Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding Trousers
  • ChrisL

I’d like to get some new riding trousers for commuting in. Trouble is, my waist is typically size M while my legs are more length XL. Every company I’ve found that makes riding trousers seems to think that leg length is proportionate to waist size, so offer me either half-masts or clown pants.

Altura trousers have adjustable leg length via a little drop down bit at the end of each leg, but (a) Altura only seem to be offering waterproof trousers and overtrousers these days, whereas I just want regular riding trousers, and (b) their quality has been pretty poor in the past.

Can anyone suggest any alternative trousers that may suit?

cinnamon_girl

I would look at Rose Bikes website. Huge range of sizes, they’re German. Or Ground Effect in NZ.

ton

endure urbans have long legs,

cinnamon_girl

Just had a quick look at Rose Bikes clothing, some of it’s reduced with postage just over £7. Like the different brands available, much more choice as well as loads of sizes.

Edit: have used them a few times without tears.

benp1

How do you define are riding trousers?

Or maybe more specifically, describe what you’re after

ChrisL

Like baggy shorts, but trouser length. 🙂

Windproof and generally durable is nice. Pockets are necessary. The early versions of Altura’s Attack trousers were about the most suitable I’ve managed to find.

A quick look at the Rose Bikes web site suggests it is perpetuating the one-dimensional sizing of riding trousers. 🙁

g5604
    Free Member

These are great and the legs are stupidly long:
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/showers-pass-rogue-pant-2529.html

nedrapier

sister’s jeans, surely?

lunge

Dare I be the first to not answer the question and answer baggies over tights?

GregMay
    Free Member

Pretty sure Surly do some riding pants with stupidly long legs.

cinnamon_girl

Plenty of windproof ladies ones at Rose Bikes, there’s normally more mens clothing than ladies. Is confused.

ChrisL

I’ve lasted this long without succumbing to baggies over longs, I don’t want to give up now!

The Rogue pants would still require that I get the XL size to get the leg length. That’s better than some but still one size or so too large at the waist. I’ll give it some more thought.

ChrisL

cinnamon_girl – Member

Plenty of windproof ladies ones at Rose Bikes, there’s normally more mens clothing than ladies. Is confused.

It’s not that Rose Bikes doesn’t sell riding trousers, it’s that they’re sized S-M-L-XL-XXL-etc. If I want a long leg I have to get a big waist. It would be nice to get some riding trousers sized like normal trousers – available in a variety of waist size/leg length combinations.

cinnamon_girl

Ah, thanks for explaining. Have you checked out Ground Effect yet?

Edit: my son has the same problem, being very tall, long limbed and slim. Dark side though and I think Castelli works for him.

ChrisL

I’ve not looked at Ground Effect yet, pesky work getting in the way of giving this a lot of attention. 😉 I’ll look into them in the evening.

markshires
    Free Member

What about wearing a belt if it is only one size? One of those canvas style soft belts with loops rather than a buckle?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’ve been very impressed with Endura Zyme trousers, although they are not remotely baggy. Look very much like normal trousers, if not quite office-wear.

Seem to be pretty robust too, no signs of wear after a year even though I don’t normally find Endura stuff to be durable.

C_G, they might well suit tall and slim, I’m 5’10” and 10 stone, and the small size fits me like a glove – could be worth checking the size guide for larger sizes.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I can confirm Showers Pass pants are long!

Northwind

I – Don’t like your tweed, sir!
    Will – Teach you the professor’s ready!
    Not – Let’s see who strikes the loudest!
    Lose – Put on my riding trousers!

No I have nothing useful to add, sorry Chris. Riding trousers are weird as are really tall skinny people

cinnamon_girl

offthebrakes – less riding, more eating! 😉 Very good point about checking their sizing, just tend to associate them with mtb. Have you tried their tights, assuming they’d be as good quality as their baggies and trousers are.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Shorts and Deep Heat? Or ask a co-worker to help you warm up? On a serious not Ground Effect stuff is fantastic quality (are you listening Endura?), I have 3/4 length tights that are pretty much like new after 6 years I think and a submerino top that is also going strong despite a few square goes with brambles, branches and ground. It’s getting a bit threadbare now but I’ve worn it a LOT. Their trousers have belt loops but it might be worth getting them taken in by a seamstress?

househusband

Keela? I’m on my second pair of Scuffer trousers but sounds like they might be overkill for your needs so maybe the Roadrunners?

ChrisL

Ground Effect Ranchsliders are sized S-M-L-XL. According to their sizing chart it looks like I’m a M waist and an XL leg, so not improvement over most other options. 🙁

Those Keela things on the other hand actually have separate waist size and leg length options! Amazing, it’s like a cyclewear company has caught up with what every other manufacturer of trousers has done for decades. Wait, that’s not really that amazing, is it? Still they’re worth further investigation.

The Rouges + belt option is still a possibility too.

househusband

Keela, although mostly sold online, do have a shop in Glenrothes – rather out your way though I do appreciate!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding Trousers’ is closed to new replies.