Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Riding to the hospital for teeth extraction – sensible?
  • medoramas
    Free Member

I’ve got an appointment with the hospital tomorrow morning for some “pleasant” experience (two back teeth extraction). Is it sensible to ride there and back, or should I better take a taxi?

I was advised by the doctor while on x-ray that they recommend that someone drives my there and back, but this would mean “taxi” in my case (the wife’s a teacher, can’t take a day off and she’s got the car).

Would I die riding back home?

DrP

I’d take the taxi.
    You’ll be groggy, and not really up for it.

DrP

martinhutch

You won’t want to ride back. Really.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I had a wisdom tooth removed at the dentist’s a couple of weeks ago. He gave me a sheet of instructions and some spare swabs. Amongst the instructions was ‘No exercise for 24 hours’ and I think this is just to give the hole a chance to heal without blood pumping out when your heart rate rises. Since you are going to a hospital and having two extractions I’d err on the side of caution and get the taxi

Moses

Riding to the hospital – sensible
    Riding back form the hospital – not very sensible at all

medoramas
    Free Member

OK, thanks for getting me on the right track! 😉

scaled
    Free Member

I had one of my wisdom teeth removed under sedation.

The receptionist asked me how I was getting home. I told her, rather groggily I was riding my bike which I’d parked round the back.

She had a pretty horrified look on her face as I was just about managing to stand up. Thankfully my Mrs then stood up in the waiting room, informed me that I’d not in fact ridden there and she was there to give me a lift home.

I’d get the taxi 😀

martinhutch

If you do choose to ride back though, get a mate to follow you and video it.

Best of luck, hopefully not too nasty.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Ride to the hospital = Lose back teeth

Ride home from hospital = Lose front teeth

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Do it.

Also attach GoPro.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

Do it.

Also attach GoPro.

hot_fiat

Had a LR7 root canal and then the impacted bastard LR8 removed under separate sedation.

You wont want to ride, at all. I’d really suggest blagging a lift there and back with someone, anyone. Where are you?

The sedation drugs seem to work by blocking memory writing. So if you were to fall off or have an accident your side of things would likely be missing, or dismissed as inadmissible. Imagine being the most drunk ever. Then have a round of jagerbombs and some whisky shooters. That drunk, but somehow you can still balance. You function as a person, but nothing gets written down.

As the sedation wears off you can get some flashbacks which do get written – I have distinct memories of running out of music on my ipod and being shown the offending tooth, I also recall shouting at Mike (my dentist is one of my best friends) “MORE DRUGS!”. Apparently I tried to take a selfie, but sadly I have no recollection of this.

natrix
    Free Member

Most hospitals are on a bus route, so you could investigate the bus…….

julians
    Free Member

If you’re just having a local anesthetic I’d expect you to be fine to ride home, if you’re being knocked out/sedated then forget riding home.

I had two Wisdom teeth out under local anesthetic in my lunch hour, drove there,had teeth removed, drove back to work and carried on working. It was no big deal really.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Ride in, push bike home.

nedrapier

Ride in, push bike home

That was my thought. use it like a zimmer frame if you’re unsteady!

andyl
    Free Member

if you are getting knocked out then you wont be allowed to go home by yourself and will have to be driven/taxi. When I lived about 5 minute walk from the hospital in Bristol they wouldnt let me walk home and I had to call my friend to go fetch his car and pick me up.

hot_fiat

Broken yet?

ransos
    Free Member

If you’re just having a local anesthetic I’d expect you to be fine to ride home, if you’re being knocked out/sedated then forget riding home.

Hmm. I had two wisdom teeth out last year under local. I wouldn’t have wanted to ride my bike afterwards, if only because my still-anaesthetized jaw meant I was dribbling blood uncontrollably down my chin. I don’t think exercise would have improved matters…

paul21
    Free Member

NO, I would sugget not to ride back. Take a cab.

You may feel like you can ride back because of the anesthesia but afterwards you’ll feel awful. I hear sometimes that it could cause death if you stress out too much.

woody2000

[video]https://youtu.be/oS3Olh9DnaE[/video]

bobbybobbyb
    Free Member

I had the same issue and chose to ride home. Randomly chose the singlespeed too.
    I thought I was fine until getting home, turned out I had been bleeding out my mouth all down my front. looked like something from a cycle based horror film. I hadn’t noticed and must have looked horrific. Felt sick and bled for hours…. I’ll get a taxi next time…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Riding to the hospital for teeth extraction – sensible?’ is closed to new replies.