Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Riding with a cold
  • ratherbeintobago

I have a cold (such are the perils of having children in nursery) and a nasty productive cough.

What is the panel’s view on going out riding like this? I am wary of wheezing my way up the local hills and making it worse.

Or should I just apply Rule 5?

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t be silly. You have nothing to prove to anyone and if you lose fitness, it will be at around a third of the rate you gain it. You need to rest and recuperate and stressing your body by riding in freezing weather with a cold can make you much worse.

antigee

every time I see this question I post the same old story about a friend who went fell running with a cold and ended up in intensive care, pulled through but very scary

get some fresh air, maybe a walk – but no rule 5 and no hills and no intense stress to the body

…and welcome to the “look what i brought home from school/nursery” club

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Though to be honest, with a kid at nursery at this time of year, I’d never be riding if I avoided going out when there was any symptoms of a cold…..our whole house have all had cold symptoms of varying degrees of severity since Christmas.

cakefacesmallblock

Personally, I’d sit it out.
    Many moons ago, I was of the ‘ just get on with it Brigade’.
    One too many days just getting wet and cold ( windsurfing at the time), with what seemed like a mild cold , resulting in a chest infection which took three months and much rest and antibiotics , put me firmly in the get rid of it first camp.

I also lost a friend ,some years ago, in his late twenties, who died from complications with a chest infection. He had continued to train with what was originally a bit of a sniffle.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Depends if it’s full on Man Flu or not.

I’m getting through the remains of the annual cold picked up from the healthy activity of going skiing in the fresh air. i.e. catching it from cold ridden people on planes and buses 👿

Despite feeling shitty, sniffles and stuff, I’m determined to get on the bike and to be honest when I do I feel much better while riding. Obviously if it’s a nasty chesty cough and you might be wheezing while riding then maybe not.

Was always told by my parents as a kid that it’s better to get some fresh air. Probably rubbish, but then I also swear by the feed a cold rule which is also likely rubbish but feels good. More so doing the “nuke it with a curry” 😀

As for windsurfing, never done it myself but yeah I’d give that a miss. A lot more going on there to get a chest infection, even if you don’t have a cold in the first place.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

It all ways slows me down, but clears the head, a good sweat gets all that snot flowing, snort & spit away, not pleasant but you will feel the world better! 😳

pondo

Had a rough cold when we went away after new year’s, weekend in Anglesey – didn’t feel like walking at all, but a few hours tramping about did make me feel better. 🙂

I wouldn’t bother riding, unless it was a gentle pootle.

Yak

I wouldn’t ride unless it was a gentle ride with my kids. I’ve sat out both Gorricks so far this year already with colds and bugs picked up from my kids. That’s reality, and there’s always riding to be had in a few days time when you are better.

cbikegee87
    Free Member

Don’t do it! You’ll only end up regretting it…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Listen to your body, be honest with yourself. If you feel up to it, go for a ride. If you don’t, stay at home. Deep down you’ll know which option is right.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve always gone with the : “If it’s in the head then go ahead, if it’s in the chest then give it a rest” test.

Whether there’s any scientific basis for it, dunno.

bigmick25
    Free Member

+1 for “If it’s in the head then go ahead, if it’s in the chest then give it a rest” I did a little research on the web last year when suffering from Manflu and there is a load of articles written on this and virtually all of the medical authority backs the above basic rule.

brassneck

I think if I was genuinely wheezing up the hills I’d go home, but I’ve got a bit of a cold at the mo and a run made me feel a whole lot better, cleared my head up a bit, by blowing out 30cm booger streams every few metres.

ratherbeintobago

If I was just a bit snotty, I’d probably have gone for it. I’ve got a chesty productive cough though.

Drinking coffee, watching The Bridge, and failing to do anything useful…

Shackleton

As someone who was in a similar situation and tried to MTFU 3 time over the xmas/new year period I can safely say wait until you feel better and then wait another few days. I ended up with severe chest pains, racing and erratic heart beat just getting up from a chair, dizzyness and severe lethargy. nearly 4 months since the first symptoms and 6 weeks since the major ones went and I still have some of the problems. I reckon if I had been sensible I’d have been sorted within 4 weeks.

Just sit it out.

darkcyan
    Free Member

At the age of 49 I now realise it’s a very bad idea.

Having done the opposite ended up in A@E on a nubuliser.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a cold’ is closed to new replies.