that I dont think I’ll get any benefit from the exercise.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Rode a 60 something mile road sportive whilst hanging like a ****. Wasn’t able to eat anything before hand, and didn’t manage to eat anything until I was past the finish line, I was worried I would throw up on my bike. Didn’t feel great, but didn’t kill me

But your fitness probably didnt improve although this may be good for losing weight.

RealMan
    Free Member

But your fitness probably didnt improve

I don’t know about that TBH, I was still working pretty hard throughout the ride, but yeah, if you do eat nothing and exercise you will lose weight (I know – how crazy is that???).

Keva
    Free Member

pretty much all of my w/end rides begin with a bit of a hangover. Having a few beers has never stopped me, been doing it for twenty odd years.

Kev

ronjeremy
    Free Member

As above depends on how severe the hangover is, alternatively do what I did at SSUK this year and drink through it, combination of Stella before and Real Ale at the mid way beer stop followed by Laphroig, then more when I’d finished, hell I even won something for turning up a race registration with a beer, however the next day was even worse and the drive back (as a passenger I may add) wasn’t helped by the full fry up before hand. The question now is did you ride today and if so how’d you get on?

chiefgrooveguru

I almost ended up doing this with the mother of all hangovers, having spent the morning repeatedly visiting the facilities in a hotel room, missing breakfast, having to drive home paranoid that I may still be over the limit and then having two hours to become human again before going out riding. What saved me was possibly the best hangover cure ever – a v large bowl of golden syrup laden porridge and an isotonic energy drink – miraculous! (And this hangover was no. 2 on my list of bad hangovers, second only to one from a stag night a while back, and an order of magnitude worse than any I had in my teens or twenties…) So almost but no – but I recommend the cure!

IA

If riding with a hangover was such a bad idea, it’s amazing there are any uni cycling clubs. But there are lots. Man up you’ll be fine. Or you’ll chunder, but then you’ll be fine.

Just keep it a short one if you’re proper hanging.

Stu_N

Ride hungover all the time (well, weekends anyway). Usually hurts like hell at first but it seems to accelerate the hangover and I feel far better at the end of the ride than I did before. Just make sure I drink plenty of fluid and eat something when I feel able.

There’s only been one time when it didn’t work, mate’s leaving dinner before he went to NZ – one of the worst hangovers of my life. Roomspin, shakes, cold sweats, couldn’t eat or drink anything, then had the boak, then the dry boak, forced myself out and felt like shit before, during and after. Only perked up with a gin that evening.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a hangover – yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.