Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Riding with a cold
  • richmtb

I've got a bit of a cold, the usual sore throat and the sniffles / headachey.

I normally ride to work but I left it yesterday annd today. I want to get back on the bike but don't want to lengthen the cold or make it worse.

There is widely differing advice on excercise and colds, some say avoid exercise completely others seem to subcribe to the theory of "killing" a cold with some exercise.

Whats everyones experience?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as soon as I start riding the symptoms vanish till the end of the ride 🙂

carlosg
    Free Member

I think the rule is, above the neck it's ok below the neck don't do it till the cold has gone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I decided to ride the fred whitton challenge whilst I had a cold, it wasnt too bad apart from having to stop at the top of every climb to unravel the mucus pouring from my nose and mouth.

richmtb

So as its just a head cold MTFU and just ride then!

Cool thanks

Hohum
    Free Member

You should be fine with just a head cold.

Riding with an URTI is not a good idea because as you breathe heavier the chances are that the URTI could go further down into your respiratory system and cause worse problems, think chest infection, etc.

Tinners

I NEVER exercise with a viral infection. I have it on good authority that you should not exercise when you've got a viral infection of any sort, irrespective of what side of the neck it finds itself (the causative virus doesn't stay one side of the line). Doesn't do your heart muscle any good when you push it when it's dealing with the effects of a viral infection. Unusual, it may be, but I know of at least 2 young, fit, healthy individuals who have keeled over stone dead after exercising with a concurrent viral infection. There will be plenty of the "never did me any harm" brigade to advise otherwise, I'm sure – and on most occasions you'll probably be fine – but I wouldn't do it myself and neither would others I know who speak with authority on the subject.

grumm
    Free Member

From my experience I reckon you end up spending more time off the bike in the long run if you ignore being ill. MTB is a pretty intense activity – you can forget that when you do it regularly.

iainc

rich – don't overdo it – remember what happended to me in July !

retro83
    Free Member

I personally avoid doing so now. anecdotal only but a couple of times Ive had a mild cold, been for a blast on the bike then couldnt seem to shake off the run-down feeling for weeks afterwards.

Drac

I usually just do and the last time it got rid of the feker once and for all after it had hung around for a week.

Entirely up to yourself and what 'authorities' you spoke to.

JonR
    Free Member

I got talked in to 90 minutes of football whilst I had a heavy cold. I thought it couldn't do me any harm and 2 days later I was in Hospital with pneumonia. They didn't have any room in any other ward so I was put in geriatrics. I watch 2 men die and the man in bed next to me had chronic emphysema and diarrhoea meaning I would be woken up in then night by his panting as he tried to raise enough energy to turn on his side before he shat over the side of his bed on in to a bed pan on the floor. To be fair to the old fella he wasn't a bad aim, it must have come from fighting Rommel in the desert which he didn't shut up about.

mimi123
    Free Member

I always go out even with a cold or worse and it always seems to improve it and shorten the cold by days – hope you feel better

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    I personally avoid doing so now. anecdotal only but a couple of times Ive had a mild cold, been for a blast on the bike then couldnt seem to shake off the run-down feeling for weeks afterwards.

Anecdotal as well, but that run-down feeling was probably to do with me grinding you into the dust rather than your cold.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gently is the key. Hard exercise when you have an infection can be damaging, gentle exercise with a cold probably helps clear the tubes. so no racing or beasting up huge hills but a gentle pootle might help.

yoda
    Free Member

How can anyone be qualified to give advice on what you should or shouldn't do when we haven't found a cure for it yet!

Most other diseases etc we can at least delay the effects if not completely cure, the common cold? The best we can do is advise people to MTFU!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Crikey, sounds like I was looking after doing the Fred Whitton. Could have died

richmtb

Thanks for the advice, I'm talking about a 7 mile commute to work.

I tend to ride it flat out, but I could just pootle tomorrow and see if it helps clear the head – might use the full sus. If I still feel shitty after the ride in tomorrow morning I can always take the train home.

retro83
    Free Member

GrunkaLunka – Member

Anecdotal as well, but that run-down feeling was probably to do with me grinding you into the dust rather than your cold.

An interesting way of interpreting me repeatedly dropping you 🙂

p.s. I caught my cold from yo' mamma

RealMan
    Free Member

as soon as I start riding the symptoms vanish till the end of the ride

+1. If I'm sneezing constantly, the moment I start riding or whatever, I stop.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Just got back from a ride while still suffering the effects of a cold. Hasn't done me any harm although i do have some chest discomfort with light headedness, fainting, sweating, nausea and shortness of breath. Oh and there's the anxiety, nervousness and cold, sweaty skin. And a bit of an increased and irregular heart rate. Also a feeling of impending doom.
    Other than that though 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Have you phoned your mum?

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Yeah thanks. She said that it's not how she'd wanted me to find out, but that the cold was much better.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Riding with a cold’ is closed to new replies.