Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding wharncliffe woods?
  • hilton83
    Free Member

Heard good things about wharncliffe woods and its only about an hour away but i cant seem to find any info on any of the trails?
    Is there any marked route trail center stylee or should i take an os map and use viewranger on my iphone to try and ensure i can still find my way home at the end?

ton

to get the best out of wharncliffe you need to ride with a local.

best stuff is all dh based. take a big bike, hand around the carpark untill someone in dh gear turns up, then follow them to the trails……. 😀

reedspeed
    Free Member

Steve Peats training ground that is,I’m
    Sure he does regular ride outs & tuition etc,try googling him
    For his website chief !.

andeh

It’s quite easy to find the good stuff, it’s all along one long, West facing slope. Loads of dh to be had for all different abilities. Find the “fast track” and work out from there. Folks are friendly and should point you in the right direction.

That said, it’ll be a quagmire at the moment, lots and lots of rain these last few days.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Steve Peats training ground that is,I’m
    Sure he does regular ride outs & tuition etc,try googling him
    For his website chief !.

thepodge
    Free Member

If it’s xc you’re after you’ll need a local to show you, there is about 100 foot of marked trail the rest is kind of hidden.

The dh is mainly all off the fire road so easy to find.

nosedive
    Free Member

If you are into general xc and trail riding tbh I wouldn’t bother from where you are, you will pass better stuff on the way that you can get stuck into for a couple of hours

if you want to ride some great downhill tracks there is everything there from really good starter stuff in greno woods to really advanced technical downhills. great fun.

everyone is friendly, get to the car park and ask for directions

hilton83
    Free Member

more into the general trail riding/exploring/xc stuff, ill give wharncliffe a miss until the marked out red route i have heard about is finished

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You may be in for a long wait hilton, as far as I know, Singletraction and Forestry Commission, or whatever they are called this week, have stopped XC development. The “hidden” trails are not difficult to find but I agree, going with a local is a good idea.

unstableJ
    Free Member

Yea unfortunately the Singletraction/Forestry Comission relationship at Wharncliffe broke down a few years ago without any real prospect of getting going again in the near future.

If you’re of an XC bent a lot of the stuff along the main hill might be a bit much and the stuff on parts of the top can be a bog.

Just go and explore, you can pretty much ride where you like (expect on the Chase) just be prepared for a fair bit of up and down to get the most out of it.

steveh

THe marked red route was finished but has lost a section to felling and others to overuse compared to what it was designed for. There is some very good xc in the woods if you’re willing to go exploring and get lost a bit and also more xc stuff over the road in Greno woods which is lots of fun.

thepodge
    Free Member

Took me three or four visits to find a full xc loop. Loads of people complain that all the climbs are fire roads but there are loads of good singletrack climbs.

Unfortunately some of them have been turned into dh runs now

mrparsnips
    Free Member

I went there last week while working away having never been before, I use ukbiketrails application and did just fine 🙂
    It was a sticky muddy mess on the down hill, the xc was good though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding wharncliffe woods?’ is closed to new replies.