Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding to Glendeterra/Skiddaw from Keswick.
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Was thinking of riding around Keswick tomorrow and was planning on doing the loop up to Skiddaw House to extend the Borrowdale Bash. I know the railway track is closed – what’s the alternative route out to Threlkeld like?
    http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/737365/boardwalk-reopening-map-18032016.pdf

It looks like there’s a fair bit more climbing on the way out but I don’t think I know the track/trail it uses – what’s it like?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you fancy extending the bash, carry on through Rosthwaite up honister. Then wharnscale bottom and then up through Rigg beck. Cracking day that.

And do walla and falcon crag too.

Trekster

I’d be inclined to choose the C2C route or one of the ones similar.
    The other one is best as a return/descent 😆 ie Latrigg Terrace 😆 😆

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Follow Brundholme Road, from just behind the swimming pool all the way to Threlkeld. Nice and quiet and no massive climbs. (There’s also a cut through up to the Blencathra Centre but it’s tricky to describe – you’re probably better sticking to the road).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

(There’s also a cut through up to the Blencathra Centre but it’s tricky to describe – you’re probably better sticking to the road).

I can see the footpath on the OS map (and can plot it on the Garmin). Is that footpath ridable/pushable? It looks like it cuts off about 4km of road.

I must know have ridden that track across Latrigg before but can’t picture it tonight.

Rosthwaite up honister. Then wharnscale bottom and then up through Rigg beck

Need more info….

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It’s mostly ridable; there’s a bit of a carry across a beck where the bank no longer meets a footbridge (winter storm damage), and there’s a push/carry for a couple of minutes near the end; up to the Blencathra Centre.

Rosthwaite up honister. Then wharnscale bottom and then up through Rigg beck

There a nice descent from the back of Fleetwith Pike down to the farm a Warnscale (it’s a bridleway on the map). Then follow the road into Buttermere, past the turn off for Newlands. Just after the village there’s footpath on the right; takes you up Sail Beck which becomes Rigg Beck. Rigg Beck suffered a fair amount damage in the storms so it’s a bit trashed at the moment.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Parked tiger- I rode it after the storms, there’s only one wee landslip, right at the high point, and it’s only maybe 5 metres long.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding to Glendeterra/Skiddaw from Keswick.’ is closed to new replies.