Riding (walking/climbing/paddling) in Scotland? Yep – it's petitiontrackworld!

Home Forum Bike Forum Riding (walking/climbing/paddling) in Scotland? Yep – it's petitiontrackworld!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Riding (walking/climbing/paddling) in Scotland? Yep – it's petitiontrackworld!
  • Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

scotroutes – it’s a shame that it only applies to Scotland. I’m a member of a UK thyroid forum and there’s been a steady stream of thyroid sufferers being diagnosed with Lyme. Of course they’ve had to pay a huge amount of money to obtain tests from either USA or Germany for the diagnosis to be confirmed. NHS is woeful in this regard.

Can I as an English person sign this as it’s definitely worthwhile?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Sorry to add to the ongoing petition quota but this one is close to my heart(!)

Lymes

I’ve contracted Lymes (at least) twice and have been aware enough to do something about it. Many are less informed and many medical professionals are not fully up to speed of its extent and of the danger it poses. Making it a notifiable disease will give the government a better idea of how widespread it is and may be the first step on assigning suitable resources to dealing with it – increased public education, better medical training and possibly even better treatments.

I think this is important. Will you sign it too?

TIA

Premier Icon Shackleton
    Subscriber

Signed

Agree that it is important. Have noticed an increase in warning signs but GPs still seem very sceptical when you tell them what you think your symptoms mean.

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

Scotty, it’s Lyme, not Lymes.

c_g you may want to ride there, fair enough, and you’ve met a sufferer who probably caught it there.

LD -> Thyroid, there’s something to think about, thanks.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Oops – getting carried away with the keyboard there!

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

Just this once I’ll let you off. Don’t do it again.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

slowoldgit – I didn’t know whether Nicola had anything to do with the Petition! I’ve signed it, as an English person. There does seem to be an overlap with Lyme and thyroid, more neuro from what I’ve read but there’s more and more folk on the UK thyroid forum who’ve been ill for decades/all their life and are now getting the Lyme diagnosis. They’ve paid for their own testing via overseas labs. How are you getting on?

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Luckily the GP I saw when I had a bullseye rash after a bite was very Lyme savvy. There has been quite a bit about it in the press where I’m originally from in the Highlands, as lots of farmers have been affected, ignored symptoms and ended up very ill.

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

OK thanks, now a pensioner, hoping to move and working slowly towards it. Like others I have to budget the limited energy, I’m quite used to it. I probably get way more exercise than most of my age…

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

Monday morning. Again.

Premier Icon debaser
    Subscriber

tick signed

poah

its pretty well advertised and there are usually a load of posts on various different websites involved in the outdoors. 30% don’t show a rash which can make early diagnosis a problem and you also have to go to your doctor in the first place. People might just think they have a bad cold. Better education for the outdoors people would be a better idea.

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

It’s not just the outdoorsy people who need education…

During June, a couple of incidents in Nottingham provided an opportunity for a number of groups to coordinate for (eventual) patient and public benefit. A participant on the Facebook
    discussion forum run by Lyme Disease UK posted about a friend’s baby with an apparent erythema migrans rash following a tick bite. On presenting at A&E the mother had been told not only that ticks don’t bite babies under 1 year old but also that Lyme “doesn’t cause a bullseye rash, it causes a spotty rash on your tummy”.

Our help desk has a large collection of erroneous comments made by health professionals about Lyme disease, but those were new to us.
    The second incident, a day or so later, also raised on the same Facebook forum, was a nice clear erythema migrans which the GP (who had probably never seen one before) thought was a natural reaction to an insect bite. In this case the tick hadn’t been noticed – there was just a rash.

For both cases, contributors to the discussion board suggested contacting the LDA Help desk. Once we had first-hand information we were able to help both mothers. We talked to the GP of one who didn’t know that “Lyme disease had reached this far North”. This is a great advance on the usual “You can’t get that in the UK”, but does rather hamper a diagnosis. We also discussed with the health visitor of the other mother who was having problems getting a small child to take the medication.

… copied from the LDA website. I’ve messed up the pagination, and tried to straighten it. Any errors are mine.

Subscriber

I hope Scotroutes doesn’t mind me updating this.

The response from Shona Robinson MSP is ‘no’ to a meeting and ‘no’ to restoring Lyme to the status of a notifiable condition in Scotland.

The Petitioner is disappointed and will be replying in detail in a few days.

🙁

Subscriber

Bumpity bump. 🙂

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Hmmmmmmm, where to from here?

Subscriber

matt – would you like some of my cynicism? Have plenty to share!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Riding (walking/climbing/paddling) in Scotland? Yep – it's petitiontrackworld!’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top