Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Riding with a cold will make it worse?
  • woodsman
    Free Member

I ought to know the answer to this, but in a world of snot I can’t seem to find that answer.

A sunny weekend, up early, want to ride, must have lost a litre of snot during the night 😉

Confused and down on awesomeness

?

riddoch

General rule if its above the neck it will be fine, if its below give it a rest.
    Personally I find if its just a head cold being outside helps.

xcretro
    Free Member

I think it helps. Went out with cold and chest infection the other month and seemed to help. Although the top elite xc racers don’t race when Ill as they say there’s no point as it does affect performance. If it’s just that gotta get out on the bike itch you gotta scratch then do it!

jekkyl

Get out there, you’re a long time dead, sleep then. Dose up before you go & take a hip flask!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Chest don’t ride, above chest you can ride as tolerated.Things to bear in mind, you may have a fever which will make controlling temperature difficult and also your pulse rate will already be elevated due to your body fighting the infection. If it’s just come on the cold in the past 48 hours don’t ride, however if it’s from last week and just the remains go for it.

I had a nasty cold two weeks ago, resting pulse was 105, blood pressure 155/105, 38.4 temp. I was promptly told to go home from work and rest.

Plenty of paracetamol to ease the fever (if you have one) and lots of water.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Makes it a bit worse IME but never made myself properly ill by it.

woodsman
    Free Member

Some great as in responses I want to hear so far – thanks!

Pulse is definitely higher, can feel it without checking. Had the cold in a very mild form for over a week – perhaps week and half. Have been riding but keeping to a low to moderate output when I have to (climbs), which has been fine. Thought it was going to pass soon, then yesterday just masses of nasal congestion and complete snot-fest. Not coughing…yet, so think I’ll try for another mild ride later, and hope for a longer effort tomorrow when it’s proper sunny.

Don’t think I’m up to 105 resting pulse, perhaps 70-80 as a guesstimate

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dont, it significantly slows my recovery.

onehundredthidiot

I’m with al on this one. Sofa, duvet, rugby, no alcohol and chill out. It’ll be sunny soon enough. Better to be illness free soon than have it drag on for weeks.

Basil

Turned my average cold into what felt like 19 century diphtheria

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Stay home, Same as others,went out riding with a mild cold,next day was total snot fest with chest infection..

eskay

Did track league tuesday night with a cold and it nearly killed me!

woodsman
    Free Member

Haven’t made it out yet, dropped off in the chair after snot jettison night time activities. Think I’ll watch some crap television and reassess later afternoon – maybe a pootle will help heal the mind more than the body!

Interesting observation, that the early morning people were all for riding with a cold, late morning definitely not so. Does that mean that early risers are more prone to risk taking than later risers? Could be a topic of research for someone…… 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Am wondering the same as the OP.

My current cold started 3 weeks ago with gallons of snot, sinus ache and coughing. The coughing has subsided, however, the snot gravitated to my inner ear tubes a week ago and my hearing is distinctly muffled, aided with ever present tinnitus, Furthermore, my voice has gone to a whisper too.

Given the above/below neck rule of thumb, does the voice constitute as below? No sore throat.

Im desperate to get out, its going to be a gorgeous weekend, but I don’t fancy setting myself back any further by going out for a ride.

Whats the consensus please?

xcretro
    Free Member

I’m one of the early morning posters and I say get out ya big jessies!!

irc

Easy paced short ride? Go out but don’t push hard.

I tried my first jog yesterday after a week of cold. No after effects today.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Pretty sure I fainted last time I went out with a cold.

I did the Rule 5 thing and went out and did intervals on a big hill. Started feeling a bit drained, then next thing I know, I’m waking up from what feels like a very deep sleep on the verge.

Bike was carefully placed upright against a tree such as not to damage the paint, so I obviously had some sense about me before I keeled over 😀

woodsman
    Free Member

hahaha – xcretro, I have up to now done exactly that but, this being my third cold in 12 months (all quite chunky) I’m starting to feel as though I need to listen to my body a bit more as I age. Dilemma!

mechanised

I find just go out for an hour for a pootle about just so you’re riding and don’t do anything too strenuous shouldn’t make you feel any worse or slow your recovery.

Then if you feel ok go out again later so you’re not draining your energy too much in one go.

Northwind

It might make it worse, it might not but it’s never much fun imo, I’m having a day off. And later on, discovering if Mogwai will drive the virus out of my body, or kill me.

Kryton57

My sore throat turned into a hacking cough overnight. I’ve two Z2 turbo sessions this weekend which has turned into a rest day today then a real easy z2 outside tomorrow for a couple of hours. I’m racing next weekend, I need my legs turning but also need to be well.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

My downfall is that i smoke and have High Blood Pressure as standard. So any infections i do get seem to floor me. But luckily i very rarely get them. This is the first bad cold i’ve had in 3/4 years, the last one was full blown Flu which floored me for three weeks, couldn’t even muster the energy to get out of bed for week, only got out to go to the toilet.

Had a flu Jab yearly ever since (All NHS staff in our trust do) kidney infection put me in hospital due to a infected cyst.

Trimix
    Free Member

I find easy rides are OK, but when my lungs are half full of snot they just dont provide enough breath when the going gets tough.

I now wait till its almost gone and then just do very easy rides and nothing that requires full power.

woodsman
    Free Member

The deed is done, back from a 13 mile pootle around the woods of Box Hill. Too early to tell what difference it has made, and I could have stayed out for much longer, which I’m taking as a good sign *crosses fingers*. I feel much happier though, a couple of lovely dry descents were had!

Good luck with everyone else’s cold/flu – here’s to summer!

oldboy
    Free Member

A member of my old running club ran the London Marathon while suffering from a very bad cold. He collapsed on the course and was hospitalised for two weeks with a heart rate of 200+. He recovered, but never ran again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a cold will make it worse?’ is closed to new replies.